Using Nu-Arc 26-1ks

  • Elizabeth Gross
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2008
      Has anyone used a Nu-Arc 26-1ks for polymer plates? It is the newer metal halide machine.
      Results? Vague timing?
      Thanks,
      Liz
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2008
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Gross"
        <eahalegross@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone used a Nu-Arc 26-1ks for polymer plates? It is the newer
        metal halide machine. Results? Vague timing?

        Liz, I used the Nu-arc 26-1K for years. It is not ideal, but it works.
        Exposures are longer than with a bank of UV tubes; as I recall it, for
        a solid or reverse I used 125 light units, 250 for a medium image, and
        for finely detailed type 400 to as much as 800 light units. That's
        something like 40 minutes. And exposure times increase as the lamp
        ages. For non-critical images I also made a tube of index stock and
        placed it over the glass to concentrate more light--which also
        broadened the slope of the beard.
        Consider also the glass contact frame--you can't massage out any
        air bubbles as you can with a flexible cover sheet. Matte-emulsion
        film (or a matte plate like Rigilon HX) will improve drawdown. But
        most important is trimming all four edges of the plate so there is no
        lip. (The lip forms on the outside of a cut, and interferes with
        drawdown.)
        When the drawdown is complete, and you can see the Newton's rings
        between neg and glass, every single speck of dust or hair becomes
        visible. Make sure none are in the image area!
        --Eric Holub, SF
        ps-the unit has a vacuum relief valve. Leave it open until the blanket
        is drawn up to the glass, then slowly close the relief valve until you
        get full vacuum.