Upcoming Classes - Evanston, Illinois

  • Eileen Madden
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2008
      With apologies for cross-posting. . . .

      More to follow. . . .

      Letterpress WOW: Printing in the Wonderful World of Type
      With April Sheridan

      April 19 & 20 (Please note - date change)
      Saturday and Sunday 10:00 � 4:00
      Cost $180

      Come celebrate spring as you learn basic letterpress skills � play
      with furniture, type sticks, reglet and lock-up bars. Learn new
      meanings for deadlines and registration. April has lots of fun facts
      about the history of wood type, and can help you explore how
      letterforms can be used as images. The class will collaborate to make
      a unique group project. Each participant will have a copy to take
      away at the end of the day on Sunday.

      Class size is limited to 6 participants.

      Computer Design for Polymer
      With Dana Bowers

      April 22, 29, May 6, 13, 27, & June 3
      Tuesdays 6:00 pm � 9:00 pm
      Cost $270

      This class is designed for letterpress printers who want to learn how
      to best utilize computer design software for letterpress printing.
      Students will design and systematically learn how to layout several
      design elements, including scanning, computer illustration, and type.
      The final product will be to prepare a file to output as film.

      Each class will be 3 hours. The first half of the class will be
      lecture, and the second half will be hands-on application of the
      techniques for personal projects.

      Students should have their own computers with Adobe Illustrator. We
      have a few on site, but encourage bringing your own laptop.

      Class size is limited to 8 participants.

      Bookmaking & Creative Writing for Teachers
      With Leah Mayers

      May 24th
      Saturday 10 � 4
      Cost $108 (includes materials fee)

      This class is for teachers who want their students to love books �
      both inside and out. Leah works with art teachers who want to
      incorporate writing into their curriculum, and/or elementary and
      secondary teachers who want to enhance the teaching of literacy
      through making books and writing poetry. Teachers will walk away with
      samples of multiple structures that will be easy to incorporate into
      regular classrooms as well as art rooms. Leah�s own work as a teacher
      helps her structure projects that work within the constraints of a
      real world classroom.

      Here�s a chance to explore your own creativity rather than grading
      someone else�s.

      ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

      For more information on our studio and classes, please go to http://www.evanstonprintandpaper.com/

      Contact us:

      eileen@...

      or

      847.475.7674

      Thanks.

    • Eileen Madden
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2008
        The classes described below are taught at:

        The Evanston Print & Paper Shop

        1125 Florence Avenue

        Evanston, Illinois

        For more information, or to sign up

        847.475.7674

        or

        eileen@...

        The Poet�s Binding (formerly Limp Paper Binding)

        with Juliayn Coleman

        Saturday, September 27th

        10:00 � 5:00 p.m.

        $104

        This structure is one of the most inviting and graceful of historical
        structures. Using alum-tawed leather straps, bone clasps, and paper
        you will letterpress print lovely designs on the cover and make a book
        that is ideal for poetry chapbooks or your most private musings. We
        will adorn these books with 15th century chevron silk endbands. Open
        to all skill levels.

        Paste Papers & Box Making

        with Lesa Dowd

        Wednesdays - October 1 & 8

        7:00 � 10:00 p.m.

        $110

        One of the earliest methods of decorating papers was to add pigment to
        leftover glue, slather it on paper, and use whatever was handy to add
        shapes, lines, and details. This method has endured through the ages
        because it�s soooo much fun. Come make your own using both
        traditional and modern techniques.

        How better to display your paste papers than to make your very own
        stationery box? Dazzle your friends with the paper you�ve made on
        this original origami box. It�s not too soon to be thinking about
        holiday gifts.

        Intro to Digital Letterpress Printing

        with Stacey Stern of Steracle Press

        Thursdays

        10 weeks from October 2nd � December 4th

        7:00 � 10:00 p.m.

        $385 (plus $25 materials fee)

        In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your
        very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them. Stacey
        will take you from your computer image, to film, to plate, to the
        press. You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks,
        register plates, and print. In the early sessions, Stacey will
        discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern
        adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates. There will be
        time to work on either your own or a group project. (No class
        November 27th)

        Intro to Artists� Books

        with Jen Thomas

        Tuesdays

        October 7th � November 11th

        7:00 � 10:00 p.m.

        $241

        So what exactly is an artist�s book? Well, artists� books continue to
        defy definition and often take many different forms - altered books,
        sculptural books, one-of-a-kind objects, beautifully printed and bound
        multiples. They remain a fantastically creative form for artistic
        expression and visual communication. In this class students will be
        introduced to several basic book structures and image transfer
        techniques that they can then build upon to create their own artists�
        books. Students will be encouraged to view the book as a conceptual
        space and create an artist�s book every week to fully explore the
        medium. Leave any preconceived notions at the door. No previous
        bookbinding experience necessary.

        Computer Design Bootcamp

        with Dana Bowers

        Saturday & Sunday, October 11th & 12th

        11:00 � 5:00 p.m.

