Re: Inkjet/Letterpress Paper

    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 29, 2008
      Lisa et al

      This is Gerald, one of the PPL moderators, and I have to tediously
      interfere here, much to my chagrin. I am the one who has to field
      member complaints and watch the membership drop out as they begin to
      think the list is other than what they thought they had subscribed to.

      Please do not respond publically to a post when you can just as easily
      respond privately, especially if it is an off topic subject and, even
      more to the point, if you just feel like chatting. Wrong list for that
      kind of thing. Find another.

      Gerald
      PPL

      In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Davidson <lisaxdavidson@...>
      wrote:

      > > Dave,
      > I don't get the Pepys reference. Is he not a wonderful source, or do
      > you mean he's just not contemporary?
      > Sorry,
      > Lisa
      > >

      > > > The thing to remember is that blogging has been going on for
      > > centuries
      > > > but only those important enough to be re-read have been printed.
      > > I am
      > > > referring, of course, to diarists, a wonderful source of
      > > contemporary
      > > > material for historians, Samuel Pepys aside <grin>.
      > > > Dave

    • Dave Allen
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Lisa,
        I don't happen to agree. I think he was a blow hard who happened to have
        influential friends that got his work preserved. His writings remind me
        very much of the mindless blogs that clutter the internet today.
        Usually they are written by people who, for some unknown reason, think
        their opinion is more valuable than anyone else's. He was the Britney
        Spears of his generation. Our opinion of his era has been shaped by his
        scatological ramblings and I, for one, think more of the general
        populace than that. Perhaps I am a romantic.
        Dave

        Lisa Davidson wrote:

        >> Dave,
        >>
        > I don't get the Pepys reference. Is he not a wonderful source, or do
        > you mean he's just not contemporary?
        > Sorry,
        > Lisa
        >

        >>> The thing to remember is that blogging has been going on for
        >>>
        >> centuries
        >>
        >>> but only those important enough to be re-read have been printed.
        >>>
        >> I am
        >>
        >>> referring, of course, to diarists, a wonderful source of
        >>>
        >> contemporary
        >>
        >>> material for historians, Samuel Pepys aside <grin>.
        >>> Dave

        840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
        (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca