Non-lining digital typefaces?

  • Chad Pastotnik
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
      We're starting a new project which will be done in PP and after
      previewing several of the fonts in our collection it struck me that
      they are all lining or based on that system, which is great for
      machine composition but "back in the day" the fluidity of a non lining
      face for fine bookwork was really nice. It's pretty much a period
      piece so a Old Style or possible Transitional face is most appropriate.

      Any digital foundries do this sort of work? If so please, I'm open to
      suggestions. Also to keep in mind we'll need a nice digital Greek to
      accompany.

      Chad

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
        Chad
        Tell me more. I've been working with FontLab for a decade or so (well, however long it's been around)...
        See http://alphabets.com

        Cheers

        >We're starting a new project which will be done in PP and after
        >previewing several of the fonts in our collection it struck me that
        >they are all lining or based on that system, which is great for
        >machine composition but "back in the day" the fluidity of a non lining
        >face for fine bookwork was really nice. It's pretty much a period
        >piece so a Old Style or possible Transitional face is most appropriate.
        >
        >Any digital foundries do this sort of work? If so please, I'm open to
        >suggestions. Also to keep in mind we'll need a nice digital Greek to
        >accompany.
        >
        >Chad

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
        http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
        http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
      • Dan Franklin
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
          Chad Pastotnik asked for sources of typefaces with Old Style figures:

          >Any digital foundries do this sort of work? If so please, I'm open to
          >suggestions. Also to keep in mind we'll need a nice digital Greek to
          >accompany.

          Part of the answer depends on the composition software you use. If
          you use Adobe InDesign, you can specify OS figs if the OpenType font
          you're using has them. The same is true, apparently, of Quark XPress
          7, although I've stopped using Quark and don't know about how well
          they've implemented OpenType.

          If you have an earlier version of Quark or you don't have any
          OpenType fonts, you still may be able to use Type 1 fonts that have
          so-called expert sets, which ordinarily have true small caps, OS
          figs, and a few other characters, like 'ct' and 'st' ligatures, 'ff,'
          'ffi,' and 'ffl' ligatures, and long 's' characters. (Rather than
          manually replace these characters in your document from the separate
          expert fonts, you may want to create a new font with the characters
          you desire in a program like Fontographer or FontLab. While you're
          doing this, you could alter the font to make it more suitable for
          letterpress printing; Gerald Lange has developed an algorithm for
          doing this in FontLab
          (http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/04/font-adjustment-sequence-for-fontlab.html)).

          The p22 foundry (http://p22.com/lanston/) has quite a few fonts that
          are great for letterpress work, some with two versions: one for
          offset printing, the other created directly from the face of metal
          type and therefore designed for letterpress printing. There are quite
          a few Goudy typefaces in the p22 collection.

          If you need a matching Greek, look at Adobe's recently released
          typefaces (http://www.adobe.com/type/index.html), for example,
          Garamond Premier Pro, Arno Pro, Minion Pro, and Sava Pro -- there are
          others. There are advantages to Adobe's OpenType fonts: The OpenType
          implementation is consistent and complete, and their Pro series has
          lots of features: extended character sets, extra language sets like
          Greek and Russian, and often 4 design sizes, like Caption, Text,
          Subhead, and Display. Using the Display size for, say, 12pt text, can
          achieve letterpress quality in the final print.

          I have been disappointed in Monotype's OpenType fonts, even though
          their re-creations from metal faces of the first half of the 20th
          century tend toward spindly -- they seem to have been drawn from the
          metal face of the type and thus are suitable for letterpress -- their
          Bembo is an exception. Monotype's OpenType implementation is not
          complete, and they have sometimes goofy kerning values. As an
          example, I had a lot of extra work to do across 1,600 book pages set
          in Monotype's Dante.

          The p22 OpenType fonts perform well, but they generally have a
          limited character set (small caps, OS figs, and the five 'f' ligs) --
          this, however, doesn't present a problem in most projects.

          I am disappointed that Hoefler Type Foundry (http://typography.com/)
          (yeah, how cool is that for a domain name) has come late to the
          OpenType scene. They still don't have Requiem in OpenType format, and
          it is just a gorgeous typeface.
        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
            Well here's another one to distract me from actual printing today!

            In a message dated 3/12/2008, chad@... writes:

            ..."back in the day" the fluidity of a non lining
            face for fine bookwork was really nice.

            My understanding of the term Lining Type is that it used a standard baseline
            for alignment, so various type faces could be used together in the same form
            without difficult adjustments to the leading (using multiples of
            standardized points for spacing). Type made before the standardizing of alignment, still
            was expected to align properly with itself, so a "non lining face" would
            only have "fluidity" if that was part of the punch-cutter's intention or his
            careless execution of the design. What you are seeking is a type that has
            fluidity in the design itself, rather than irregularity in the alignment.

