Re: [PPLetterpress] How to Get Ink-Dirty Rags Cleaned in La Cañada/Pasadena A...

  • Graham and Kathy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
      What a good idea. If they have so little money value to you that you could
      throw them away, why not do the decent thing and give them free of charge to
      a shop that already pays for a cleaning service. We have to make our world
      a cleaner place, and small a step though it is, it is a step at least
      towards thinking and acting cleaner. And only a phone call away!

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      http://www.inclinepress.com

      On 8/4/08 17:16, "lemontreepress@..." <lemontreepress@...> wrote:

      > It's really not a cost concern that should encourage you not to toss your
      > rags. It's environmental. Here's an opportunity to " help the planet." You
      > could call print shops in the yellow pages and see if any of them have
      > laundry
      > service which you could tap into for a small monthly fee and find others in
      > the area who could do the same. Just a thought.
      >
      > Nancy Bloch

    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
        At least in our area, the commercial laundries will service only
        their own products, and not some unknown material, such as paint rags
        that if from Home Depot, are probably from a third world source. The
        commercial shop rags are made to specifications for the type of
        cleaning chemicals and processes that are used in their operations.
        But, working with someone who already has a service contract with a
        laundry is an excellent idea--it covers not only printers, but
        machine shops, gas stations, etc. Not only environmentally smart, but
        also smart for regulatory mandates as well.

        Fritz

        > What a good idea. If they have so little money value to you that
        you could
        > throw them away, why not do the decent thing and give them free of
        charge to
        > a shop that already pays for a cleaning service. We have to make
        our world
        > a cleaner place, and small a step though it is, it is a step at
        least
        > towards thinking and acting cleaner. And only a phone call away!
        >

        > Graham Moss

        > On 8/4/08 17:16, "lemontreepress@..." <lemontreepress@...> wrote:
        >
        > > It's really not a cost concern that should encourage you not to
        toss your
        > > rags. It's environmental. Here's an opportunity to " help the
        planet." You
        > > could call print shops in the yellow pages and see if any of
        them have
        > > laundry
        > > service which you could tap into for a small monthly fee and
        find others in
        > > the area who could do the same. Just a thought.
        > >
        > > Nancy Bloch
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
          Because then you're burning even more gasoline and wasting your time and
          wearing out your bearings carting things about.

          The original poster on this topic is near me and has good intentions and
          I could offer that she bring the rags to my place, but it's a 20 minute
          drive. Jody could combine errands, but the rags are an unknown quantity
          and I think Ameripride would reject certain types of rags or throw them
          away anyway. They like to handle the neat, square cotton rags and those
          seem to work best in my shop. Even if my service would want to process
          random rags, what would that add to my monthly cost? Even if I knew the
          monthly cost, how long would it take me to do the math and what would it
          cost me to ask my clerk to make a monthly invoice to charge fairly for
          the service? If I were to become really good at doing that, then word
          would spread and soon green-thinking home printers would be driving
          their cars from all over to deliver their worn bits of cotton and
          polyester and rayon to me, turning me into a proxy rag cleaning service.
          Then I'd have to hire another employee to handle that department and I'd
          have to make an area in the shop for people to come and a sign. There'd
          have to be a sign made, and I'd develop so much angst thinking about so
          many people driving their cars to and fro to save a wee bit of cotton
          that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on my own struggling business
          anymore and I'd have to start taking some sort of nitroglycerin lozenges
          to keep me shuffling through these last few years.

          So far, I'm sticking to the idea that it's the environmentally
          friendliest thing to do to throw rags away after use, when you're in a
          hobby or home situation.

          There is not only a point of diminishing returns, there is a point of no
          return when you get too antsy about the environment. We're probably
          about to be warned that we're getting off topic here, even though I
          think the environment is part of the topic of any hobby or industry. It
          is interesting trying to figure out what's green and when even green
          behavior gets to that point of no returns.

          Graham and Kathy wrote:
          > What a good idea. If they have so little money value to you that you could
          > throw them away, why not do the decent thing and give them free of charge to
          > a shop that already pays for a cleaning service. We have to make our world
          > a cleaner place, and small a step though it is, it is a step at least
          > towards thinking and acting cleaner. And only a phone call away!
          >
          > Graham Moss
          > Incline Press
          > 36 Bow Street
          > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          > http://www.inclinepress.com
          >

          > On 8/4/08 17:16, "lemontreepress@..." <lemontreepress@...> wrote:
          >
          >> It's really not a cost concern that should encourage you not to toss your
          >> rags. It's environmental. Here's an opportunity to " help the planet." You
          >> could call print shops in the yellow pages and see if any of them have
          >> laundry
          >> service which you could tap into for a small monthly fee and find others in
          >> the area who could do the same. Just a thought.
          >>
          >> Nancy Bloch

        • jekenney1
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
            Thanks, Fritz and all. My problem with the whole thing is environmental AND cost. I can't
            afford to throw things "away" if I can help it. But if I can work with an established print
            shop (or machine shop, or gas station) for a nominal fee, ideally it would be no problem
            for them and a big relief to my environmentally-overloaded conscience, honed to a
            painfully sharp point over 55 years.

