Re: Changing the kreene on a platemaker

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Lara

      You might not have to remove the vacuum table to clean that mess up.
      Depends on your machine. On my A&V I can reach back there. The
      solvents Eric suggested will do.

      I don't use the tape or the roll bar. Just a sheet of Kreene cut to
      fit the vacuum table. Like Eric I uee slugs to hold it all in place.
      This works very well. Cut them fairly long to fit the width and length
      of the kreene. I use brass slug rule. It doesn't mark the Kreene nor
      bend. If you decide to use this technique, a bit of a warning though,
      if students use the machine, make sure they are aware of that slug way
      in the back. I've been told that a slug falling off the back of the
      vacuum table can wreak all kinds of havoc.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "laradurback" <laradurback@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > My name is Lara Durback, and I'm the studio manager in Book Art at
      Mills College (a new
      > position here as of Fall 2007). We have a Relief Mate polymer
      platemaker here, and I was
      > about to change the kreene on it when I realized I'm not quite sure
      how. It is duct taped
      > down far back in the drawer from years ago, and I'm not sure how to
      get the drawer far
      > enough out to take it out. Also, it might be nice to clean off the
      goo left from the tape.
      > What could I safely use?
      >
      > I think I remember reading in Gerald Lange's book that taping the
      kreene might not be
      > necessary at all. We also have a metal rod that rolls down to hold
      the kreene in place. Any
      > advice on using it most efficiently?
      >
      > Now I'm off to the library to check out Gerald's book
      again...definitely something we need
      > back in the studio. (Our copy disappeared long before I was here!)
      Just figured this might