Re-cover rollers or buy new?

  • ductormanpaperboy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hello everyone

      One of the form rollers on my Heidelberg Windmill needs replacing or re-
      covering. I have been given quotes for $150.00 cdn. each for a
      replacement roller, as long as I trade in my old form roller. I suppose
      I would need to replace both forms in order to ink my plates evenly. I
      have been thinking about getting them both re-covered as this option
      may be a little easier on the bank account!! the only problem is I am
      hesitant about shipping off my rollers. I have the boxcar base setup
      and have been double swiping the image with good results. However it is
      very time consuming and annoying at the same time.

      Any advice would be appreciated

      Cheers
      Ian
    • Bethany Carter
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
        Hello Ian,

        I was hesitant at first as well, but as long as you choose a good roller company (NA Graphics, Rotadyne) you really shouldn't have any problems. I have a Vandercook 4 (I'm assuming that the rollers are similar in structure as on your press) and some advice that was given to me was to just make sure you pack your old rollers so they won't punch out the side of the cardboard shipping box and you'll be back to normal printing in no time! There is something to be said however for having an extra set of rollers/cores on hand, that way when you send a set out to be recovered you have a set to print with in the meantime. As you mentioned that can take a toll on the bank account but it is a good investment over the long haul. Hope that helps!

        Best,

        Bethany
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
          Had very good luck with Roll-Crafters in Indianapolis

          Seems they are part of a larger Printing Supply company, and the
          website is not much help, but here's the phone. Reasonable pricing,
          but I don't know if they will supply new cores for the Windmill, or not.

          Roll-Crafters
          contact: Allen 800-627-4479
          phone: +1-(317)-359-2776, 800-428-9180 Fax: +1-(317)-359-3983
          Address: 3902 E. 16th St., Ste. A / PO Box 886, Indianapolis, Indiana
          46201, USA

          Peter Fraterdeus
          http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
          http://dubuquebookarts.com

          On 6 Mar 2008, at 11:44 AM, Bethany Carter wrote:

          > Hello Ian,
          >
          > I was hesitant at first as well, but as long as you choose a good
          > roller company (NA Graphics, Rotadyne) you really shouldn't have any
          > problems. I have a Vandercook 4 (I'm assuming that the rollers are
          > similar in structure as on your press) and some advice that was
          > given to me was to just make sure you pack your old rollers so they
          > won't punch out the side of the cardboard shipping box and you'll be
          > back to normal printing in no time! There is something to be said
          > however for having an extra set of rollers/cores on hand, that way
          > when you send a set out to be recovered you have a set to print with
          > in the meantime. As you mentioned that can take a toll on the bank
          > account but it is a good investment over the long haul. Hope that
          > helps!
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Bethany
        • Chad Pastotnik
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
            I'll second Peter's endorsement of RollCrafters, they made some new
            form rollers for me for my Little Giant and I've been running them
            quite a bit and love them. Amazing what good quality rollers can do to
            make the rest of the job easier. Over the years I've bought new
            rollers from NA Graphics and some other place I can't recall now, it's
            the best thing you can do for your press besides keeping it well
            oiled. Next up when I really have the need is some new ones for the OS
            C&P 8x12 but this is the press that gets used only when it's
            impractical to run the cylinders.

            Chad Pastotnik
            Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
            http://www.deepwoodpress.com

            On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

            > Had very good luck with Roll-Crafters in Indianapolis
            >
            > Seems they are part of a larger Printing Supply company, and the
            > website is not much help, but here's the phone. Reasonable pricing,
            > but I don't know if they will supply new cores for the Windmill, or
            > not.
            >
            > Roll-Crafters
            > contact: Allen 800-627-4479
            > phone: +1-(317)-359-2776, 800-428-9180 Fax: +1-(317)-359-3983
            > Address: 3902 E. 16th St., Ste. A / PO Box 886, Indianapolis, Indiana
            > 46201, USA
            >

            > Peter Fraterdeus
            > http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
            > http://dubuquebookarts.com
            >

            > On 6 Mar 2008, at 11:44 AM, Bethany Carter wrote:
            >

            >> Hello Ian,
            >>
            >> I was hesitant at first as well, but as long as you choose a good
            >> roller company (NA Graphics, Rotadyne) you really shouldn't have any
            >> problems. I have a Vandercook 4 (I'm assuming that the rollers are
            >> similar in structure as on your press) and some advice that was
            >> given to me was to just make sure you pack your old rollers so they
            >> won't punch out the side of the cardboard shipping box and you'll be
            >> back to normal printing in no time! There is something to be said
            >> however for having an extra set of rollers/cores on hand, that way
            >> when you send a set out to be recovered you have a set to print with
            >> in the meantime. As you mentioned that can take a toll on the bank
            >> account but it is a good investment over the long haul. Hope that
            >> helps!
            >>
            >> Best,
            >>
            >> Bethany
          • Steve Robison
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2008
              I'll third Peter's endorsement of RollCrafters.
              I'm a hobby printer, so I don't run them around the
              clock, but I've had my rubber RollCrafters rollers for
              over 15 years and they still look and perform like
              new.
              Mine are a softer rubber made specifically for
              letterpress, so be sure to order their letterpress
              rollers.

              Of course, I take really good care of them. I clean
              them carefully and thoroughly after each run, making
              sure the ends are completely clean too. Between runs I
              store them in a light tight box and keep them in my
              nice cool basement, next to the wine that I never
              drink!

              As most of us know, sunlight and temperature extremes
              are the two main culprits for roller deterioration.
              More so with composition rollers, than rubber. But if
              you can keep them in a cool dark place between runs,
              and make sure the rubber roller part never touches
              anything when stored, then they will last for a very,
              very long time.

              By the way, I only have one set of rollers for each of
              my presses, because I am a hobby printer and can
              always wait for a week if I needed to send them out to
              have them re-cast.

              But I second the earlier suggestion of having two sets
              of rollers if you are running your press commercially
              and continuously. That way you can rotate the new ones
              in while the old are being recast without losing any
              production time...and you always have emergency spares
              in case some dreadful press accident ever destroys
              your first set.

              Best wishes,

              --Steve

              Steve Robison
              The Robison Press
              Belmont, CA (approx. 25 miles south of San Francisco)

              Steve Robison
              robisonsteve@...

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • alncarter2003
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2008
                I would like to offer a different opinion on Roll Crafters. Last April
                I sent a set of three form rollers to them for re-covering and when
                they came back from Roll Crafters I inspected the rollers and found
                that they were out of round. I immediately shipped them back and
                telephoned about the problem. They were very nice on the phone,
                promising to redo them and that I would have my rollers shortly. No
                problem, I thought. I have a second set of rollers and could use them
                until the re-covered rollers arrived.

                Weeks later, in May, with still no rollers I began a series of
                contacts with them which always resulted in promises of imminent
                shipping from the shop foreman but it was only after I contacted the
                company president that I received the rollers in late June.

                The redone rollers were fine and I realize that mistakes can be made
                but 7 weeks for the redo was way out of line and being repeatedly lied
                to was both unprofessional and rude.

                On a more positive note I have heard good things about Ramco Rubber
                and intend to try them next time.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Steve Robison <robisonsteve@...>