How to Get Ink-Dirty Rags Cleaned in La Cañada/Pasadena Area - Home Letterpress?

  • jekenney1
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
      I looked in the archives, but didn't find this addressed much, except for one suggestion to
      call Cintas. So... how are all of you home printers dealing with cleaning your presses? I have
      a great C&P Pilot at home and am raring to go, but when it comes to rags, I don't have
      anywhere to get them cleaned—yet.

      I'm aware that some cleaning services have a minimum they want to deal with on an account.
      Are some of you combining rags to make the minimum? Surely you're not tossing them in
      the trash, and not in the washing machine. So where are you getting your rags cleaned?

      "Enquiring" minds want to know. At least this printer does.

      Thanks for your help,

      Jody Kenney
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
        Throw them away. You live close to enough thrift stores that you
        don't have to wash them. Washing them in your own washer I don't
        think is good. Washing them with a large service (I use Ameripride)
        is probably efficient and a little "greener" than doing it at home,
        but you've got to have lot of production to make it worth while.

        The material that goes into making a rag is worth a lot less than the
        resources it takes to wash it.

        --Scott

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
          I'd have to agree. Toss em. California law only requires that they be
          "dry." And California is kind of tough on just about everything. Far
          more valuable resources would be required (and wasted) to recondition
          dirty rags. I doubt most of us here are really major contributors to
          any oddly environmentally conceived printers' rag problem. If it's all
          about political awareness?, let's concentrate our energies on the more
          significant, say China and Irag, and give way to the petty.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

          > Throw them away. You live close to enough thrift stores that you
          > don't have to wash them. Washing them in your own washer I don't
          > think is good. Washing them with a large service (I use Ameripride)
          > is probably efficient and a little "greener" than doing it at home,
          > but you've got to have lot of production to make it worth while.
          >
          > The material that goes into making a rag is worth a lot less than the
          > resources it takes to wash it.
          >
          > --Scott
          >
          > On Apr 7, 2008, at 4:27 PM, jekenney1 wrote:
          >
          > > I looked in the archives, but didn't find this addressed much,
          > > except for one suggestion to
          > > call Cintas. So... how are all of you home printers dealing with
          > > cleaning your presses? I have
          > > a great C&P Pilot at home and am raring to go, but when it comes to
          > > rags, I don't have
          > > anywhere to get them cleaned—yet.
          > >
          > > I'm aware that some cleaning services have a minimum they want to
          > > deal with on an account.
          > > Are some of you combining rags to make the minimum? Surely you're
          > > not tossing them in
          > > the trash, and not in the washing machine. So where are you getting
          > > your rags cleaned?
          > >
          > > "Enquiring" minds want to know. At least this printer does.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help,
          > >
          > > Jody Kenney

        • Cody L
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
            Jody,

            Sorry but I toss them as well. Home depot has a box of
            painters rags that have a low enough lint content for
            me to be quite happy using and discarding them. I
            don't think I can get a bag cleaned for the $18 it
            costs to get a new box of rags. Nice cotton t-shirt
            material. Just go the to paint department.

            cody