Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs

  • Mark Attwood
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hi Gerald,

      I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
      about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
      Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
      I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.

      Let me know if you find out the correct name!

      regards,
      Mark.

      Mark Attwood

      The Artists' Press
      Box 623
      Newtown
      2113
      South Africa

      Tel. +27 11 836 5474
      fax. +27 11 836 6858
      mark@...

      ----------
      >From: Gerald Lange <bieler@...>
      >To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
      >Date: Fri, Sep 7, 2001, 6:21 am
      >

      > Hi Mark
      >
      > Well, you have me sitting on my hands with this one. Do you know what the
      > ingredients are? Who is the manufacturer, and what is the brand name?
      > Especially interested because you use it for hand-litho. Don't do hand-litho
      > myself, but find the ink formulations are much better for studio-letterpress
      > applications. Thanks!
      >
      > All best

      > Mark Attwood wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi Gerald,
      >>
      >> I don't know if anyone else has used this, but I use aerosol (I hope the
      >> spelling is correct) a lot, as a modifyer in the ink, both for
      >> hand-lithography and letterpress.
      >>
      >> It is a white powder, extremely light and fluffy, a bit like magnesium
      >> carbonate, but makes the ink more bodied than mag. It is apparently so fine
      >> that if you breathe it in it will end up in your blood! so what I do to
      >> avoid breathing it in, is ask the ink manufacturer to mix it with tinting
      >> medium until it is about the consistency of window putty, and then I use
      >> that to body any ink I print with, and it really seems to work well.
      >>
      >> Mark.
      >>
      >> Mark Attwood
      >>
      >> The Artists' Press
      >> Box 623
      >> Newtown
      >> 2113
      >> South Africa
      >>
      >> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
      >> fax. +27 11 836 6858
      >> mark@...

    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2001
        Dear Mark and Chris:

        I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
        like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
        at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
        "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
        ink that it is mixed with.

        I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
        wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
        sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
        that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
        another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
        offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
        from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
        anyone know what type of ink this is?

        Katie Harper

        Remember: Book arts will save the world!

        > From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
        > Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:37:31 +0000
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
        >
        > Hi Gerald,
        >
        > I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
        > about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
        > Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
        > I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.
        >
        > Let me know if you find out the correct name!
        >
        > regards,
        > Mark.
        >

        > Mark Attwood
        >
        > The Artists' Press
        > Box 623
        > Newtown
        > 2113
        > South Africa
        >
        > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        > fax. +27 11 836 6858
        > mark@...
        >

        > ----------
        >> From: Gerald Lange <bieler@...>
        >> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
        >> Date: Fri, Sep 7, 2001, 6:21 am
        >>

        >> Hi Mark
        >>
        >> Well, you have me sitting on my hands with this one. Do you know what the
        >> ingredients are? Who is the manufacturer, and what is the brand name?
        >> Especially interested because you use it for hand-litho. Don't do hand-litho
        >> myself, but find the ink formulations are much better for studio-letterpress
        >> applications. Thanks!
        >>
        >> All best

        >> Mark Attwood wrote:
        >>>
        >>> Hi Gerald,
        >>>
        >>> I don't know if anyone else has used this, but I use aerosol (I hope the
        >>> spelling is correct) a lot, as a modifyer in the ink, both for
        >>> hand-lithography and letterpress.
        >>>
        >>> It is a white powder, extremely light and fluffy, a bit like magnesium
        >>> carbonate, but makes the ink more bodied than mag. It is apparently so fine
        >>> that if you breathe it in it will end up in your blood! so what I do to
        >>> avoid breathing it in, is ask the ink manufacturer to mix it with tinting
        >>> medium until it is about the consistency of window putty, and then I use
        >>> that to body any ink I print with, and it really seems to work well.
        >>>
        >>> Mark.
        >>>
        >>> Mark Attwood
        >>>
        >>> The Artists' Press
        >>> Box 623
        >>> Newtown
        >>> 2113
        >>> South Africa
        >>>
        >>> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        >>> fax. +27 11 836 6858

      • flywheel@premier1.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 9, 2001
          Katie

          Yes, the LCC (Letterpress Conversion Compound) does change the color of the
          ink as well, but that's good. When you're trying to mix a PMS color, we
          almost always have to add opaque white to the mix in order to get the exact
          match we want. We never use the trans. white that the formulas call for
          because that only thins the ink to the point where the color isn't anywhere
          at all what we want. The LCC was designed to bring the mixed color back to
          where it should be for letterpress. If you follow the formula exactly as
          written in the PMS books, you will never get your color match. Those PMS
          colors as designed for offset printing which, obviously, puts ink down in a
          whole different way than letterpress. The LCC works similarly to straight
          opaque white only it's got ten times the body which makes for a wonderful
          letterpress printing ink.

