Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: platemaking issues

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 12, 2008
      Something new (something old & new) every day. Thanks, Eric.

      My nuArc vacuum frame has a name plate but no model number, no bleed valve,
      but a pressure gauge on the line. It has a glass top hinged within a metal
      frame, with a vacuum area about 21.5 x 25.5. Not clear whether it ever had a
      light attached -- it appears to have been part of a larger apparatus. The
      vacuum space below the glass is sufficient to handle plate material, more than a
      just contact prints.

      Meanwhile, I do dust the plate material with powder to prevent it from
      grabbing the negative. I don't think air bubbles are the cause of the exposure
      irregularities I experienced. Uneven pressure on the plate and negative at the
      edges of the plate (which I have assumed involves some slight bending of the
      glass) seems the likely explanation. Mat board around the plate seems to solve
      the problem completely. Whatever works!

      Thanks,
      Tom

      Tom Parson