Re: Platemaker

  • Casey McGarr
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
      Thanks everyone for your comments. Lots to consider but I think I have my answer by all the
      posts here.

      Casey
      iLP
    • Kim Vanderheiden
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
        Casey,

        We own a 12x12 AV platemaker. I suspect it's the same model you're
        considering. It gets the job done, but we had better results from our
        previous plate maker. Although we bought our AV 12x12 new, it arrived
        with no instructions specific to this machine. I'm sure the folks on
        this list can help with general instructions if you don't already
        have experience, but. . . we thought some factory info would have
        been nice. The oven comes at a pre-set temperature from the factory.
        There are no heat controls on the unit, which was not the case with
        our previous unit. The heat from the oven/dryer is supposed to heat
        the bath water to the appropriate temperature, which means the unit
        has to be on for some time--a couple of hours, I'd guess, to bring it
        up to temp.

        Sometimes we have to redo plates because they've become too brittle
        or have separated from the metal during the platemaking process. We
        used to never have to remake plates (unless due to our own errors of
        course!). We find that we are watching the plates carefully for color
        shifts that indicate the plates have become brittle, and we think the
        drying heater, or possibly the post exposure time, is the culprit and
        have limited the time in there.

        That said, this model is a good price and a good size if you don't
        have a lot of space for a big machine. We don't make posters, though.
        You might prefer an A2 size for posters.

        Kim Vanderheiden

        Platemaker

        Posted by: "Casey McGarr" casey@... cmcgarr1957
        Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:26 pm (PST)

        Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
        the cross post.

        I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here
        is a
        question for anyone that owns a plate maker.

        I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It
        fits my needs except
        when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
        the type in wood or
        metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any
        work you do and wish
        you had purchased a larger plate maker?

        It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
        through the shop can
        justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.

        Casey
        iLP
      • nagraph1
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
          If you have a hot water tap and a thermometer, you can readily get to
          the wash temperature without waiting for the machine to get there--
          same is true if the water temp is too high--add cold water and drain
          off the excess water. AV should furnish basic instructions. The Jet
          machines we sell come with the basic instructions.

          fritz

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
            Kim

            There is a link to a downloadable A&V Orbital X Manual on site:

            Links>Photopolymer plate tech info, recent developments, and other
            resources and reference>

            It may or may not have some answers, depending upon what model you have.

            <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

            > Casey,
            >
            > We own a 12x12 AV platemaker. I suspect it's the same model you're
            > considering. It gets the job done, but we had better results from our
            > previous plate maker. Although we bought our AV 12x12 new, it arrived
            > with no instructions specific to this machine. I'm sure the folks on
            > this list can help with general instructions if you don't already
            > have experience, but. . . we thought some factory info would have
            > been nice. The oven comes at a pre-set temperature from the factory.
            > There are no heat controls on the unit, which was not the case with
            > our previous unit. The heat from the oven/dryer is supposed to heat
            > the bath water to the appropriate temperature, which means the unit
            > has to be on for some time--a couple of hours, I'd guess, to bring it
            > up to temp.
            >
            > Sometimes we have to redo plates because they've become too brittle
            > or have separated from the metal during the platemaking process. We
            > used to never have to remake plates (unless due to our own errors of
            > course!). We find that we are watching the plates carefully for color
            > shifts that indicate the plates have become brittle, and we think the
            > drying heater, or possibly the post exposure time, is the culprit and
            > have limited the time in there.
            >
            > That said, this model is a good price and a good size if you don't
            > have a lot of space for a big machine. We don't make posters, though.
            > You might prefer an A2 size for posters.
            >
            > Kim Vanderheiden
            >

            > Platemaker
            >
            > Posted by: "Casey McGarr" casey@... cmcgarr1957
            > Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:26 pm (PST)
            >
            > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
            > the cross post.
            >
            > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here
            > is a
            > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
            >
            > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It
            > fits my needs except
            > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
            > the type in wood or
            > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any
            > work you do and wish
            > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
            >
            > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
            > through the shop can
            > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
            >
            > Casey
            > iLP

          • Bryan
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hey all
              Bryan from Manifesto Letterpress here. We're growing like crazy. 2008
              and 2009 are looking to bring us substantial growth.

              Get in touch with us directly:
              email: bryan@...
              phone: 866.529.0009
              web: www.manifestopress.com

              Presses:
              We're buying presses. Looking for 10x15 Windmills. I need 6 more by
              the end of the year. Only good quality machines please. Prefer
              lockouts, or later model red balls, but will consider a great
              condition black ball. A friend of mine runs a trucking company and
              they have trucks running all over the US. So the right press at a
              distance isn't a problem...

              Bunting Bases:
              Want to get rid of your Bunting Base? We need em. With a total of 9
              windmills required by the end of the year, we need bases for them.
              6"x9" is ideal but we'll consider other sizes as well.

              Press Operators:
              We're looking to immediately hire two (2) operators for late Spring,
              early Summer. We will also be hiring three more (3) for 2009. Yeah,
              you need to be experienced. We're only looking to train people who
              have a printing background.

              Benefits? Yes!
              Cool Place to work? Yes!
              Mountains? Yes!

              What we don't need:
              - Napoleon Dynamite wannabes. Yeah, the movie was great, but. we're
              looking for serious production people who are somewhat adjusted
              socially.

