Re: [PPLetterpress] Emerson Type

  • flywheel@premier1.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
      Dear Imke

      American Type Founders no longer exists. They were auctioned off back in
      1993. Many of the mats they carried were bought by the junkmen for
      scrap...many mats and incredible historical artifacts lost forever.

      Emerson type will be hard to find. Originally cast by Bauer in the 30s, it
      was then made available by the English Monotype a few years later. I've
      never seen the mats for casting it come up for sale. And I only know of one
      press who uses it...Larkspur Press in, I think, Tennessee (or maybe
      Kentucky). I don't know if they have a website. I wish I could find the
      mats. I'd love to be able to cast it.

      One thought is, that you might get in touch with Rich Hopkins of the
      American Typecasting Fellowship (the other ATF). He might know of someone
      who has the mats. And then it's just a matter of talking them into casting
      you up a bunch.

      Hope that's helpful.
      Chris Stern
      Grey Spider Press
      AKA Stern & Faye Printers
      37607 Cape Horn Road
      Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
      360.826.5306

      -
    • John Risseeuw
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2002
        It seems to me that Harold Berliner was casting Emerson in the 80s and we
        bought our Emerson from him. I've heard that he's casting again,
        occasionally, one face at a time. So you could contact Harold and ask if
        Emerson might be coming up.
        He's at 530-273-2278 and http://www.berlinerpress.com/index.html.

        John L. Risseeuw, Professor
        Director, Pyracantha Press
        School of Art
        Box 871505
        Arizona State University
        Tempe, Arizona 85287-1505
        480-965-3713 office; 480-965-8338 fax
      • Michael Peich
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2002
          on 10/3/02 5:59 PM, Imke Lewis at imke@... wrote:

          > Dear list,
          > once again I am relying on your help and expertise..
          >
          > Does anyone know where to find Emerson type?
          > And secondly does anyone know the website or email for the American Type
          > Foundery?
          >
          > Thirdly any idea how to reach all the printers out there that don't use the
          > internet much?
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Imke Lewis
          > The Petrarch Press

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > ? Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > ? To unsubscribe:

          Hi Imke,

          I don't know who still casts Emerson, but I have a fair amount of it
          at the studio and have used it to print a few chapbooks. Once upon a time
          Pat Taylor (Out of Sorts Letter Foundry) had the mats and was casting it,
          but I don't know what has become of Pat or the mats. One person you might
          contact is Jerry Kelly (K11-08-18@...) who was a close friend of Joe
          Blumenthal's (the designer of the type), and who might have a lead for you.
          My Emerson is pretty worn because Pat Taylor did not cast real good metal,
          so I'd be interested in finding some more. Let us all know what you
          discover, and good hunting.

          Regards, Mike Peich
        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2002
            Emerson is an English Monotype face and was not cut or cast by ATF. We do
            have the cast type that was left on the shelves at ATF at their demise in
            1993, plus additional fonts acquired from some of their former dealers, and
            some new ATF type being cast by Theo Rehak using all original ATF matrices
            and casting machines. I checked M&H's type catalog, and they do not list
            Emerson. Harold Berliner may have the mats, as well as some others, but it
            may be difficult to track down.

            Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
            1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
            Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA