new digital Sabon and photopolymer printed specimen

  • Brian Allen
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 23, 2002
      You can see photos of a specimen of a new version of Sabon being printed
      from photopolymer plates at this site:
      http://www.porcheztypo.com/atypi/cpbook.html
      The type design work has been done by Jean-François Porchez, a well known
      French designer, for Linotype. (The site's text is also in French). This new
      version was announced at the ATypI typography conference just concluded in
      Rome.
      Brian Allen
      Mountain View, California
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 24, 2002
        I'm printing a plate using only clear overprint varnish on a dark, brick red
        cover stock, and am finding that the usual deep impression that the clients
        so love is causing the varnish to apparently bleed through to the back of
        the paper. This is on my C&P Craftsman, by the way I have not had this
        happen before with varnish, but have not used this paper before, either. I
        tried letting the paper dry, and this seems to help, but the ghost never
        quite goes away.

        Has anyone ever had this happen and do you know if it can be remedied?

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      • typetom@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 24, 2002
          HI Katie,
          You don't say what kind of paper it is, so it's hard to evaluate what's
          happening. Seems to me it would have to be a very porous paper for the
          varnish to go through the sheet. (Or way too much pressure and maybe too much
          varnish). Are you sure you are not just getting an off-print from the sheet
          below it in the pile?

          Only other solution that comes to mind would be to use less varnish. Probably
          less would be just about as effective for coating the image area since you
          are not trying to cover the paper color like ink, only putting a sheen on it.

          Tom Parson
          Now It's Up To You Publications
          157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          (303) 777-8951
          http://members.aol.com/typetom
        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 24, 2002
            Well, I have discovered that it was not the varnish after all, but rather it
            was coming from the tympan paper, which is rather old, I suspect (it came
            with my equipment so is of unknown age and quality). I was able to fix the
            problem by a draw sheet from under the tympan and putting it on top to
            absorb any leaking oil. I would have to change that after about 40
            impressions or so, however. I have not had this particular problem before,
            but it doesn't surprise me. If the tympan paper is old, perhaps the oil or
            wax in it starts to leech out or something. I should probably use mylar or
            acetate, but this is so much more economical...

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 14, 2002
              > You can see photos of a specimen of a new version of Sabon being printed
              > from photopolymer plates at this site:
              > http://www.porcheztypo.com/atypi/cpbook.html
              > The type design work has been done by Jean-François Porchez, a well known=

              > French designer, for Linotype. (The site's text is also in French). This =
              new
              > version was announced at the ATypI typography conference just concluded i=
              > Rome.
              > Brian Allen
              > Mountain View, California

              Brian

              Thanks for letting us know about this. The new Sabon looks great.

              What do you know about the new Optima? Do you have any information as
              to when will that be issued? Will this be a Linotype Library release
              or through another foundry?

              I've a project using the old Optima which I had to rework the hell
              out of to make it work well letterpress. And then. afterward, I saw a
              notice somewhere on the new issue!

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 14, 2002
                Brian

                Another quick question somewhat related to my very recent post. I
                received the Indie Fonts specimen catalog from P22 and in reading the
                info in the back about Use of Fonts I was surprised to see a note
                that reworking (altering) a font is illegal. I wasn't aware of this
                previously and have never seen it stated before.

                So, if, for letterpress printing, I rework a font like the Optima in
                FOG and redo sizing and scaling weights etc am I actually in violation
                of the law?

                Gerald
              • Fontdr@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 14, 2002
                  You are not in violation of any law if you don't sell your modifications
                  under the original name.

                  Bob Trogman
                  Facsimile Fonts
                • Brian Allen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 15, 2002
                    Gerald -
                    Yes, there is a reworked version of Optima in the works from Linotype. It
                    has been shown at 2 type conferences now, and I thought I'd see it at their
                    web site: www.fontexplorer.com now, but don't. I don't know when it will be
                    available for sale. There are new weights and styles, including a true
                    italic (not obliqued roman) and a titling font. Type people have mixed
                    reactions to it, but Hermann Zapf was sitting next to Akira Kobayashi at the
                    computer terminal directing the changes, so it is blessed by HZ. It is a
                    Linotype exclusive, highly unlikely to be offered through any other
                    distributor.

