Re: [PPLetterpress] Platemaker

  • Lisa Davidson
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hee hee, you said you were a hobby printer!! I did wonder about that.

      Lisa

      On Feb 1, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Casey McGarr wrote:

      > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
      > the cross post.
      >
      > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but
      > here is a
      > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
      >
      > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate.
      > It fits my needs except
      > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
      > the type in wood or
      > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to
      > any work you do and wish
      > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
      >
      > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work
      > coming through the shop can
      > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
      >
      > Casey
      > iLP

    • Erik Desmyter
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
        Talking about posters how large (length & width) can letterpress polymer
        plates go and what are the maximum length/width limitations of the
        platemaking equipment to process them?

        Regards,
        Erik

        I think you might find this a bit constrictive. Depends somewhat also on
        how large you work, that is to say, how large you can work. Base size,
        bed size. You could always out source for the occasional larger image
        piece. If the price is right might well be a good option.

        Casey McGarr wrote:
        > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for the
        > cross post.
        >
        > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here is a
        > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
        >
        > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits
        > my needs except
        > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the
        > type in wood or
        > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work
        > you do and wish
        > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
        >
        > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
        > through the shop can
        > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
        >
        > Casey
        > iLP
      • Elisabeth Long
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
          It is always nice to have the flexibility of a larger platemaker but
          whether that is worth the expense probably depends on what types of
          designs you do and how often you'd need the larger size.

          One of the things I love about nonmetal-backed polymer is that it is
          so easy to cut up into pieces that can be arranged wherever you want
          on the base, which means you can cover a larger area than the size of
          the original plate (provided you have large enough bases...). [Of
          course this can be done with metal-backed as well, it is just that
          once I switched I found I could gang up images in a more flexible way
          on the negatives/pplates and cut around them in nice curves that
          matched the layout.]

          On the other hand, there are times when it can be nice to do a full
          plate with everything laid out, instead of doing the layout on the
          base. In such cases you'd need to be able to make large enough plates
          for your project. I've done that for a broadside and for the recent
          cover for the Journal of Artists books which had an image that wrapped
          across the full spread front to back. It really stretched the
          capability of the platemaker we have at Columbia College because the
          plate (11x17) was not much smaller than the vacuum bed so getting a
          good seal was rather fiddly. you really need a decent gap all the way
          around your polymer to ensure a good seal.

          So a lot can depend upon the kinds of designs you do and whether you
          could piece together the components of your posters or if your designs
          requires a continuous line. with the non-metal backed polymer it is
          amazing how closely you can cut components of a layout and piece them
          together.

          <erik.desmyter@...> wrote:

          > Talking about posters how large (length & width) can letterpress
          polymer
          > plates go and what are the maximum length/width limitations of the
          > platemaking equipment to process them?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Erik

        • Casey McGarr
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 2, 2008
            Thanks everyone for your comments. Lots to consider but I think I have my answer by all the
            posts here.

            Casey
            iLP
          • Kim Vanderheiden
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
              Casey,

              We own a 12x12 AV platemaker. I suspect it's the same model you're
              considering. It gets the job done, but we had better results from our
              previous plate maker. Although we bought our AV 12x12 new, it arrived
              with no instructions specific to this machine. I'm sure the folks on
              this list can help with general instructions if you don't already
              have experience, but. . . we thought some factory info would have
              been nice. The oven comes at a pre-set temperature from the factory.
              There are no heat controls on the unit, which was not the case with
              our previous unit. The heat from the oven/dryer is supposed to heat
              the bath water to the appropriate temperature, which means the unit
              has to be on for some time--a couple of hours, I'd guess, to bring it
              up to temp.

              Sometimes we have to redo plates because they've become too brittle
              or have separated from the metal during the platemaking process. We
              used to never have to remake plates (unless due to our own errors of
              course!). We find that we are watching the plates carefully for color
              shifts that indicate the plates have become brittle, and we think the
              drying heater, or possibly the post exposure time, is the culprit and
              have limited the time in there.

              That said, this model is a good price and a good size if you don't
              have a lot of space for a big machine. We don't make posters, though.
              You might prefer an A2 size for posters.

              Kim Vanderheiden

              Platemaker

              Posted by: "Casey McGarr" casey@... cmcgarr1957
              Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:26 pm (PST)

              Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
              the cross post.

              I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here
              is a
              question for anyone that owns a plate maker.

              I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It
              fits my needs except
              when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
              the type in wood or
              metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any
              work you do and wish
              you had purchased a larger plate maker?

              It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
              through the shop can
              justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.

              Casey
              iLP
            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                If you have a hot water tap and a thermometer, you can readily get to
                the wash temperature without waiting for the machine to get there--
                same is true if the water temp is too high--add cold water and drain
                off the excess water. AV should furnish basic instructions. The Jet
                machines we sell come with the basic instructions.

                fritz

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Kim

                  There is a link to a downloadable A&V Orbital X Manual on site:

                  Links>Photopolymer plate tech info, recent developments, and other
                  resources and reference>

                  It may or may not have some answers, depending upon what model you have.

