Re: Vandercook model?

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Harmon Seaver" <hseaver@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any idea what model Vandercook this is?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360037230392&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ebayphotohosting

      That particular press has been discussed before (during an earlier
      posting on eBay), it might even have been on this list. It is similar
      to an 032, but I don't recall if anyone determined an exact model.
      The problem with it is that appears to be missing the bed.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Harmon Seaver
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Harmon Seaver" <hseaver@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone have any idea what model Vandercook this is?

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360037230392&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ebayphotohosting

        > That particular press has been discussed before (during an earlier
        > posting on eBay), it might even have been on this list. It is similar
        > to an 032, but I don't recall if anyone determined an exact model.
        > The problem with it is that appears to be missing the bed.
        > --Eric Holub, SF

        Do you have a link to that discussion? I've tried searching for it
        on this list, but don't find it. Looking at the Vandercook site, I
        don't think this is a 32 at all, it looks more like the 14.
        http://vandercookpress.info/images/20or21.jpg But since I don't have
        it here yet to really look it over... 8-)
      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Harmon Seaver" <hseaver@...> wrote:

          > [. . .]
          > Do you have a link to that discussion? I've tried searching for it
          > on this list, but don't find it. Looking at the Vandercook site, I
          > don't think this is a 32 at all, it looks more like the 14.
          > http://vandercookpress.info/images/20or21.jpg

          Right, Vandercook 32, not 032. At Vandercook.info it is part of the
          15-series. These presses were galley-height and had ink plates at each
          end, and a ink carriage that slides to either end and can fit into the
          cylinder gap when the cylinder is at the end. The press at auction
          lacks its ink plates and carriage, and it appears to me to be missing
          the bed, all things that might have been removed to lighten it during
          a move. It has definitely been taken apart once, because the cylinder
          has been rotated out of its proper position; the gap should be at
          bottom when the cylinder is at either end.
          I can't remember where the discussion was, maybe off-list since my
          seaches of PPLP and SFLP don't turn it up either, and it happened
          before Vanderblog. I did print out the pictures of that press the
          first time it was offered, and I'm sure it's the exact same press.
          The only press of this series I've seen is the 32, and though your
          press is slightly different (no gear guards, no holes in casting of
          frame, no gear rack for the inking unit), these presses evolved over
          time and don't always look exactly like the type-examples at
          Vandercook.info.
          At Vandercook.info there is this line in the 15-series section:
          "#5739 (1931) appears to be an early 15 or 16, with a crank. It
          started at $250 on eBay in July 2004" and I wonder if that might be
          the press in question.
          For comparison I have added two photos of the 32 to the photos
          section here. The second shows how the ink plate fits into the frame,
          although this particular 32 has had the ink carrige removed.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • Arie Koelewyn
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
            I don't think the bed is missing. The Art Department at MSU has one
            just like this and it definitely is not missing the bed, but it does
            have two "cutouts" one at either end like this one. Maybe this was so
            you could roll a turtle up and easily unload a heavy form?

            The one at MSU has a serial number? AY1470 next to the name plate. I've
            got a photo of the nameplate, but moved the camera and so the picture is
            quite blurry. I also have photos of a Vandercook #4, Serial No 13233, a
            Potter Proof Press and a Baltimore Jobber #5. There's also 3 10x15 C&Ps
            in the Art Department and a Kelsey 3x5. This in addition to a
            Vandercook #325A and a NS 10x15 C&P that I gave the University last
            year. The latter two are in the new Residential College of Arts and
            Humanities, not the Art Department.

            ---Arie Koelewyn
            The Paper Airplane Press
            East Lansing, MI
            USA

            parallel_imp wrote:
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Harmon Seaver" <hseaver@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Does anyone have any idea what model Vandercook this is?
            >>

            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360037230392&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ebayphotohosting
            >
            > That particular press has been discussed before (during an earlier
            > posting on eBay), it might even have been on this list. It is similar
            > to an 032, but I don't recall if anyone determined an exact model.
            > The problem with it is that appears to be missing the bed.
            > --Eric Holub, SF

          • Harmon Seaver
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
              Do you have a link for those photos, or could you otherwise email
              them to me?

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Arie Koelewyn <koelewyn@...> wrote:

              > I don't think the bed is missing. The Art Department at MSU has one
              > just like this and it definitely is not missing the bed, but it does
              > have two "cutouts" one at either end like this one. Maybe this was so
              > you could roll a turtle up and easily unload a heavy form?
              >
              > The one at MSU has a serial number? AY1470 next to the name plate.
              I've
              > got a photo of the nameplate, but moved the camera and so the
              picture is
              > quite blurry. I also have photos of a Vandercook #4, Serial No
              13233, a
              > Potter Proof Press and a Baltimore Jobber #5. There's also 3 10x15 C&Ps
              > in the Art Department and a Kelsey 3x5. This in addition to a
              > Vandercook #325A and a NS 10x15 C&P that I gave the University last
              > year. The latter two are in the new Residential College of Arts and
              > Humanities, not the Art Department.
              >
              > ---Arie Koelewyn
              > The Paper Airplane Press
              > East Lansing, MI
              > USA
              >

              > parallel_imp wrote:
              > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Harmon Seaver" <hseaver@>
              wrote:

              > >> Does anyone have any idea what model Vandercook this is?

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360037230392&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ebayphotohosting

              > > That particular press has been discussed before (during an earlier
              > > posting on eBay), it might even have been on this list. It is similar
              > > to an 032, but I don't recall if anyone determined an exact model.
              > > The problem with it is that appears to be missing the bed.
              > > --Eric Holub, SF

            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Arie Koelewyn <koelewyn@...> wrote:

                > I don't think the bed is missing. The Art Department at MSU has one
                > just like this and it definitely is not missing the bed, but it does
                > have two "cutouts" one at either end like this one. Maybe this was so
                > you could roll a turtle up and easily unload a heavy form?

                Yeah, I was wrong on this bed hypothesis, having mis-read the photo.
                Downloaded and enlarged, I can see it.
                My apologies to Harmon Seaver for suggesting problems that don't exist.

                --Eric Holub, SF