Moderator comments (Re: Inkjet/Letterpress Paper)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
      Peter

      I don't disagree. But, as a moderator fielding complaints I do have to
      respond to them. And, if it simply continues unabated, do something
      about it. Not exactly what I would prefer to be doing, but, the list
      is my responsibility, for better or worse.

      I don't always read the posts, but when I am alerted by a disgruntled
      member, I, alas, have to do something. At least, that is what I think
      is my obligation to the membership.

      Peace and good will, as they say.

      Gerald

      > Hi Gerald
      >
      > I appreciate your concern. On the other hand, part of what keeps
      people from leaving a list is the fact that they feel that they are
      part of a conversation and a community.

      > While wildly off-topic political discussions, (and others which I
      leave to the imagination) are clearly grounds for moderator
      intervention, I don't think that a discussion of this nature is
      harmful to the list.

      > I have pointed out gently a couple of times that the discussion is
      shading off the primary topic, but these discussions, clearly around
      issues of printing and technological change have actually brought a
      number of participants out of the woodwork to comment, rather than the
      same old handful.

      > A healthy community should encourage, rather than stifle, a liberal
      sense of "on-topic", and the current subject matter, in my view, has
      been well within that purview.

      > However, Samuel Pepys is certainly not the topic of the list, nor is
      blogging. If one needs to know more about Pepys, one can Google ;-)
      (Or send private email) Whether this issue descends to the level of
      tedium or chagrin, versus a less dour choice of words, I won't speculate.

      > Just my two cents, and my thanks to the PPLetterpress community for
      the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for letterpress and the
      development of new technologies surrounding it.