Re: [PPLetterpress] Emerson Type

  • John Risseeuw
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2002
      It seems to me that Harold Berliner was casting Emerson in the 80s and we
      bought our Emerson from him. I've heard that he's casting again,
      occasionally, one face at a time. So you could contact Harold and ask if
      Emerson might be coming up.
      He's at 530-273-2278 and http://www.berlinerpress.com/index.html.

      John L. Risseeuw, Professor
      Director, Pyracantha Press
      School of Art
      Box 871505
      Arizona State University
      Tempe, Arizona 85287-1505
      480-965-3713 office; 480-965-8338 fax
    • Michael Peich
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2002
        on 10/3/02 5:59 PM, Imke Lewis at imke@... wrote:

        > Dear list,
        > once again I am relying on your help and expertise..
        >
        > Does anyone know where to find Emerson type?
        > And secondly does anyone know the website or email for the American Type
        > Foundery?
        >
        > Thirdly any idea how to reach all the printers out there that don't use the
        > internet much?
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Imke Lewis
        > The Petrarch Press

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > ? Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > ? To unsubscribe:

        Hi Imke,

        I don't know who still casts Emerson, but I have a fair amount of it
        at the studio and have used it to print a few chapbooks. Once upon a time
        Pat Taylor (Out of Sorts Letter Foundry) had the mats and was casting it,
        but I don't know what has become of Pat or the mats. One person you might
        contact is Jerry Kelly (K11-08-18@...) who was a close friend of Joe
        Blumenthal's (the designer of the type), and who might have a lead for you.
        My Emerson is pretty worn because Pat Taylor did not cast real good metal,
        so I'd be interested in finding some more. Let us all know what you
        discover, and good hunting.

        Regards, Mike Peich
      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2002
          Emerson is an English Monotype face and was not cut or cast by ATF. We do
          have the cast type that was left on the shelves at ATF at their demise in
          1993, plus additional fonts acquired from some of their former dealers, and
          some new ATF type being cast by Theo Rehak using all original ATF matrices
          and casting machines. I checked M&H's type catalog, and they do not list
          Emerson. Harold Berliner may have the mats, as well as some others, but it
          may be difficult to track down.

          Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
          1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
          Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA