Re: [PPLetterpress] Choosing a typeface

  • david@sunnyoutside.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5 8:59 AM
      Julie, I was fully agreeing with you, and just taking the sarcasm a bit further. And Scott's point is spot-on, too.

      In some sort of reductive way I think maybe that's why some people use Publisher instead of bothering with Quark or PageMaker or InDesign--they take a look at any of the latter and it seems too complicated. And, I suppose, the programs *are* daunting, at least if you're unfamiliar with terms and techniques.

      Some reciprocal cause and effect, then, between good layout and good layout programs, which folds right into Scott's point, I think.
      __

      David

      On Wed 03/ 5/08 9:01 AM , Julie Larson entdesign@... sent:

    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5 9:01 AM
        It is sometimes interesting to see what noted type designers used for
        their own personal work. W.A. Dwiggins for his private press used 5
        sizes of Bulmer and his own 12 pt. Winchester. The later face was cut
        by Linotype as an experimental face and Dwiggins had 185 lbs of it cast
        as individual type from the Linotype matrices.

        Fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Julie Larson <entdesign@...>
        wrote:

        > For the record, I was being sarcastic about what I tend to see
        created using MS Publisher. Most often it is stuff that will make the
        eyes recoil in horror. Many people that use low end desktop publishing
        programs have no education or training in layout and don't seem to look
        at the whole of their design. This results in clashing elements and
        many examples of inappropriate typography. Color usage is also often
        horrid, at least to my taste.

      • Richard Wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5 12:08 PM
          Hey Gang,
          This topic has been debated since desktop publishing became affordable in
          the late 1980s. As a design educator, I have heard the pros and cons of the
          trained vs untrained designer (obviously I lean towards the trained.) My
          feeling is that as letterpress continues to grow in popularity for
          practicing designers around the country, the quality of the design will
          improve.

          Occasionally, clients will use untrained designers to save some money, but
          they usually get what they pay for. In terms of books on type, I would
          recommend ³Typographic Design: Form and Communication² by Carter, Day &
          Meggs or ³Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers,
          Editors, & Students² (Design Briefs) by Ellen Lupton. We use both books for
          our intro classes.
          Ric

          On 3/5/08 4:20 PM, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

          > The software package is a tool. It is no better than the person using it.
          >
          > I see this type of situation all the time. A person will buy the most
          > expensive printer, or software and expect it to be "plug & play". Plug it in
          > and work miracles. These people call me all the time. I bought the best I
          > could find. It doesn't do all these wornerful things. Why?.
          >
          > The problem is the nut at the keyboard not the printer or software.
          >
          > Austin Jones
          > prints by AJ
          > austin@... <mailto:austin%40printsbyaj.com>
          > http://printsbyaj.com

          Ric Wilson
          Assistant Professor of Art
          University of Missouri Columbia
          A126 Fine Arts Building
          Columbia, MO 65211-6090
          573.882.4076

        • Austin Jones

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5 4:29 PM
              It ain't the camera, it's the eye behind it ;-)

              However, having said that, there's a BIG difference between setting
              digital type with a professional app like InDesign or Illustrator
              versus Publisher, et al.

              Fractional line and letterspacing for example, hanging punctuation,
              style sheet management, etc.

              All of these are useless unless one knows why they are there, of
              course, but even a great craftsman can be hobbled by lousy chisels.
              Er, how many metaphors have I mixed here anyway!?

              Peter Fraterdeus
              http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
              http://dubuquebookarts.com

              On 5 Mar 2008, at 4:20 PM, Austin Jones wrote:

              > The software package is a tool. It is no better than the person
              > using it.
              >
              > I see this type of situation all the time. A person will buy the most
              > expensive printer, or software and expect it to be "plug & play".
              > Plug it in
              > and work miracles. These people call me all the time. I bought the
              > best I
              > could find. It doesn't do all these wornerful things. Why?.
              >
              > The problem is the nut at the keyboard not the printer or software.

            • filmaker0012001
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 12 6:36 AM
                Thanks for all the suggestions, I plan to start looking at some
                speciman books.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "filmaker0012001" <fsmith01@...>