            Most Old Style and Transitional faces should be possibilities, as long as
            the digital versions have not replaced the original qualities with mechanical
            simplifications.

            Tom Parson
            Now It's Up To You Publications
            157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
            (303) 777-8951 home
            (720) 480-5358 cell phone
            http://members.aol.com/typetom

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
              On 12 Mar 2008, at 4:09 PM, typetom@... wrote:

              > Well here's another one to distract me from actual printing today!
              >
              > In a message dated 3/12/2008, chad@... writes:
              >
              > ..."back in the day" the fluidity of a non lining
              > face for fine bookwork was really nice.
              >
              > My understanding of the term Lining Type is that it used a standard
              > baseline
              > for alignment, so various type faces could be used together in the
              > same form

              Lining versus old-style numerals

              lining numerals align in columns, old style are individual widths

              Peter Fraterdeus
              http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
              http://dubuquebookarts.com

            • Lisa Davidson
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                That's funny; I thought lining figures had no ascenders or
                descenders, but OS figures went above and below.

                On Mar 12, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

                > On 12 Mar 2008, at 4:09 PM, typetom@... wrote:
                >

                > > Well here's another one to distract me from actual printing today!
                > >
                > > In a message dated 3/12/2008,chad@... writes:
                > >
                > > ..."back in the day" the fluidity of a non lining
                > > face for fine bookwork was really nice.
                > >
                > > My understanding of the term Lining Type is that it used a standard
                > > baseline
                > > for alignment, so various type faces could be used together in the
                > > same form
                >
                > Lining versus old-style numerals
                >
                > lining numerals align in columns, old style are individual widths
                >
                > Peter Fraterdeus
                > http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
                > http://dubuquebookarts.com

              • Vivian
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                  Hello Gerald -

                  Do you know if it's possible to set up a removable foil stamping unit
                  on the SP-15? I'm new to this, so I don't have much information. Can
                  you advise?

                  Many thanks,

                  Vivian
                  lists@...

                • typetom@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                    In a message dated 3/12/2008, peterf@... writes:

                    ...Lining versus old-style numerals...
                    My apology. The original email did not mention numerals. I assumed in
                    metal-type tunnel-vision that you referred to the standardization of a base line
                    for type which was developed at the end of the 19th century -- the Lining
                    Gothics, ATF's American Line Type, Inland Type Foundry's Standard Line Type, etc.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                      Hi Vivian

                      I don't know. I've never heard of anyone who has done so.

                      Sorry.

                      Vivian wrote:
                      > Hello Gerald -
                      >
                      > Do you know if it's possible to set up a removable foil stamping unit
                      > on the SP-15? I'm new to this, so I don't have much information. Can
                      > you advise?
                      >
                      > Many thanks,
                      >
                      > Vivian
                      > lists@...

                    • Chad Pastotnik
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                        It is possible. I do it on my OS 219. I have a hotplate that's meant
                        to be placed in a platen chase which is temperature controlled and is
                        about 9x12". It takes 1/4" dies which mount to .918. I lock the
                        hotplate into the press bed and adhere the die and I'm ready to go.

                        It is slow going as you've got to tape on the piece of foil to the
                        paper (or include in the gripper) each time but I've never pulled a
                        bad impression with it once I've figured out the correct temperature
                        for the foil and the surface I'm printing on and I've done some pretty
                        solid forms with it. Can't imagine doing some of them on a platen with
                        the same consistent results but as I said it is slow going.

                        Chad Pastotnik
                        Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                        http://www.deepwoodpress.com

                        On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                        > Hi Vivian
                        >
                        > I don't know. I've never heard of anyone who has done so.
                        >
                        > Sorry.
                        >
                        > Gerald
                        > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                        >

                        > Vivian wrote:
                        >> Hello Gerald -
                        >>
                        >> Do you know if it's possible to set up a removable foil stamping unit
                        >> on the SP-15? I'm new to this, so I don't have much information. Can
                        >> you advise?
                        >>
                        >> Many thanks,
                        >>
                        >> Vivian
                        >> lists@...

                      • Chad Pastotnik
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                          Perhaps I've got my terminology wrong. I didn't mean figures, I've
                          plenty of digital fonts with Old Style numeral variants and BTW I'm
                          using InDesign CS2 on a Mac with a reasonable amount of experience
                          though I remember well the old PageMaker and Quark days.