                    While at the Linotype site, check out the newly released fonts of Adrian
                    Frutiger - Icone, Iridium, and Breughal, only now converted to Type One
                    format, 20+ years since they were available in phototype/CRT forms. They are
                    part of the "Frutiger's Life" sets. These 3 were written about by Chuck
                    Bigelow in "Fine Print on Type".

                    Re: altering fonts. Not only can you not resell the font under its own name,
                    you may not resell it at all. Modifying the data is called a "derivative
                    work", which I'm sure is covered by the license agreement. The fine points
                    of copyright/trademark issues are complicated and I am loathe to make
                    blanket statements about things I don't fully understand. To strictly follow
                    the rules, I believe you need permission to alter a font. In practical
                    terms, I think you are OK if it's for personal use only; do not under any
                    circumstance give away or sell the altered data. But I know you wouldn't do
                    that anyway.
                    The AIGA has a pamphlet on font usage and copyright, and while it is still
                    too legalistic in tone for me, may help clarify matters. It was sent to
                    members last year, but maybe it's available at their web site - aiga.org.

                    Regards,
                    Brian Allen
                    Mountain View, CA
                    Agfa Monotype employee

                  • Fontdr@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 16, 2002
                      Question: Is the use of Fontographer illegal? Many modifications are possible
                      and are they illegal? The laws of governing modifying fonts are different in
                      the US than in Europe.
                      Congress a one time considered the alphabet in the public domain and only
                      the name could be protected. When it comes to software, then the legal
                      battles will never cease. Incidentially, Compugraphic at one time was one of
                      the biggest offenders of type theft by altering the name.
                      Bob Trogman
                      Facsimile Fonts
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 16, 2002
                        > Question: Is the use of Fontographer illegal? Many modifications are possible
                        > and are they illegal? The laws of governing modifying fonts are different in
                        > the US than in Europe.
                        > Congress a one time considered the alphabet in the public domain and only
                        > the name could be protected. When it comes to software, then the legal
                        > battles will never cease. Incidentially, Compugraphic at one time was one of
                        > the biggest offenders of type theft by altering the name.
                        > Bob Trogman
                        > Facsimile Fonts

                        I'm not sure how much Congress was involved with the alphabet and
                        copyright issues. But type design has been long considered an
                        industrial practice rather than a product and I believe not
                        copyrightable under US law because of this consideration and maybe as
                        well by the possible restrictions that might impinge upon the user in
                        consideration with the idea of freedom of speech. Well, it sounds
                        reasonable! Afterall, in the US, metal type is duty free as a result.

                        I think the issue is less one of copyright than breach of contract.
                        When you buy the software you are entering into a contract with the
                        manufacturer. I assume the wording regarding modification was
                        initially intended to prevent unlawful copying or distribution: a
                        slight altering of points and a change of name and off the thief
                        goes. Standing alone it seems a bit odd since typeface designs are
                        themselves derivative by nature.

                        The long history of type foundry theft, e.g. your mention of
                        Compugraphic, and there many other notorious incidents, ATF,
                        Hamilton, etc, does put a shadow on all of this. I've always gotten
                        the silent treatment from digital type designers when I mention that
                        when Adobe unlicensed its PS font format it gave birth to the growth
                        of the indy foundries, none of whom have ever paid a cent to Adobe
                        for the privilege of using the formatting. So, theoretically, I guess
                        I am amazed at the clamor over copying issues given the
                        uncontrollable nature of digital intercourse and, especially, since
                        the unlicensing of format encouraged this is the first place. The
                        gift horse is a gread ride but the flies are so annoying!!!

