Re: How to Get Ink-Dirty Rags Cleaned in La Cañada/Pasadena A...

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
      Two considerations on reusing cores. For composition rollers, that is
      from TarHeel, the casting process uses centering stars and thus the
      core ends do not need center holes. If for any other type of roller
      covering, the manufacturing process requires center holes on each end
      of the core because of the lathe-like machines used to make and
      finish the roller. It is far less expensive to have new cores made
      with center holes than to add them after the fact. There is typically
      a per core charge to do this from the roller maker, and often that is
      more than new, ready to cover cores. Add in the additional cost to be
      shipping cores around the country, and the time it takes, new cores
      are often the answer. Certain special cores, like Heidelberg, Kluge,
      and Vandercook are specialized and expensive, and thus it makes
      economic sense to reuse those cores. There is one main core maker in
      the US and all of us use them, so pricing, at least at the
      manufacturing end, does not vary. We use another source for custom
      cores, especially for the table top presses, except for C&P pilots,
      and those are a stock item at our core maker.

      So, if the Pilot rollers have center holes on each end of the core,
      send them in.

      Fritz

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "jekenney1" <jkletterpress@...>
      wrote:

      > Speaking of re-use, Fritz, I have usable roller cores from my
      Pilot... I suppose you can get