                          What I meant by lining faces was the taking of Old Style fonts and
                          shortening the ascenders and descenders so that they would fit more
                          comfortably on machine composition matrices thus allowing for more
                          body composition on the page. I can't find my reference (tirade) to it
                          in Updike's Printing Types at the moment but it left a distinct
                          impression on me. If you look at a original Baskerville design and
                          compare it to even ATF's version you'll see what I mean. As I find my
                          shop now producing more work via PP I've got to stop tweaking my lead
                          caches and start paying attention to quality digital types being
                          produced.

                          Chad

                          Chad Pastotnik
                          Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                          http://www.deepwoodpress.com

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                            A typeface that might be of use is Matthew Carter's Miller Text and
                            its companion Wilson Greek. These are based on Richard Austin's Scotch
                            Romans of the early 19th century. Austin also cut Bell, which Monotype
                            redid about a hundred years later. Both Miller and Bell share an Ausin
                            nicety, three-quarter height figures. These are a god-send when
                            working with text that uses a lot of numerals.

                            I've used Miller quite a bit, both for offset productions and
                            letterpress. Miller is somewhat of a workhorse with very good optical
                            characteristics. Its web use version is the popular Georgia. There is
                            also a version specifically made for newspaper work and another,
                            Manutius, made specifically for descriptive bibliographic work (a
                            project I was involved with).

                            Miller needs a slight bit of modification for letterpress use. It's a
                            bit heavier than what is typical of a Scotch and it shares some letter
                            fitting problems typical of most digital faces.

                            I've been using Bell quite a bit as of late, it has a bit more funk to
                            it but a lot of quirks as well (character spacing problems due to its
                            origin as a Monotype composition face) but these are easily worked out
                            with software. But alas, there is no Greek match for Bell.

                            Digital typefaces do tend to need a bit of work to configure them for
                            letterpress printing, but the good news is that it can be done with
                            currently available software. This is an option not available in the
                            metal days. You got what you got, love it, or leave it (in the case).

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 12, 2008
                              Chad

                              Looks like we just whizzed past each other in cyberspace.

                              Lanston Type Company's digital Caslon Oldstyle No. 337 was issued, as
                              was the metal, with both the long and short descenders. P22 carries
                              the Lanston line. At text size, the digital 337 is a dead ringer to
                              the original. Many of the Lanston offerings were scanned from
                              reproductions printed directly from the original patterns, so at size,
                              they are quite exacting.

                              A digital rendering of Garamond, LetterPerfect's OldClaude, maintains
                              the long ascender descender style, but alas, is what is known as faux
                              letterpress, incorporating ink spread and letterform wear into its
                              design. I suspect some of the more traditionally inclined independent
                              digital foundries (Storm, et al) have offerings that maintain
                              historical stylistic treatments.

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@...> wrote:

                              > Perhaps I've got my terminology wrong. I didn't mean figures, I've
                              > plenty of digital fonts with Old Style numeral variants and BTW I'm
                              > using InDesign CS2 on a Mac with a reasonable amount of experience
                              > though I remember well the old PageMaker and Quark days.
                              >
                              > What I meant by lining faces was the taking of Old Style fonts and
                              > shortening the ascenders and descenders so that they would fit more
                              > comfortably on machine composition matrices thus allowing for more
                              > body composition on the page. I can't find my reference (tirade) to it
                              > in Updike's Printing Types at the moment but it left a distinct
                              > impression on me. If you look at a original Baskerville design and
                              > compare it to even ATF's version you'll see what I mean. As I find my
                              > shop now producing more work via PP I've got to stop tweaking my lead
                              > caches and start paying attention to quality digital types being
                              > produced.
                              >
                              > Chad
                              >

                              > Chad Pastotnik
                              > Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                              > http://www.deepwoodpress.com

                            • Vivian
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                                Hi Chad -

                                Thanks for the response. Can you advise what type of heated base
                                you're using or point me to a company that supplies this stuff? I
                                kinda know it will be very slow going but what on the SP-15 isn't?

                                On or off list would be great, thank you again.

                                Vivian
                                lists@...

                                On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:56 AM, Chad Pastotnik wrote:

                                > It is possible. I do it on my OS 219. I have a hotplate that's meant
                                > to be placed in a platen chase which is temperature controlled and is
                                > about 9x12". It takes 1/4" dies which mount to .918. I lock the
                                > hotplate into the press bed and adhere the die and I'm ready to go.
                                >
                                > It is slow going as you've got to tape on the piece of foil to the
                                > paper (or include in the gripper) each time but I've never pulled a
                                > bad impression with it once I've figured out the correct temperature
                                > for the foil and the surface I'm printing on and I've done some pretty
                                > solid forms with it. Can't imagine doing some of them on a platen with
                                > the same consistent results but as I said it is slow going.
                                >
                                > Chad Pastotnik
                                > Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                                > http://www.deepwoodpress.com
                                >
                                > On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hi Vivian
                                > >
                                > > I don't know. I've never heard of anyone who has done so.
                                > >
                                > > Sorry.
                                > >
                                > > Gerald
                                > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
                                > >

                                > > Vivian wrote:
                                > >> Hello Gerald -
                                > >>
                                > >> Do you know if it's possible to set up a removable foil stamping
                                > unit
                                > >> on the SP-15? I'm new to this, so I don't have much information.
                                > Can
                                > >> you advise?
                                > >>
                                > >> Many thanks,
                                > >>
                                > >> Vivian
                                > >> lists@...

