Re: Changing the kreene on a platemaker

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "laradurback" <laradurback@...>
      wrote:

      > We have a Relief Mate polymer platemaker here, and I was about to
      > change the kreene on it when I realized I'm not quite sure how. It
      > is duct taped down far back in the drawer from years ago, and I'm
      > not sure how to get the drawer far enough out to take it out. Also,
      > it might be nice to clean off the goo left from the tape.
      > What could I safely use?

      Not having examined the machine in question, I'd point out that there
      will be a connection from the vacuum pump to the drawer. On my own
      machine I can just lift the vacuum plate out of the drawer, but if you
      need to remove the whole drawer, look underneath and first disconnect
      the tubing. Then look for a latch in the runners of the drawer, or
      possibly a stop that is screwed in. Type wash or roller wash should
      remove the adhesive, or try Goo-Gone from the hardware store.
      I use photographer's black Permacel tape, which doesn't leave
      residue like duct tape.

      > We also have a metal rod that rolls down to hold the kreene in
      > place. Any advice on using it most efficiently?

      The rod can help smooth the crene as you roll it out, and keep the
      lead edge from curling up; I use slugs for the same purpose. Some
      machines use two rods, with a longer length of crene, scrolling to
      better parts as needed.

      --Eric Holub, SF
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
        Lara

        You might not have to remove the vacuum table to clean that mess up.
        Depends on your machine. On my A&V I can reach back there. The
        solvents Eric suggested will do.

        I don't use the tape or the roll bar. Just a sheet of Kreene cut to
        fit the vacuum table. Like Eric I uee slugs to hold it all in place.
        This works very well. Cut them fairly long to fit the width and length
        of the kreene. I use brass slug rule. It doesn't mark the Kreene nor
        bend. If you decide to use this technique, a bit of a warning though,
        if students use the machine, make sure they are aware of that slug way
        in the back. I've been told that a slug falling off the back of the
        vacuum table can wreak all kinds of havoc.

        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My name is Lara Durback, and I'm the studio manager in Book Art at
        Mills College (a new
        > position here as of Fall 2007). We have a Relief Mate polymer
        platemaker here, and I was
        > about to change the kreene on it when I realized I'm not quite sure
        how. It is duct taped
        > down far back in the drawer from years ago, and I'm not sure how to
        get the drawer far
        > enough out to take it out. Also, it might be nice to clean off the
        goo left from the tape.
        > What could I safely use?
        >
        > I think I remember reading in Gerald Lange's book that taping the
        kreene might not be
        > necessary at all. We also have a metal rod that rolls down to hold
        the kreene in place. Any
        > advice on using it most efficiently?
        >
        > Now I'm off to the library to check out Gerald's book
        again...definitely something we need
        > back in the studio. (Our copy disappeared long before I was here!)
        Just figured this might