Re: DIY exposure units

  • violetaveline
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
      Hi!
      Thank you so much for responding. I am definitely interested in the Gallery Gab issue.
      Also I had a question for you. We have some aquarium/ plant lights. I'm not sure if they
      would work for exposing plates or not. I couldn't find the wave length on the box that they
      came in but I assumed they would be fairly safe (I hope).
      Again thanks for everything and I hope to hear from you soon.
      Violet
      p.s. if you are interested in taking a peek at our work we have a blog:
      http://www.powwow.typepad.com/

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Carter" <mikecarter_au@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone
      > The article on how to build your own ultraviolet contact box is in the June
      > 2007 issue of Galley Gab. If you are unable to get this copy I could email
      > it to you.
      > Another source of DIY information is in the book "Printmaking in the Sun" by
      > Dan Welden and Pauline Muir published by Watson-Guptil New York, ISBN
      > 0-8230-4292-8. Again if you are unable to access this I could scan the
      > relevant page and email it to you.
      > I have been intending for some time to make my own UV light box but have not
      > yet got round to it. I would be glad to hear how you get on.
      > One warning, make sure that your blacklights have a UV wavelength of 360 nm
      > or very close to that. A UV wavelength of 320 nm would be 10 times more
      > hazardous [to your eyesight] and a wavelength of 280 would be 10,000 times
      > more hazardous. [Yes, my "real" job has been in radiation safety}.
      > Regards
      > Mike Carter

    • itsfancyletterpress
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14, 2008
        I recently made my own and get good results from a standard black light with the blue
        glass (purple). Only takes about 3 minutes give or take a few seconds either way. It is not
        pretty by any means but it is effective. When I get time I will buy a couple of more tubes
        and get them mounted quite a bit closer together dial in the set up better. I use a Nuarc
        vacuum table with its exposure unit disconnected. Here is a quick blog post and a quick
        vid on what I do to make a plate. I have cleaned up my process and purchased a piece of
        mounting rubber for the polymer so it is easier and faster to wash the plates out by hand.
        Also the exposure unit has been cleaned up so wires are not hanging out everywhere.

        http://itsfancy.com/pressing_news/?p=30
        http://itsfancy.com/pressing_news/?p=29

        cody