Re: [PPLetterpress] Future of Print (was Re: Inkjet/Letterpress Paper)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
      >Because of the electronic media and digital use for such things as photography, I believe there will be a huge black hole for our current time period in the future because all this stuff will disappear. Were Adam Smith writing his thoughts today on the Adam Smith Blog, it would evaporate into thin air when he didn't maintain his account, or some server somewhere crashed. All my digital photos I'm taking today will be where in 50 years? Yet I have all my pictures I started taking more then 50 years ago on film, not to mention tons of photographs taken world-wide previous to that. Printed words, books, photos, records, etc will endure but the electronic stuff is like dust in the wind.
      >
      >Fritz

      Hi Fritz
      I agree 100%
      The "end of history" may well be when everything is online ;-)
      Then, on the other hand, since 99.999% of what's being written or photographed these days is better of forgotten, perhaps we've arrived at exactly where we need to be!

      And the telcoguvmnt can decide who and what can be posted... for national security reasons {of letterpress and photopolymer of course...}

      On the other hand, there are fewer and fewer books in physical form surviving from the 19th and 20th C because of the make-a-buck printing and binding practices. Some of those may only be preserved in ... digital form!

      I expect that unless there's a global viral pandemic or something even stupider, that Google will still have all your photos in 50 years, since they will have figured out how to store information in hyperdimensional crystals, and everything up to that point in time will only take 1 ten-millionth of a percent of the capacity of a crystal the size of a 18pt quad.

      Only half of my tongue is cheekwise ;-)

      Cheers

      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
      http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
    • Michael Andrews
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
        This topic is one that relates to the concerns of many
        librarians and conservators I have spoken with since
        the age of digital storage.

        At first it seemed the digital media would be the
        solution to preserving color film. The best color film
        I know in regards to archival longevity was
        Kodachrome. With perfect storage it might last 150
        years.
        A fugitive color print (dye couplers, dye transfer,
        cibachrome) might make it as far as 300 years in the
        best case and in the worst case such as polaroids may
        make only last 25 years without some degradation.

        Prints on paper using a pigment ink (such as a carbro
        or digital print) might be expected to last as long as
        a painting, say 500 years.

        The librarians were miffed by the fact that most
        digital media lasted somewhere around 15 years and
        then need a never-ending cycle of reproduction to
        guarantee future existence.

        The lesson for photographers is that only what hits
        archival paper has any chance of surviving at least as
        long as the species does.

        If the world runs out of cheap electricity via the
        ever decreasing supply of petroleum, electronic media
        will no longer be readily accessible.

        That does not even take into consideration the
        perpetually evolving nature of the media itself. The
        hope is that some form of permanent electronic media
        will emerge. The fear is the expense of converting
        existing data to it. The ultimate fear is how much
        will be lost when such conversions take place and the
        old media becomes practically extinct.

        The lesson for those who are committed to the value of
        the written word (at least as long as the species
        survives) need to put archival ink on archival paper.
        No doubt there is some minuscule chunk of words that
        will be engraved in metal or stone, but for us
        populists, nothing so far has eclipsed the function of
        words on paper.

        midnight musings of an ink and paper dinosaur

        michael

        Be a better friend, newshound, and