Call for Papers: Saving the History of Printing, NYC 10/10/08-10/12/08

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2008
      [Please excuse cross-posting. I am forwarding this notice for someone not on the
      list. Please note that the conference is scheduled for the weekend after Oak
      Knoll Fest and that the CFP deadline is APRIL 1 (no joke!). Columbia owns the ATF
      Library built by Henry Lewis Bullen (acquired by CU in 1937 I believe); they also
      have a good chunk of the Hoe Papers. Exciting topic--we hope to see many of you! -paul]

      Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:11:59 -0500
      From: Gerald W Cloud <gc2339@...>
      Subject: CFP: APHA 2008 Conference: New York City

      Please excuse duplicate postings....

      Saving the History of Printing

      The American Printing History Association (APHA) welcomes proposals
      for its 33rd annual conference, Saving the History of Printing.
      The conference will be held in New York City on October 10-12,
      2008, with a keynote address by James Mosley at the Grolier Club
      on Friday October 10 and the main proceedings on Saturday, October
      11 at Columbia University. Full conference details will be available
      at the APHA website, www.printinghistory.org

      The conference theme is the preservation of the stuff of printing
      history, broadly conceived -- the material (presses, type, plates,
      blocks, bookbinding equipment), the documentation (manuals, type
      specimens, archives), and the practices (the skills and knowledge
      necessary to operate the equipment, or to make the paper, ink,
      punches, etc.) -- from the earliest days of printing up to the
      present. We welcome participation by printers, papermakers and
      other practitioners of the allied crafts, librarians, curators,
      academics, independent scholars, and collectors.

      We particularly encourage papers that address:
      -- why and to what purpose a museum collects printing equipment
      -- how an institution encourages visitors to engage with printing history
      -- how no-longer-commercial skills are perpetuated

      Papers:
      Papers will be 20 minutes in length.

      Panels:
      Proposals are welcome for panels of three to four speakers and a=20
      moderator (circa one to one-and-a-half hours).

      Guidelines:
      Proposals should include a title, an abstract, contact information,
      a short biographical statement, and should list specific equipment
      needs such as slide and digital projectors. Proposals should not
      exceed one page. All presenters must have current APHA memberships
      at the time of registration.

      Deadlines:
      Proposals are due April 1, 2008. Program announcements are expected June 1, 2008.

      Submission:
      Electronic (preferred) or hard copy submissions will be accepted.
      Email proposals (Word document file, PDF or text) to
      apha2008conference[AT]gmail.com
      Mail proposals to co-chairs: Gerald Cloud & Jane Siegel, Rare Book
      and Manuscript Library, Columbia University, Butler Library,
      Sixth Floor, 535 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10027, or fax
      to 212-854-1365.

      Apart from its conference, APHA supports research and scholarship
      through its journal Printing History, publications, an oral history
      project, and a fellowship program. The association, founded in 1974,
      encourages the preservation of printing artifacts and source materials
      for printing history. Additional information, including a membership
      form, may be found online at www.printinghistory.org

      --
      Gerald W. Cloud

      Librarian for Reference and Research