                        Never mentioned is the fact that user copying can easily be
                        preventable by doing exactly what they did in the pre-digital analog
                        days. Sell proprietary software and proprietary typefaces. That won't
                        stop the other foundries (those that can afford to operate in such an
                        environment) from stealing your stuff though...

                        Gerald
                      • Katie Harper
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 17, 2002
                          All this talk about copyright of fonts and how broad or narrow the
                          protections, brings up another aspect. What about type designers and what
                          happens to their copyrighted artwork?

                          A serious problem that also was not a factor in the analog days is the
                          ability of the digital font user to actually change the way the type looks.
                          I'm not talking here about the incremental changes to a font that make it
                          print better on letterpress, but what is far more common: the great unwashed
                          out there taking a well designed letterform and squeezing it, squashing it,
                          smashing it, stretching it, pulling its legs and arms off without mercy...
                          etc., all because the computer lets them do it and no one is telling them
                          that maybe it's not okay... As a teacher, I spend a lot of time trying to
                          instill in my students a respect for the type designer's product, but most
                          people are using computers without any such guidance.

                          This to me is a far greater crime. I think back to the days when Fred Goudy
                          would design a font that was distributed to printers around the land,
                          sleeping well at night because he could know with a reasonable certainty
                          that anyone who used his fonts would produce the letterforms that he
                          designed. A digital type designer sends his or her children off to a very
                          cruel world. Do they just grit their teeth and wave good-by to the kids? It
                          would be interesting to know if there is any legal protection for the
                          designs and their integrity.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 17, 2002
                            Katie

                            Good questions all!
                            I've been in the digital type biz since 1987, when I released Prospera and started my "Alphabets, Inc." (www.alphabets.com)

                            Prospera was the result (partially) of work I'd done under a NEA Design Project Grant, which included some study with Hermann Zapf at RIT, and research in Europe, as well as plenty of toner run through the LaserWriter ;-)

                            In a word : yes.
                            We must 'grit [our] teeth and wave good-by to the kids' as you put it.

                            There is simply no way to sell a digital type product that can't be treated like a Doberman's favorite sock toy. Moreover, it's not only the unwashed that partake in this ;-)

                            Nonetheless, I personally believe that the fine people who actually PURCHASE fonts (as opposed to the art and design students who generally "inherit" huge libraries from their educational institutions) DO respect the designers.

                            Also, modern type design should, clearly, take into account the, 'plastic' nature of the instant repro technology, and be, at minimum, forgiving, or better, designed for adaptation of this nature... Of course, such efforts are easily defeated, in any case...

                            At 9:02 AM -0400 2002-10-17, Katie Harper wrote:
                            >All this talk about copyright of fonts and how broad or narrow the
                            >protections, brings up another aspect. What about type designers and what
                            >happens to their copyrighted artwork?
                            >
                            >A serious problem that also was not a factor in the analog days is the
                            >ability of the digital font user to actually change the way the type looks.
                            >I'm not talking here about the incremental changes to a font that make it
                            >print better on letterpress, but what is far more common: the great unwashed
                            >out there taking a well designed letterform and squeezing it, squashing it,
                            >smashing it, stretching it, pulling its legs and arms off without mercy...
                            >etc., all because the computer lets them do it and no one is telling them
                            >that maybe it's not okay... As a teacher, I spend a lot of time trying to
                            >instill in my students a respect for the type designer's product, but most
                            >people are using computers without any such guidance.

                            A crime, indeed, yet, in the overall perspective of real life, a petty misdemeanor.
                            Would we rather have graphical computers only available to the professional, registered typographic communicator???

                            No. The display of bad typography is a great boon to the exchange of ideas.
                            Also, it makes our meticulous work look even better than it deserves l;-)

                            While the majority will continue to use dtp software with results that make us queasy, there are those that have begun on the path to enlightenment, sometimes through the gentle prodding of teachers like yourself, other times, simply by coming to the realization that there's something that designers do that seems to make a positive difference in how well that message is received.

                            >This to me is a far greater crime. I think back to the days when Fred Goudy
                            >would design a font that was distributed to printers around the land,
                            >sleeping well at night because he could know with a reasonable certainty
                            >that anyone who used his fonts would produce the letterforms that he

                            Fred Goudy lost plenty of sleep, precisely because many of those printers were using his letterforms from foundries that blatantly stole and reproduced them!

                            >designed. A digital type designer sends his or her children off to a very
                            >cruel world. Do they just grit their teeth and wave good-by to the kids? It
                            >would be interesting to know if there is any legal protection for the
                            >designs and their integrity.

                            Not in the US, other than design patents, which are harder to enforce, due to need to prove 'uniqueness'. Design patents are given for furniture lines, table ware, etc...

                            In Europe there are far stronger protections on the actual shapes of the letters. Here, the only thing that CAN be copyrighted is the SOFTWARE that produces the outlines! (and thus the data points and any derivatives thereof.)

                            >Katie Harper
                            >Ars Brevis Press
                            >Cincinnati, OH
                            >513-233-9588
                            http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                            Nonetheless, as I mentioned, those that BUY fonts are not usually the ones that worry them.
                            Also, some of the high end boutique 'foundries' charge enormous prices and include extra goodies (letterpress booklets among them if I recall) to provide their users with an 'incentive', if you will, to, first, not give the font away to all their friends, and second, to use it with knowledge and respect...

                            In any case, I've come a long way from my early typographic conservatism (I'm still a social liberal ;-) and I now feel that freedom to communicate is far more important than fussy, possibly elitist notions about OTHER people's use of type. This (I hope) clearly doesn't mean that >>I<< would abuse a beautiful design for shock value ;-)

                            Cheers!

                            Peter

                            --
                            -
                            AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

                            Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
                            www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

                            Save Our Congress from Moralistic Right-Wing Rubberstamp-ism.
                            Vote Democratic, but hold their feet to the progressive fire...

                            Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
                            End Terrorism? End Poverty!
                          • caldrich45
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                              As long as the font is for your own use and you don't sell or give the altered
                              font away, you can do what you want with it. I believe that is "fair use." You
                              can tear pages out of a book and highlight and cross out passages if you so
                              desire. you can paint over someone else's canvas if you have purchased a
                              painting. To me, this is no different. I belieive that legally, fonts are not
                              copyrighted, only the name. Once you alter it, you should rename it, it then
                              becomes a different font.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                                Hi

                                Yes, I think there is a legal simularity between the physical object
                                that one is in possession of versus the intellectual effort of the
                                creator...

                                But when you rename a font as far as I know the code name, the FOND
                                identification, is not altered. Could be wrong about that but I thought
                                both FOG and FL don't alter this. Maybe I'm confused about this?

                                Gerald

                                caldrich45 wrote:

                                >As long as the font is for your own use and you don't sell or give the altered
                                >font away, you can do what you want with it. I believe that is "fair use." You
                                >can tear pages out of a book and highlight and cross out passages if you so
                                >desire. you can paint over someone else's canvas if you have purchased a
                                >painting. To me, this is no different. I belieive that legally, fonts are not
                                >copyrighted, only the name. Once you alter it, you should rename it, it then
                                >becomes a different font.

                              • Brian Allen
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
                                  RE: regenerating font files in Fontographer (version 4+ for the Mac) - one
                                  can change the FOND ID number when making Macintosh PostScript fonts.
                                  When you get to the "Generate Font Files" dialog and ask for a Macintosh
                                  font, you'll see on the right side of the dialog: "Bitmap font to output"
                                  "Format: NFNT, ID:xxxxx" (some number will be here)
                                  This is the FOND ID number to change (use one less than 15,000)
                                  When altering a font for personal use, one should both alter the name AND
                                  the FOND ID number, to be sure ATM, application, and printer driver aren't
                                  confused. And further, it's best to reboot your machine and printer to clear
                                  cached memory of font ID numbers before installing the new font.
                                  Brian Allen
                                  who works in font production for Agfa Monotype
                                  Mountain View, California
                                  -----------

