Re: How to Get Ink-Dirty Rags Cleaned in La Cañada/Pasadena A...

  • jekenney1
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
      Fer cryin' out loud, Scott. I wasn't thinking of using random rags under these
      circumstances. Of course I'd be using the same rags the service required. I used them in
      the class I took at the Armory, and liked them much better than the stuff I got at OSH
      when I tried out my printer at home a few weeks ago.

      And if a print shop didn't want to take me up on my proposal, that would be the way it
      was. Doesn't hurt to ask.

      Not that you don't have good points, but you're running things into the ground here.

      Glad you see my good intentions. Don't worry about making signs or doing calculations. I
      spent thirty-plus years as the person opening a vein making the world better for others
      until my doctor said, "Get out of there before you collapse!" but it was too late.

      Now I'm not about to put someone else in the position of taking meds, nor am I about to
      put on miles wasting gas to save rags. I just have a habit of thinking that "away" means
      out of my sight, but what then? It's my own curse. I'll deal with it - but in a group like this,
      if I *could* get some help, I thought I'd ask. Now I have input from a great spectrum of
      minds.

      Let's all go print something.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > drive. Jody could combine errands, but the rags are an unknown quantity
      > and I think Ameripride would reject certain types of rags or throw them
      > away anyway. They like to handle the neat, square cotton rags and those
      > seem to work best in my shop. Even if my service would want to process
      > random rags, what would that add to my monthly cost? Even if I knew the
      > monthly cost, how long would it take me to do the math and what would it
      > cost me to ask my clerk to make a monthly invoice to charge fairly for
      > the service? If I were to become really good at doing that, then word
      > would spread and soon green-thinking home printers would be driving
      > their cars from all over to deliver their worn bits of cotton and
      > polyester and rayon to me, turning me into a proxy rag cleaning service.
      > Then I'd have to hire another employee to handle that department and I'd
      > have to make an area in the shop for people to come and a sign. There'd
      > have to be a sign made, and I'd develop so much angst thinking about so
      > many people driving their cars to and fro to save a wee bit of cotton
      > that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my own struggling business
      > anymore and I'd have to start taking some sort of nitroglycerin lozenges
      > to keep me shuffling through these last few years.
      >
      > So far, I'm sticking to the idea that it's the environmentally
      > friendliest thing to do to throw rags away after use, when you're in a
      > hobby or home situation.
      >
      > There is not only a point of diminishing returns, there is a point of no
      > return when you get too antsy about the environment. We're probably
      > about to be warned that we're getting off topic here, even though I
      > think the environment is part of the topic of any hobby or industry. It
      > is interesting trying to figure out what's green and when even green
      > behavior gets to that point of no returns.
      >
      > Graham and Kathy wrote:
      > > What a good idea. If they have so little money value to you that you could
      > > throw them away, why not do the decent thing and give them free of charge to
      > > a shop that already pays for a cleaning service. We have to make our world
      > > a cleaner place, and small a step though it is, it is a step at least
      > > towards thinking and acting cleaner. And only a phone call away!
      > >
      > > Graham Moss
      > > Incline Press
      > > 36 Bow Street
      > > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      > > http://www.inclinepress.com
      > >

      > > On 8/4/08 17:16, "lemontreepress@..." <lemontreepress@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> It's really not a cost concern that should encourage you not to toss your
      > >> rags. It's environmental. Here's an opportunity to " help the planet." You
      > >> could call print shops in the yellow pages and see if any of them have
      > >> laundry
      > >> service which you could tap into for a small monthly fee and find others in
      > >> the area who could do the same. Just a thought.

    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
        Two considerations on reusing cores. For composition rollers, that is
        from TarHeel, the casting process uses centering stars and thus the
        core ends do not need center holes. If for any other type of roller
        covering, the manufacturing process requires center holes on each end
        of the core because of the lathe-like machines used to make and
        finish the roller. It is far less expensive to have new cores made
        with center holes than to add them after the fact. There is typically
        a per core charge to do this from the roller maker, and often that is
        more than new, ready to cover cores. Add in the additional cost to be
        shipping cores around the country, and the time it takes, new cores
        are often the answer. Certain special cores, like Heidelberg, Kluge,
        and Vandercook are specialized and expensive, and thus it makes
        economic sense to reuse those cores. There is one main core maker in
        the US and all of us use them, so pricing, at least at the
        manufacturing end, does not vary. We use another source for custom
        cores, especially for the table top presses, except for C&P pilots,
        and those are a stock item at our core maker.

        So, if the Pilot rollers have center holes on each end of the core,
        send them in.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "jekenney1" <jkletterpress@...>
        wrote:

        > Speaking of re-use, Fritz, I have usable roller cores from my
        Pilot... I suppose you can get