                              • Chad Pastotnik
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                                  I'm not sure of a make, it's sort of jury-rigged with a thermal couple
                                  going into the base connected to a rheostat(?) to control temperature.
                                  I know they make heated bases for platens so that's probably the best
                                  resource to follow up on and look for. Other's on list or over at
                                  LetPress can probably help you out for suppliers.

                                  ___________________________
                                  Chad Pastotnik
                                  Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                                  http://www.deepwoodpress.com

                                  On Mar 13, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Vivian wrote:

                                  > Hi Chad -
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the response. Can you advise what type of heated base
                                  > you're using or point me to a company that supplies this stuff? I
                                  > kinda know it will be very slow going but what on the SP-15 isn't?
                                  >
                                  > On or off list would be great, thank you again.
                                  >

                                  > Vivian
                                  > lists@...
                                  >

                                  > On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:56 AM, Chad Pastotnik wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> It is possible. I do it on my OS 219. I have a hotplate that's meant
                                  >> to be placed in a platen chase which is temperature controlled and is
                                  >> about 9x12". It takes 1/4" dies which mount to .918. I lock the
                                  >> hotplate into the press bed and adhere the die and I'm ready to go.
                                  >>
                                  >> It is slow going as you've got to tape on the piece of foil to the
                                  >> paper (or include in the gripper) each time but I've never pulled a
                                  >> bad impression with it once I've figured out the correct temperature
                                  >> for the foil and the surface I'm printing on and I've done some
                                  >> pretty
                                  >> solid forms with it. Can't imagine doing some of them on a platen
                                  >> with
                                  >> the same consistent results but as I said it is slow going.
                                  >>
                                  >> Chad Pastotnik
                                  >> Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                                  >> http://www.deepwoodpress.com
                                  >>
                                  >> On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Hi Vivian
                                  >>>
                                  >>> I don't know. I've never heard of anyone who has done so.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Sorry.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Gerald
                                  >>> http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

                                  >> unit
                                  >> Can

                                • parallel_imp
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008

                                    > Lining versus old-style numerals
                                    >
                                    > lining numerals align in columns, old style are individual widths

                                    Peter, perhaps that is how digital designers distinguish numerals now,
                                    but I have plenty of old-style figures, in Linotype mats and
                                    Monotype-based metal type, that also align in columns, what I would
                                    call tabular figures; generally they have an en width.
                                    I was taught that "lining figures" are so called because they line
                                    up with capitals (as opposed to "ranging figures" which range above
                                    and below the x, also known as old style figures).
                                    --Eric Holub, SF
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                      Hi Eric

                                      I think you are correct.
                                      I was thinking tabular versus old-style.
                                      Please enter a plea of guilty for writing before coffee...
                                      Apologies.

                                      >--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Lining versus old-style numerals
                                      >>
                                      >> lining numerals align in columns, old style are individual widths
                                      >>

                                      >Peter, perhaps that is how digital designers distinguish numerals now,
                                      >but I have plenty of old-style figures, in Linotype mats and
                                      >Monotype-based metal type, that also align in columns, what I would
                                      >call tabular figures; generally they have an en width.
                                      > I was taught that "lining figures" are so called because they line
                                      >up with capitals (as opposed to "ranging figures" which range above
                                      >and below the x, also known as old style figures).
                                      >--Eric Holub, SF

                                    • Michael Babcock
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                        Use patent base with 11pt unmounted mag plates and a clothes iron with steam setting
                                        turned off.

                                        mjb / interrobangletterpress.com / linotypesetting.com

                                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Vivian <lists@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello Gerald -
                                        >
                                        > Do you know if it's possible to set up a removable foil stamping unit
                                        > on the SP-15? I'm new to this, so I don't have much information. Can
                                        > you advise?
                                        >
                                        > Many thanks,
                                        >
                                        > Vivian
                                        > lists@...

                                      • Lisa Davidson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                          Strictly from an antiquarian perspective, one should know that on the
                                          VIP, only the "1" was kerned. The figures all had en width.
                                          aren't you glad you didn't ask?