[PPLetterpress] Moderator comments (Re: Inkjet/Letterpress Paper)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi Gerald

      I appreciate your concern. On the other hand, part of what keeps people from leaving a list is the fact that they feel that they are part of a conversation and a community.

      While wildly off-topic political discussions, (and others which I leave to the imagination) are clearly grounds for moderator intervention, I don't think that a discussion of this nature is harmful to the list.

      I have pointed out gently a couple of times that the discussion is shading off the primary topic, but these discussions, clearly around issues of printing and technological change have actually brought a number of participants out of the woodwork to comment, rather than the same old handful.

      A healthy community should encourage, rather than stifle, a liberal sense of "on-topic", and the current subject matter, in my view, has been well within that purview.

      However, Samuel Pepys is certainly not the topic of the list, nor is blogging. If one needs to know more about Pepys, one can Google ;-) (Or send private email) Whether this issue descends to the level of tedium or chagrin, versus a less dour choice of words, I won't speculate.

      Just my two cents, and my thanks to the PPLetterpress community for the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for letterpress and the development of new technologies surrounding it.

      Cheers
      Peter

      >Lisa et al
      >
      >This is Gerald, one of the PPL moderators, and I have to tediously
      >interfere here, much to my chagrin. I am the one who has to field
      >member complaints and watch the membership drop out as they begin to
      >think the list is other than what they thought they had subscribed to.
      >
      >Please do not respond publically to a post when you can just as easily
      >respond privately, especially if it is an off topic subject and, even
      >more to the point, if you just feel like chatting. Wrong list for that
      >kind of thing. Find another.
      >
      >Gerald
      >PPL

      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
      http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
    • Dan Franklin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi, Gerald and Peter and everyone.

        It would help immensely, I think, if subscribers would keep comments
        in line with the subject line of their message, and vice versa. This
        thread, 'Inkjet/Letterpress Paper,' has snapped at least twice, and
        those who do the veering should alter the subject line to reflect the
        divergence.

        Those uninterested in 'Blogging' (or the trend in the 'Blogging'
        thread) may bypass the thread altogether, rather than open a message
        thinking it may still have something to do with printing injet and
        letterpress on the same sheet.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
          Peter

          I don't disagree. But, as a moderator fielding complaints I do have to
          respond to them. And, if it simply continues unabated, do something
          about it. Not exactly what I would prefer to be doing, but, the list
          is my responsibility, for better or worse.

          I don't always read the posts, but when I am alerted by a disgruntled
          member, I, alas, have to do something. At least, that is what I think
          is my obligation to the membership.

          Peace and good will, as they say.

          Gerald