Changing the kreene on a platemaker

  • laradurback
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hello,

      My name is Lara Durback, and I'm the studio manager in Book Art at Mills College (a new
      position here as of Fall 2007). We have a Relief Mate polymer platemaker here, and I was
      about to change the kreene on it when I realized I'm not quite sure how. It is duct taped
      down far back in the drawer from years ago, and I'm not sure how to get the drawer far
      enough out to take it out. Also, it might be nice to clean off the goo left from the tape.
      What could I safely use?

      I think I remember reading in Gerald Lange's book that taping the kreene might not be
      necessary at all. We also have a metal rod that rolls down to hold the kreene in place. Any
      advice on using it most efficiently?

      Now I'm off to the library to check out Gerald's book again...definitely something we need
      back in the studio. (Our copy disappeared long before I was here!) Just figured this might
      be something useful to post. I'd searched the archives and not found anything exactly
      related to my questions.

      I also wanted to introduce myself to the list. Hello, all! Hope I can contribute to
      discussions as well.

      ~Lara
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "laradurback" <laradurback@...>
        wrote:

        > We have a Relief Mate polymer platemaker here, and I was about to
        > change the kreene on it when I realized I'm not quite sure how. It
        > is duct taped down far back in the drawer from years ago, and I'm
        > not sure how to get the drawer far enough out to take it out. Also,
        > it might be nice to clean off the goo left from the tape.
        > What could I safely use?

        Not having examined the machine in question, I'd point out that there
        will be a connection from the vacuum pump to the drawer. On my own
        machine I can just lift the vacuum plate out of the drawer, but if you
        need to remove the whole drawer, look underneath and first disconnect
        the tubing. Then look for a latch in the runners of the drawer, or
        possibly a stop that is screwed in. Type wash or roller wash should
        remove the adhesive, or try Goo-Gone from the hardware store.
        I use photographer's black Permacel tape, which doesn't leave
        residue like duct tape.

        > We also have a metal rod that rolls down to hold the kreene in
        > place. Any advice on using it most efficiently?

        The rod can help smooth the crene as you roll it out, and keep the
        lead edge from curling up; I use slugs for the same purpose. Some
        machines use two rods, with a longer length of crene, scrolling to
        better parts as needed.

        --Eric Holub, SF
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
          Lara

          You might not have to remove the vacuum table to clean that mess up.
          Depends on your machine. On my A&V I can reach back there. The
          solvents Eric suggested will do.

          I don't use the tape or the roll bar. Just a sheet of Kreene cut to
          fit the vacuum table. Like Eric I uee slugs to hold it all in place.
          This works very well. Cut them fairly long to fit the width and length
          of the kreene. I use brass slug rule. It doesn't mark the Kreene nor
          bend. If you decide to use this technique, a bit of a warning though,
          if students use the machine, make sure they are aware of that slug way
          in the back. I've been told that a slug falling off the back of the
          vacuum table can wreak all kinds of havoc.