Smith College Curator to Speak at Wells College

  • bookartscenter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 1:02 PM
      We hope you will reserve the evening of April 17th to join us in
      welcoming Martin Antonetti, Curator of Rare Books in the Mortimer Rare
      Book Room at Smith College, as he presents the 27th Susan Garretson
      Swartzburg '60 Memorial Book Arts Lecture. Mr. Antonetti's lecture,
      entitled "Arrighi's `New Invention of Letters:' Scribes, Printers, &
      Patrons in Renaissance Rome," will be held in the auditorium of
      Stratton Hall on the Wells College campus on Thursday, April 17, 2008
      at 8:00 pm. A reception for the speaker will immediately follow the
      lecture in the Stratton Atrium.

      Ludovico degli Arrighi, or Vicentino (1480?-1527?), printer, scriptor
      in the Papal Chancery, and calligrapher of luxury manuscripts, was
      active in Rome in the early decades of the 16th century. His
      experience in calligraphy led him to create an influential pamphlet on
      handwriting in 1522 called La Operina, which taught italic type script
      in the chancery style. This work, a 32-page woodblock printing, was
      the first of several such publications. Fewer than fifteen manuscripts
      have been attributed to him, of which only two are signed. An
      examination of a hitherto unknown illuminated manuscript of the works
      of Petrarch, signed by Arrighi and bearing the date 1508, now adds
      substantially to our knowledge of Arrighi's early days in Rome and
      alters some of our basic assumptions about his professional life.
      Mr. Antonetti's lecture is part of the Susan Garretson Swartzburg '60
      Memorial Book Arts Lecture Series, a semi-annual event at Wells
      College that is made possible through the Heiland-Garretson Book Arts
      Lecture Fund, established by Ms. Swartzburg in 1994 and sustained
      through the generosity of her family.

      We look forward to seeing you at Wells College to hear Mr. Antonetti's
      lecture on his exciting discovery.

      For more information, contact Melissa Colbeth at mcolbeth@... or
      315-364-3420.