Re: Inkjet/Letterpress Paper

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 26, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Barbara
      >
      >>it's an allegorical poem, largely fictional, on the
      > >development of the written language, beginning with cave drawings and
      > >culminating with movable type.
      >
      > Sounds perfectly wonderful ;-)
      > Why does it end with moveable type, though? Aren't bitmaps still
      > performing the same function?
      > (all digital type is eventually a bitmap, whether high or low
      resolution)

      That's exactly why I ended with movable type. Conceptually we haven't
      gone beyond that. I think where we're headed is full-circle: back to
      speech, with the strides that are being made in software that reads
      text aloud to us.

      >>The challenge I have made for myself is this: the illustration for
      each letter must be in a
      > >typeface whose name begins with the letter, AND the typefaces must be
      > >in chronological order according to when they were designed.
      >
      > I think you may have just defined an empty set (ie two
      non-overlapping sets) ;-)
      > It's extremely unlikely that you can satisfy both of these
      conditions, as well as basic design constraints.
      > Allowing that there are now perhaps as many fonts as atoms in the
      galaxy, there will nonetheless be 99.9999% which are perfectly
      useless, even if they by chance are sequential and in alpha sort order.

      Exactly right! That's why I completed the first draft in 1999 and it's
      still not finished. But I'm hopeful. There's Arrighi for A. That's as
      far as I've gotten. :-)

      If I must eventually sacrifice one criterion for the other, I'll choose
      to use the alphabetical one, since the parents can say to their
      children, "This kind of letter is called "Arrighi," and the children
      can better remember it. There will be an appendix for the parents that
      gives a brief description of each typeface, including the date of its
      design.

      Barbara

    • Dave Allen
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Lisa,
        I don't happen to agree. I think he was a blow hard who happened to have
        influential friends that got his work preserved. His writings remind me
        very much of the mindless blogs that clutter the internet today.
        Usually they are written by people who, for some unknown reason, think
        their opinion is more valuable than anyone else's. He was the Britney
        Spears of his generation. Our opinion of his era has been shaped by his
        scatological ramblings and I, for one, think more of the general
        populace than that. Perhaps I am a romantic.
        Dave

        Lisa Davidson wrote:

        >> Dave,
        >>
        > I don't get the Pepys reference. Is he not a wonderful source, or do
        > you mean he's just not contemporary?
        > Sorry,
        > Lisa
        >

        >>> The thing to remember is that blogging has been going on for
        >>>
        >> centuries
        >>
        >>> but only those important enough to be re-read have been printed.
        >>>
        >> I am
        >>
        >>> referring, of course, to diarists, a wonderful source of
        >>>
        >> contemporary
        >>
        >>> material for historians, Samuel Pepys aside <grin>.
        >>> Dave

        840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
        (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca