Re: Trip mechanism on Vandercook 325A

  • russwiecking
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
      Eric,

      The spring was missing only in my schematic
      <http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff181/Russ_Wiecking/Vandermanualtrip\
      linkagetcm.jpg> (but no longer). I have to agree that it is a strange
      design considering the mentality that provided of an oil hole to
      lubricate a simple sliding fit rod that can be pulled out and oiled
      directly --but not so "perfectly" as with the oil hole. Use of a chain
      does not seem to be of the usual "official" quality of design that makes
      Vandercooks so satisfying. But it works and my guess is that it was not
      intended to lock for reasons described earlier. Do you know of any
      presses that do not lock in trip?

      Russ

    • Eileen Madden
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
        Russ -

        This does, indeed represent my trip mechanism. If I understand you
        correctly, and from working with the press it makes some sense,
        tripping the press isn't really necessary since the paper precedes the
        rollers? One would have it in print mode to ink the type, and since
        the tympan is in front, there's no need for tripping to ink? I'm not
        sure if that's accurate. All I know is that chain has come is not at
        tight as it was when I first got it (nine months or so ago. . . .)

        We had a snow day here in Evanston, so I've not had a chance to get
        under it and look for the oil holes you mention. Your drawing was
        easier for me to follow than the schematics in the manual I have.

        I'm afraid I don't know what "chamfered" means?

        Thanks.

        Eileen

      • russwiecking
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
          Eileen,

          I am only familiar with 325A thanks to the picture on Moxon's site.
          Comparing the pictures (http://vandercookpress.info/images/325AH.jpg
          and http://vandercookpress.info/images/315.jpg). Though I can't see
          how your rollers work, it looks like the 315 is almost a functional
          mirror image of the 325A. So my question is, does the form have to be
          off of the press bed when you ink the rollers? If so, then maybe you
          do not need a trip lock. I'm sure someone who knows presses better
          than I, can correct or confirm.

          Russ