Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Trip mechanism on Vandercook 325A

  • Eileen Madden
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      Russ -

      This does, indeed represent my trip mechanism. If I understand you
      correctly, and from working with the press it makes some sense,
      tripping the press isn't really necessary since the paper precedes the
      rollers? One would have it in print mode to ink the type, and since
      the tympan is in front, there's no need for tripping to ink? I'm not
      sure if that's accurate. All I know is that chain has come is not at
      tight as it was when I first got it (nine months or so ago. . . .)

      We had a snow day here in Evanston, so I've not had a chance to get
      under it and look for the oil holes you mention. Your drawing was
      easier for me to follow than the schematics in the manual I have.

      I'm afraid I don't know what "chamfered" means?

      Thanks.

      Eileen

    • russwiecking
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        Eileen,

        I am only familiar with 325A thanks to the picture on Moxon's site.
        Comparing the pictures (http://vandercookpress.info/images/325AH.jpg
        and http://vandercookpress.info/images/315.jpg). Though I can't see
        how your rollers work, it looks like the 315 is almost a functional
        mirror image of the 325A. So my question is, does the form have to be
        off of the press bed when you ink the rollers? If so, then maybe you
        do not need a trip lock. I'm sure someone who knows presses better
        than I, can correct or confirm.

        Russ