Re: [PPLetterpress] Choosing a typeface

  • Richard Wilson
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hey Gang,
      This topic has been debated since desktop publishing became affordable in
      the late 1980s. As a design educator, I have heard the pros and cons of the
      trained vs untrained designer (obviously I lean towards the trained.) My
      feeling is that as letterpress continues to grow in popularity for
      practicing designers around the country, the quality of the design will
      improve.

      Occasionally, clients will use untrained designers to save some money, but
      they usually get what they pay for. In terms of books on type, I would
      recommend ³Typographic Design: Form and Communication² by Carter, Day &
      Meggs or ³Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers,
      Editors, & Students² (Design Briefs) by Ellen Lupton. We use both books for
      our intro classes.
      Ric

      On 3/5/08 4:20 PM, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

      > The software package is a tool. It is no better than the person using it.
      >
      > I see this type of situation all the time. A person will buy the most
      > expensive printer, or software and expect it to be "plug & play". Plug it in
      > and work miracles. These people call me all the time. I bought the best I
      > could find. It doesn't do all these wornerful things. Why?.
      >
      > The problem is the nut at the keyboard not the printer or software.
      >
      > Austin Jones
      > prints by AJ
      > austin@... <mailto:austin%40printsbyaj.com>
      > http://printsbyaj.com

      Ric Wilson
      Assistant Professor of Art
      University of Missouri Columbia
      A126 Fine Arts Building
      Columbia, MO 65211-6090
      573.882.4076

    • Austin Jones

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          It ain't the camera, it's the eye behind it ;-)

          However, having said that, there's a BIG difference between setting
          digital type with a professional app like InDesign or Illustrator
          versus Publisher, et al.

          Fractional line and letterspacing for example, hanging punctuation,
          style sheet management, etc.

          All of these are useless unless one knows why they are there, of
          course, but even a great craftsman can be hobbled by lousy chisels.
          Er, how many metaphors have I mixed here anyway!?

          Peter Fraterdeus
          http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
          http://dubuquebookarts.com

          On 5 Mar 2008, at 4:20 PM, Austin Jones wrote:

          > The software package is a tool. It is no better than the person
          > using it.
          >
          > I see this type of situation all the time. A person will buy the most
          > expensive printer, or software and expect it to be "plug & play".
          > Plug it in
          > and work miracles. These people call me all the time. I bought the
          > best I
          > could find. It doesn't do all these wornerful things. Why?.
          >
          > The problem is the nut at the keyboard not the printer or software.

        • filmaker0012001
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2008
            Thanks for all the suggestions, I plan to start looking at some
            speciman books.

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "filmaker0012001" <fsmith01@...>