          My guess about the PMS 279 BLue Wax Free ink would be that it's just regular
          old oil base ink without wax (an additive that was put into ink in order to
          reduce its tack and increase its flow). At least I think that's what it was
          for. I am in no way an expert on ink, but I know what works when I see it,
          and I've been looking for this LCC for years. I never had much luck with
          magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

          The reason I've been going on and on about this LCC is that I want to try
          and help develop a market for it so that it will be around when next I need
          to order it. The more people who buy it, the likelier its survival.

          Chris Stern
          Stern & Faye, Printers
          Sedro-Woolley, WA
          98284

          ----------

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
            Hi Katie,

            theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
            but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
            ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
            transparent colours.

            Mark.

            Mark Attwood

            The Artists' Press
            Box 623
            Newtown
            2113
            South Africa

            Tel. +27 11 836 5474
            fax. +27 11 836 6858
            mark@...

            ----------

          • Katie Harper
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
              Thanks to all who responded to my query about ink additives. When I was in
              graduate school as a printmaker, I once had a half day workshop on ink
              additives... I confess I wasn't as enthralled as I might have been, not
              thinking it probably would be useful one day...

              I also got another reply offline from Dan at Indian Hill press, and am
              posting it here for those of you who were curious, as I was, about "Wax-free
              inks."

              Dear Katie:

              Just got your bulletin on the Letterpress list.

              Wax-free inks are important to printers who to do hot foil-stamping
              on top of a printed surface. If the ink contains wax, the heat will
              melt it and the foil will not adhere. Wax-free ink generally dries
              very quickly, so don't leave it on your press overnight. It is also a
              specialty ink, and more expensive than general job inks.

              Best,
              Dan Waters
              Indian Hill Press

              Remember: Book arts will save the world!

              > From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
              > Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:29:29 +0000
              > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
              >
              > Hi Katie,
              >
              > theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
              > but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
              > ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
              > transparent colours.
              >
              > Mark.
              >

              > Mark Attwood
              >
              > The Artists' Press
              > Box 623
              > Newtown
              > 2113
              > South Africa
              >
              > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
              > fax. +27 11 836 6858
              > mark@...
              >

              > ----------
              >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
              >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
              >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
              >> Date: Sun, Sep 9, 2001, 1:07 pm
              >>

              >> Dear Mark and Chris:
              >>
              >> I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
              >> like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
              >> at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
              >> "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
              >> ink that it is mixed with.
              >>
              >> I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
              >> wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
              >> sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
              >> that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
              >> another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
              >> offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
              >> from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
              >> anyone know what type of ink this is?
              >>
              >> Katie Harper
              >>

              >> Remember: Book arts will save the world!
              >>

              >>> From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
              >>> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:37:31 +0000
              >>> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              >>> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
              >>>
              >>> Hi Gerald,
              >>>
              >>> I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
              >>> about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
              >>> Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
              >>> I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.
              >>>
              >>> Let me know if you find out the correct name!
              >>>
              >>> regards,
              >>> Mark.
              >>>

              >>> Mark Attwood
              >>>
              >>> The Artists' Press
              >>> Box 623
              >>> Newtown
              >>> 2113
              >>> South Africa
              >>>
              >>> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
              >>> fax. +27 11 836 6858
              >>> mark@...
              >>>

              >>> ----------

            • Terrence Chouinard
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
                > I never had much luck with
                > magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

                Chris
                I'm guessing the LCC doesn't dry out your ink as fast as magnesium carbonate
                does. Any sense if this is the case or not?

                Terry

                Terrence Chouinard
                the Wing & the Wheel Press
                Box 216