            Because I'm a student at PCC, I thought I'd continue my investigations by talking to the
            printing department there. I know that their machine shop gets rags cleaned, and my
            guess is that they all use the same service.

            There's a print shop just down the street from my home. I'll talk with them and see what
            happens, and report back to the group.

            Speaking of re-use, Fritz, I have usable roller cores from my Pilot... I suppose you can get
            them re-covered! Next time I need ink, I'll send them along to you.

            I appreciate everyone's brainstorming on this topic.

            Jody

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "nagraph1" <nagraph@...> wrote:

            > At least in our area, the commercial laundries will service only
            > their own products, and not some unknown material, such as paint rags
            > that if from Home Depot, are probably from a third world source. The
            > commercial shop rags are made to specifications for the type of
            > cleaning chemicals and processes that are used in their operations.
            > But, working with someone who already has a service contract with a
            > laundry is an excellent idea--it covers not only printers, but
            > machine shops, gas stations, etc. Not only environmentally smart, but
            > also smart for regulatory mandates as well.
            >
            > Fritz
            >
            > > What a good idea. If they have so little money value to you that
            > you could
            > > throw them away, why not do the decent thing and give them free of
            > charge to
            > > a shop that already pays for a cleaning service. We have to make
            > our world
            > > a cleaner place, and small a step though it is, it is a step at
            > least
            > > towards thinking and acting cleaner. And only a phone call away!
            > >

            > > Graham Moss
            >
            > > On 8/4/08 17:16, "lemontreepress@" <lemontreepress@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > It's really not a cost concern that should encourage you not to
            > toss your
            > > > rags. It's environmental. Here's an opportunity to " help the
            > planet." You
            > > > could call print shops in the yellow pages and see if any of
            > them have
            > > > laundry
            > > > service which you could tap into for a small monthly fee and
            > find others in
            > > > the area who could do the same. Just a thought.
            > > >
            > > > Nancy Bloch

          • Sarah Hart
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
              Hi group.

              I had thought of using a driveline/car service/machine shop as well,
              but it turns out they have a separate service due to the scrap metals
              they tend to have in their rags. I talked to a local shop and even
              their clean rags often tend to have small pieces of metal in them.
              Personally I wouldn't risk using machine shop service rags - I have
              enough "character" on my existing metal rollers!

              Best.
              Sarah

            • jekenney1
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
                Fer cryin' out loud, Scott. I wasn't thinking of using random rags under these
                circumstances. Of course I'd be using the same rags the service required. I used them in
                the class I took at the Armory, and liked them much better than the stuff I got at OSH
                when I tried out my printer at home a few weeks ago.

                And if a print shop didn't want to take me up on my proposal, that would be the way it
                was. Doesn't hurt to ask.

                Not that you don't have good points, but you're running things into the ground here.

                Glad you see my good intentions. Don't worry about making signs or doing calculations. I
                spent thirty-plus years as the person opening a vein making the world better for others
                until my doctor said, "Get out of there before you collapse!" but it was too late.

                Now I'm not about to put someone else in the position of taking meds, nor am I about to
                put on miles wasting gas to save rags. I just have a habit of thinking that "away" means
                out of my sight, but what then? It's my own curse. I'll deal with it - but in a group like this,
                if I *could* get some help, I thought I'd ask. Now I have input from a great spectrum of
                minds.

                Let's all go print something.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > a shop that already pays for a cleaning service. We have to make our world
                > > a cleaner place, and small a step though it is, it is a step at least
                > > towards thinking and acting cleaner. And only a phone call away!
                > >
                > > Graham Moss
                > > Incline Press
                > > 36 Bow Street
                > > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                > > http://www.inclinepress.com
                > >

                > > On 8/4/08 17:16, "lemontreepress@..." <lemontreepress@...> wrote:
                > >
                > >> It's really not a cost concern that should encourage you not to toss your
                > >> rags. It's environmental. Here's an opportunity to " help the planet." You
                > >> could call print shops in the yellow pages and see if any of them have
                > >> laundry
                > >> service which you could tap into for a small monthly fee and find others in
                > >> the area who could do the same. Just a thought.

              • nagraph1
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Two considerations on reusing cores. For composition rollers, that is
                  from TarHeel, the casting process uses centering stars and thus the
                  core ends do not need center holes. If for any other type of roller
                  covering, the manufacturing process requires center holes on each end
                  of the core because of the lathe-like machines used to make and
                  finish the roller. It is far less expensive to have new cores made
                  with center holes than to add them after the fact. There is typically
                  a per core charge to do this from the roller maker, and often that is
                  more than new, ready to cover cores. Add in the additional cost to be
                  shipping cores around the country, and the time it takes, new cores
                  are often the answer. Certain special cores, like Heidelberg, Kluge,
                  and Vandercook are specialized and expensive, and thus it makes
                  economic sense to reuse those cores. There is one main core maker in
                  the US and all of us use them, so pricing, at least at the
                  manufacturing end, does not vary. We use another source for custom
                  cores, especially for the table top presses, except for C&P pilots,
                  and those are a stock item at our core maker.

                  So, if the Pilot rollers have center holes on each end of the core,
                  send them in.

                  Fritz

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "jekenney1" <jkletterpress@...>