Platemaker inquiry round 2

  • Casey McGarr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2008
      I have an opportunity to purchase an Anderson Vreeland A2 Platemaker and I wanted to know
      what you thought about this product.

      Do the newer models do any thing better than this model.

      If you have needed any repair was it easy to find parts?

      I appreciate any insight this PPLetterpress community can give me.

      Thanks,

      Casey
      iLP
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2008
        Casey

        Depending upon the model and the electrics (which vary), generally most
        parts are readily available, direct from A&V or other US sources. We
        had to redo the ballast board on my A&V Orbital VIII (which I bought new
        and is 13 years old now), because the ballasts were no longer made (or
        replaceable) but other than that, I've had no problems replacing parts.
        It's been a good machine.

        The XIII's replacement, the Orbital X, is a bit more up to date (in
        regard to industry developments) and "universal" in its intent [we redid
        the ballast board in the X configuration]. I'd like to upgrade but for
        some reason it has not, last time I checked, been made in an A2 size.
        Don't know why.

        The main regular replacements (as they end their life cycle) are bulbs,
        brush, ballasts (somewhat in that order). All are expensive.

        Gerald Lange
        http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

        Casey McGarr wrote:
        > I have an opportunity to purchase an Anderson Vreeland A2 Platemaker and I wanted to know
        > what you thought about this product.
        >
        > Do the newer models do any thing better than this model.
        >
        > If you have needed any repair was it easy to find parts?
        >
        > I appreciate any insight this PPLetterpress community can give me.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Casey
        > iLP

      • Casey McGarr
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
          Thanks Gerald for the feedback. I need to ask what year this model was made. I didn't ask
          and haven't found anything on the AV site or any other site when I Google searched the
          model for the production dates.

          Thanks,

          Casey
          www.inkylipspress.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
            Casey

            Look up the contact info on the A&V site and give them an old fashioned
            phone call. Amazing the amount of information that can be obtained in
            that manner!!! Based on the serial number of the machine they would
            certainly know when it was manufactured.

            Good luck

            Gerald