              -Boxcar Bases. We like em, but we're setup for production with
              Bunting Bases.

              -Kluges, C&Ps, Vandercooks, etc. (WE ARE LOOKING FOR WINDMILLS ONLY)

              bryan hutcheson
              manifesto letterpress
              116 pleasant street - 201/203
              easthampton, ma 01027
              p:413.529.0009
              f:413.529.1177
              www.manifestopress.com
              _________________________________
              a full-service design and letterpress studio
              announcements
              stationery
              packaging
              posters

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                Bryan

                Nice to see someone expanding in the face of an economic recession.
                Best time to do it.

                I'm a rep for Bunting and can supply as many Bunting bases as you
                need. Bunting provides quantity discounts. There is a two to three
                week waiting period as the bases are ground to your plate specifications.

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                  William

                  Bunting was over for a visit last week and though I pissed and moaned
                  about the pricing (which increases annually like clockwork) and as
                  much other stuff as I could think of about their practices, they would
                  only promise they would not discontinue production. So, we are safe
                  for a bit.

                  Gerald

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                    Hi Bryan

                    Don't have an extra Windmill, I just got mine all polished up and
                    running...
                    However, I do have some free proofreading:

                    http://www.manifestopress.com/portfolio2.html

                    "...work to show in our protfolio"

                    :-)

                    Great stuff you all are doing.
                    That's a lot of printing going on!

                    Cheers from the frozen midwest!

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
                    http://dubuquebookarts.com

                    On 4 Feb 2008, at 6:54 PM, Bryan wrote:

                    > Hey all
                    > Bryan from Manifesto Letterpress here. We're growing like crazy. 2008
                    > and 2009 are looking to bring us substantial growth.
                    >
                    > Get in touch with us directly:
                    > email: bryan@...
                    > phone: 866.529.0009
                    > web: www.manifestopress.com

                  • Elaine Luther
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 15, 2008
                      On 2/1/08, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

                      > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits my needs except when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the type in wood or metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work you do and wish you had purchased a larger plate maker?

                      Hi,

                      this is what I have. This is plenty big for me, but then I don't do posters.

                      There was also the question of heating water for this unit, and I
                      agree, the heaters do not heat the water, or not in a time frame that
                      works for me. I simply drain and refill the machine for each use.
                      Fresh, hot water every time, then the heater/dryer keeps the water
                      warm.

                      The thing that holds the plates for wash out is just exactly 12 x 12,
                      ex-at-tactly, so if you are doing something that goes all the way out
                      to the edges, you could have a problem in wash out.

                      It's a great machine and I'm happy with it, though I admit I've never
                      used any thing else.

                      One more tip: the loose brush hairs problem with a new processor: I
                      mostly solved this by shop vac'ing the brushes after use. That may
                      not be recommended, but it worked!

                      Elaine
                    • ausart1938
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
                        At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
                        We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
                        Arthur in Australia.
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
                          Arthur

                          I am currently in the process of rehabilitating a photopolymer
                          platemaker (for an institution) and yes there are some things to be
                          concerned about. First off, this eBay bid-won machine came damaged in
                          shipping, nice, but nothing not cosmetic seemed damaged. After pounding
                          flat the metal sheeting smashed by the fork lift, I had to rewire the
                          machine because of some electric configuration differences, this might
                          not be uncommon.

                          As an aside I think this is funny: It's a single-phase with a big odd
                          electrical plug. The institutional electrician determined that because
                          of the plug a three-phase rewiring would cost the department $3,500,
                          internal rewiring of the walls, etc. Big tag on the back of the machine:
                          single-phase. I found a cord and smaller plug in my junk. Re-did some of
                          the connections. Problem solved. Amazingly, in this economy, that
                          electrician still has a job, eating jelly dough nuts every morning and
                          blowing off steam most of the day. Um, at one point in my life I was a
                          card carrying member of the IBEW.

                          There are going to be usual maintenance replacements: brushes, bulbs,
                          vacuum pump, odd parts. None of this is all that difficult. But it is
                          expensive. Electrical problems are usually rampant, mainly a matter of
                          replacing stuff; switches, ballasts, connections. WD-40 does wonders
                          though, try it first on switches.

                          The main problem you have is already stated, you don't have a
                          manufacturer's name. That could be real important in terms of manual,
                          parts availability, etc. I would be concerned about that.

                          There is some likely useful information for you on my weblog : digital
                          Letterpress page.

                          Best of luck.

                          ausart1938 wrote:
                          > At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
                          > We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
                          > Arthur in Australia.

                        • Norman Hicks
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
                            Are you sure that you need an all-in-one-box?

                            I have seen a lot of "home made" setups.
                            Not sure I would start out with an imagesetter and film processor.
                            The imagesetter is easy enough but the chemistry and the film
                            processor is another matter...
                            To expose the plate you simply need a vacuum frame and a light source,
                            Washing can be accomplished with a soft brush and doing it by hand. Re-
                            exposing and baking are also simple.

                            The platemakers are expensive, used or new. We have thought about
                            importing a nice Japanese brand but it seems like too much work...
                            The flexo printing world uses platemakers though theirs are solvent
                            (nasty) wash, maybe they could be modified to be water wash.... I sure
                            that there would be a large supply of those units...

                            We have several platemakers from the rubber-stamp making-world, maybe
                            they could work?

                            Norman Hicks

                            Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
                            582 6th Street