Re: [PPLetterpress] Moderator comments/Threads

  • Dan Franklin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi, Gerald and Peter and everyone.

      It would help immensely, I think, if subscribers would keep comments
      in line with the subject line of their message, and vice versa. This
      thread, 'Inkjet/Letterpress Paper,' has snapped at least twice, and
      those who do the veering should alter the subject line to reflect the
      divergence.

      Those uninterested in 'Blogging' (or the trend in the 'Blogging'
      thread) may bypass the thread altogether, rather than open a message
      thinking it may still have something to do with printing injet and
      letterpress on the same sheet.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
        Peter

        I don't disagree. But, as a moderator fielding complaints I do have to
        respond to them. And, if it simply continues unabated, do something
        about it. Not exactly what I would prefer to be doing, but, the list
        is my responsibility, for better or worse.

        I don't always read the posts, but when I am alerted by a disgruntled
        member, I, alas, have to do something. At least, that is what I think
        is my obligation to the membership.

        Peace and good will, as they say.

        Gerald

        > Hi Gerald
        >
        > I appreciate your concern. On the other hand, part of what keeps
        people from leaving a list is the fact that they feel that they are
        part of a conversation and a community.

        > While wildly off-topic political discussions, (and others which I
        leave to the imagination) are clearly grounds for moderator
        intervention, I don't think that a discussion of this nature is
        harmful to the list.

        > I have pointed out gently a couple of times that the discussion is
        shading off the primary topic, but these discussions, clearly around
        issues of printing and technological change have actually brought a
        number of participants out of the woodwork to comment, rather than the
        same old handful.

        > A healthy community should encourage, rather than stifle, a liberal
        sense of "on-topic", and the current subject matter, in my view, has
        been well within that purview.

        > However, Samuel Pepys is certainly not the topic of the list, nor is
        blogging. If one needs to know more about Pepys, one can Google ;-)
        (Or send private email) Whether this issue descends to the level of
        tedium or chagrin, versus a less dour choice of words, I won't speculate.

        > Just my two cents, and my thanks to the PPLetterpress community for
        the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for letterpress and the
        development of new technologies surrounding it.