Emerson Type

  • Imke Lewis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
      Dear list,
      once again I am relying on your help and expertise..

      Does anyone know where to find Emerson type?
      And secondly does anyone know the website or email for the American Type
      Foundery?

      Thirdly any idea how to reach all the printers out there that don't use the
      internet much?

      Thanks again,
      Imke Lewis
      The Petrarch Press

    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
        I'm not sure I can answer your questions satisfactorily, but I will try, at
        least in part. I don't know of Emerson Type, but I believe that the residual
        fonts from ATF are now being sold by NA Graphics in Colorado.
        (nagraph@...)

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com

      • flywheel@premier1.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
          Dear Imke

          American Type Founders no longer exists. They were auctioned off back in
          1993. Many of the mats they carried were bought by the junkmen for
          scrap...many mats and incredible historical artifacts lost forever.

          Emerson type will be hard to find. Originally cast by Bauer in the 30s, it
          was then made available by the English Monotype a few years later. I've
          never seen the mats for casting it come up for sale. And I only know of one
          press who uses it...Larkspur Press in, I think, Tennessee (or maybe
          Kentucky). I don't know if they have a website. I wish I could find the
          mats. I'd love to be able to cast it.

          One thought is, that you might get in touch with Rich Hopkins of the
          American Typecasting Fellowship (the other ATF). He might know of someone
          who has the mats. And then it's just a matter of talking them into casting
          you up a bunch.

          Hope that's helpful.
          Chris Stern
          Grey Spider Press
          AKA Stern & Faye Printers
          37607 Cape Horn Road
          Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
          360.826.5306

          -
        • John Risseeuw
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2002
            It seems to me that Harold Berliner was casting Emerson in the 80s and we
            bought our Emerson from him. I've heard that he's casting again,
            occasionally, one face at a time. So you could contact Harold and ask if
            Emerson might be coming up.
            He's at 530-273-2278 and http://www.berlinerpress.com/index.html.

            John L. Risseeuw, Professor
            Director, Pyracantha Press
            School of Art
            Box 871505
            Arizona State University
            Tempe, Arizona 85287-1505
            480-965-3713 office; 480-965-8338 fax
          • Michael Peich
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2002
              on 10/3/02 5:59 PM, Imke Lewis at imke@... wrote:

              > Dear list,
              > once again I am relying on your help and expertise..
              >
              > Does anyone know where to find Emerson type?
              > And secondly does anyone know the website or email for the American Type
              > Foundery?
              >
              > Thirdly any idea how to reach all the printers out there that don't use the
              > internet much?
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Imke Lewis
              > The Petrarch Press

              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > ? Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > ? To unsubscribe:

              Hi Imke,

              I don't know who still casts Emerson, but I have a fair amount of it
              at the studio and have used it to print a few chapbooks. Once upon a time
              Pat Taylor (Out of Sorts Letter Foundry) had the mats and was casting it,
              but I don't know what has become of Pat or the mats. One person you might
              contact is Jerry Kelly (K11-08-18@...) who was a close friend of Joe
              Blumenthal's (the designer of the type), and who might have a lead for you.
              My Emerson is pretty worn because Pat Taylor did not cast real good metal,
              so I'd be interested in finding some more. Let us all know what you
              discover, and good hunting.

              Regards, Mike Peich
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2002
                Emerson is an English Monotype face and was not cut or cast by ATF. We do
                have the cast type that was left on the shelves at ATF at their demise in
                1993, plus additional fonts acquired from some of their former dealers, and
                some new ATF type being cast by Theo Rehak using all original ATF matrices
                and casting machines. I checked M&H's type catalog, and they do not list
                Emerson. Harold Berliner may have the mats, as well as some others, but it
                may be difficult to track down.

                Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA