used rags

  • Mark Attwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8 10:18 PM
      Dear all,
      I have been concerned about putting used inky/oily rags in the waste
      system for some time, and a few months back spoke to a guy who cleans
      up chemical spills on roads. He told me I could get an enzyme that I
      could put in a bin with the rags that would "eat" all the
      hydrocarbons and within about 2 months they would be safe to put into
      a regular dump site. I haven't actually done it yet, and wondered if
      anyone else out there had investigated this?

      Mark Attwood
      mark@...
      www.artprintsa.com

      > Are some of you combining rags to make the minimum? Surely you're
      > not tossing them in
      > the trash, and not in the washing machine. So where are you getting
      > your rags cleaned?

    • Graham and Kathy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8 10:23 PM
        Would be glad to get a further report on this if you try it.

        Best,

        Graham Moss
        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com

        On 9/4/08 06:18, "Mark Attwood" <mark@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        > I have been concerned about putting used inky/oily rags in the waste
        > system for some time, and a few months back spoke to a guy who cleans
        > up chemical spills on roads. He told me I could get an enzyme that I
        > could put in a bin with the rags that would "eat" all the
        > hydrocarbons and within about 2 months they would be safe to put into
        > a regular dump site. I haven't actually done it yet, and wondered if
        > anyone else out there had investigated this?
        >
        > Mark Attwood
        > mark@...
        > www.artprintsa.com
      • Lisa Davidson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 11:12 PM
          Are the hydrocarbons in the ink or in the solvents?

          Lisa