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
                                    Brian Allen wrote:

                                    >RE: regenerating font files in Fontographer (version 4+ for the Mac) - one
                                    >can change the FOND ID number when making Macintosh PostScript fonts.
                                    >When you get to the "Generate Font Files" dialog and ask for a Macintosh
                                    >font, you'll see on the right side of the dialog: "Bitmap font to output"
                                    >"Format: NFNT, ID:xxxxx" (some number will be here)
                                    >This is the FOND ID number to change (use one less than 15,000)
                                    >When altering a font for personal use, one should both alter the name AND
                                    >the FOND ID number, to be sure ATM, application, and printer driver aren't
                                    >confused. And further, it's best to reboot your machine and printer to clear
                                    >cached memory of font ID numbers before installing the new font.
                                    >Brian Allen
                                    >who works in font production for Agfa Monotype
                                    >Mountain View, California

                                    Brian

                                    Thanks. I've never done this and thus far neither my laser printer or
                                    any imagesetter that has been used has been confused. (?) Am I just lucky?

                                    I've been trying to put together a cheat sheet on FL like I did for FOG.
                                    I see no real controls to recalc bitmaps or import metric info from the
                                    original font like one would do in FOG. I've talked to an FL tech and he
                                    says you don't have to, FL does it automatically. Well not from the
                                    looks of the fonts I've generated. Spacing attributes are not correct at
                                    all. Any tips and tricks? The manual is a complete nightmare, though I
                                    must say I do like the Transformation Range capabilities.

                                    Gerald

                                  • Brian Allen
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
                                      Gerald -
                                      I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font file in
                                      Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
                                      suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen that FOG
                                      database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that same FOND
                                      ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get fooled
                                      and not see a change you thought you made.
                                      Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device, the font
                                      ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
                                      number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID and will
                                      use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of complexity
                                      now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard to know
                                      what goes on!
                                      At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
                                      between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest. (And I'm
                                      using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's a reason
                                      for continual rebooting.)
                                      Brian Allen
                                      Mountain View, CA

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 3, 2002
                                        --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Brian Allen <allenprinter@y...> wrote:
                                        > Gerald -
                                        > I expect you've been a little lucky. When you open the printer font
                                        file in
                                        > Fontographer the first time and then generate a new Mac font + bitmap
                                        > suitcase, a new FOND number is randomly generated. If you reopen
                                        that FOG
                                        > database file to make further alterations, Fontographer keeps that
                                        same FOND
                                        > ID when generating the new font files. This is where you might get
                                        fooled
                                        > and not see a change you thought you made.
                                        > Generally speaking, when a font is downloaded to an output device,
                                        the font
                                        > ID is checked. If a laser printer, say, already has something with that
                                        > number, theoretically it won't download a new font with the same ID
                                        and will
                                        > use the font data it had already cached. But with the level of
                                        complexity
                                        > now between operating systems, ATM, printer drivers, etc., it's hard
                                        to know
                                        > what goes on!
                                        > At work when I'm testing changes to PostScript fonts I reboot everything
                                        > between new installations, to be confident I am seeing the latest.
                                        (And I'm
                                        > using a specific FOND ID throughout the production cycle, so that's
                                        a reason
                                        > for continual rebooting.)
                                        > Brian Allen

                                        A long, long time ago a tech at Altsys told me never to regenerate
                                        from one of their database files so I've always just tossed them.
                                        Guess that was good advice.

                                        I note that FontLab constructs a ghost font during the entire process,
                                        somehow linking this with ATM (for the previews), and then dumps it
                                        when the font is saved.. I've been tossing their database files as
                                        well. Though I suspect one should start saving the AFM files as we
                                        move ever closer to current and forthcoming technologies. (?).