        $144

        Want to know how best to translate your designs into letterpress
        friendly files? This two-day workshop will help you take your design
        ideas and prepare them for photo-polymer processing. Don�t have a
        design idea, but want to learn what works? Dana will have a class
        project for you to hone your skills. We will work with Adobe
        Illustrator and Photoshop to learn what works best in letterpress and
        what to avoid. This is a hands-on class, so it�s best to have
        Illustrator and Photoshop, and even better to have them on a laptop
        you can bring to class.

        Millimeter Binding

        with Juliayn Coleman

        Saturday & Sunday, October 25th & 26th

        10:00 a.m. � 5:00 p.m.

        $150

        During the early part of the 1900�s, northern Europeans needed to
        conserve bookbinding materials, and so was born the millimeter
        binding. Allowing only a single millimeter of leather to show on the
        boards at the spine and corners, these bindings made the most of what
        northern European bookbinders of the early 1900�s did have in spades:
        leather paring skills. In this class, we will begin to explore what a
        well-meaning bookbinder can do with these skills. If you have ever
        been curious about working with leather, this is an excellent way to
        get started. And just for fun, we�ll make our own paste papers to
        decorate the larger portion of the covers. Previous experience with
        sewing books will be helpful for this class.

        Quarter Leather Photo Album

        with Lesa Dowd

        Sunday, November 9th

        10:00 a.m. � 4:00 p.m.

        $125

        Participants will create this deluxe photo album using leather on the
        spine to coordinate with beautiful paper covers. Discussion will
        cover appropriate papers for use as pages, considerations for cover
        papers and leather, and archivally sound techniques to put photos into
        the album. Traditional bookbinding techniques will be used from
        folding and sewing the pages to covering the album. Some bookbinding
        experience helpful.

        Paste Paper

        with Juliayn Coleman

        Sunday, November 16th

        12:00 � 3:00 p.m.

        $55

        One of the earliest methods of decorating papers was to add pigment to
        leftover glue, slather it on paper, and use whatever was handy to add
        shapes, lines and details. This method has endured through the ages
        because it�s soooo much fun. Come make your own using both
        traditional and modern techniques.

        Date Book with Cloth Inlays

        with Juliayn Coleman

        Sunday, December 7th

        12:00 � 4:00 p.m.

        $78

        Here is a bookbinding project so attractive, so uniquely expressive,
        it will stun you for its usefulness. It combines something you need
        (a 2009 date book) with an opportunity to construct shockingly
        beautiful patterns in colored bookcloth on the covers. You will
        become comfortable with common bookbinding adhesives, tools, and
        materials in this class. Make a book you will be thrilled to judge by
        its cover, and relieved to have for its content. Open to all skill
        levels.

        Make a Stationery Box

        with Juliayn Coleman

        Saturday, December 13th

        12:00 � 4:00 p.m.

        $75

        Wondering what to do with all that extra stationery you�ve got lying
        around? What about those cards you made in the Holiday Cheer class?
        This workshop takes you through each cut and fold of assembling your
        very own box. It makes an ideal container to keep your own stationery
        organized, or the perfect gift for that special someone.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2008
          Hi Eileen!

          Looks like good fun!

          Hope all's well!

          Cheers
          PF

          On 19 Sep 2008, at 12:18 PM, Eileen Madden wrote:

> [...]
          > beautiful patterns in colored bookcloth on the covers. You will
          > become comfortable with common bookbinding adhesives, tools, and
          > materials in this class. Make a book you will be thrilled to judge by
          > its cover, and relieved to have for its content. Open to all skill
          > levels.
          >

          > Make a Stationery Box
          >
          > with Juliayn Coleman
          >

          > Saturday, December 13th
          >
          > 12:00 – 4:00 p.m.
          >
          > $75
          >

          > Wondering what to do with all that extra stationery you’ve got lying
          > around? What about those cards you made in the Holiday Cheer class?
          > This workshop takes you through each cut and fold of assembling your
          > very own box. It makes an ideal container to keep your own stationery
          > organized, or the perfect gift for that special someone.

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Exquisite Letterpress
          http://slowprint.com

          New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
          Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
          Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
        • Eileen Madden
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
            We have a lot of book & printing related classes starting soon.

            Visit http://www.evanstonprint.net/ for more details.

            Just some of what you'll see on our Workshops page (use the red arrow to the right to see the second page of classes):

            Introduction to Screen Printing with Jessica Taylor - Oct 10 - Nov 7

            Portable Papermaking with Melissa Jay Craig - Oct 9

            Artists' Books with Melissa Jay Craig Oct 10 - Nov 14

            Custom Binding  for Photo Albums with Jen Thomas Oct 14 & 21

            Linoleum Block Printing with Sarah Vogel Oct 16

            Monster Pop ups with Shawn Sheehy Oct 23

            Drum Leaf Binding with Melissa Jay Craig Nov 13

            Introduction to Book Repair with Andrew Huot Nov 20 & 21

            Sewn Boards with Melissa Jay Craig Dec 11 & 12

            Contact us at eileen@... or call 847.475.7674

            Thanks.

            Eileen