                  <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

                  > Casey,
                  >
                  > We own a 12x12 AV platemaker. I suspect it's the same model you're
                  > considering. It gets the job done, but we had better results from our
                  > previous plate maker. Although we bought our AV 12x12 new, it arrived
                  > with no instructions specific to this machine. I'm sure the folks on
                  > this list can help with general instructions if you don't already
                  > have experience, but. . . we thought some factory info would have
                  > been nice. The oven comes at a pre-set temperature from the factory.
                  > There are no heat controls on the unit, which was not the case with
                  > our previous unit. The heat from the oven/dryer is supposed to heat
                  > the bath water to the appropriate temperature, which means the unit
                  > has to be on for some time--a couple of hours, I'd guess, to bring it
                  > up to temp.
                  >
                  > Sometimes we have to redo plates because they've become too brittle
                  > or have separated from the metal during the platemaking process. We
                  > used to never have to remake plates (unless due to our own errors of
                  > course!). We find that we are watching the plates carefully for color
                  > shifts that indicate the plates have become brittle, and we think the
                  > drying heater, or possibly the post exposure time, is the culprit and
                  > have limited the time in there.
                  >
                  > That said, this model is a good price and a good size if you don't
                  > have a lot of space for a big machine. We don't make posters, though.
                  > You might prefer an A2 size for posters.
                  >
                  > Kim Vanderheiden
                  >

                  > Platemaker
                  >
                  > Posted by: "Casey McGarr" casey@... cmcgarr1957
                  > Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:26 pm (PST)
                  >
                  > Oops, I posted this on APA and it should have been here. Sorry for
                  > the cross post.
                  >
                  > I know this has been asked before and I've read the archives but here
                  > is a
                  > question for anyone that owns a plate maker.
                  >
                  > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It
                  > fits my needs except
                  > when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set
                  > the type in wood or
                  > metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any
                  > work you do and wish
                  > you had purchased a larger plate maker?
                  >
                  > It's a bit of an investment for me although the amount of work coming
                  > through the shop can
                  > justify such a purchase. Any feedback would be grateful.
                  >
                  > Casey
                  > iLP

                • Bryan
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                    Hey all
                    Bryan from Manifesto Letterpress here. We're growing like crazy. 2008
                    and 2009 are looking to bring us substantial growth.

                    Get in touch with us directly:
                    email: bryan@...
                    phone: 866.529.0009
                    web: www.manifestopress.com

                    Presses:
                    We're buying presses. Looking for 10x15 Windmills. I need 6 more by
                    the end of the year. Only good quality machines please. Prefer
                    lockouts, or later model red balls, but will consider a great
                    condition black ball. A friend of mine runs a trucking company and
                    they have trucks running all over the US. So the right press at a
                    distance isn't a problem...

                    Bunting Bases:
                    Want to get rid of your Bunting Base? We need em. With a total of 9
                    windmills required by the end of the year, we need bases for them.
                    6"x9" is ideal but we'll consider other sizes as well.

                    Press Operators:
                    We're looking to immediately hire two (2) operators for late Spring,
                    early Summer. We will also be hiring three more (3) for 2009. Yeah,
                    you need to be experienced. We're only looking to train people who
                    have a printing background.

                    Benefits? Yes!
                    Cool Place to work? Yes!
                    Mountains? Yes!

                    What we don't need:
                    - Napoleon Dynamite wannabes. Yeah, the movie was great, but. we're
                    looking for serious production people who are somewhat adjusted
                    socially.

                    -Boxcar Bases. We like em, but we're setup for production with
                    Bunting Bases.

                    -Kluges, C&Ps, Vandercooks, etc. (WE ARE LOOKING FOR WINDMILLS ONLY)

                    bryan hutcheson
                    manifesto letterpress
                    116 pleasant street - 201/203
                    easthampton, ma 01027
                    p:413.529.0009
                    f:413.529.1177
                    www.manifestopress.com
                    _________________________________
                    a full-service design and letterpress studio
                    announcements
                    stationery
                    packaging
                    posters

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                      Bryan

                      Nice to see someone expanding in the face of an economic recession.
                      Best time to do it.

                      I'm a rep for Bunting and can supply as many Bunting bases as you
                      need. Bunting provides quantity discounts. There is a two to three
                      week waiting period as the bases are ground to your plate specifications.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                        William

                        Bunting was over for a visit last week and though I pissed and moaned
                        about the pricing (which increases annually like clockwork) and as
                        much other stuff as I could think of about their practices, they would
                        only promise they would not discontinue production. So, we are safe
                        for a bit.

                        Gerald

                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Hi Bryan

                          Don't have an extra Windmill, I just got mine all polished up and
                          running...
                          However, I do have some free proofreading:

                          http://www.manifestopress.com/portfolio2.html

                          "...work to show in our protfolio"

                          :-)

                          Great stuff you all are doing.
                          That's a lot of printing going on!

                          Cheers from the frozen midwest!

                          Peter Fraterdeus
                          http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
                          http://dubuquebookarts.com

                          On 4 Feb 2008, at 6:54 PM, Bryan wrote:

                          > Hey all
                          > Bryan from Manifesto Letterpress here. We're growing like crazy. 2008
                          > and 2009 are looking to bring us substantial growth.
                          >
                          > Get in touch with us directly:
                          > email: bryan@...
                          > phone: 866.529.0009
                          > web: www.manifestopress.com

                        • Elaine Luther
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 15, 2008
                            On 2/1/08, Casey McGarr <casey@...> wrote:

                            > I'm considering an AV plate maker that will produce a 12x12 plate. It fits my needs except when I produce posters and then I may just carve the image and set the type in wood or metal. Has anyone found that this size plate maker is limited to any work you do and wish you had purchased a larger plate maker?

                            Hi,

                            this is what I have. This is plenty big for me, but then I don't do posters.

                            There was also the question of heating water for this unit, and I
                            agree, the heaters do not heat the water, or not in a time frame that
                            works for me. I simply drain and refill the machine for each use.
                            Fresh, hot water every time, then the heater/dryer keeps the water
                            warm.

                            The thing that holds the plates for wash out is just exactly 12 x 12,
                            ex-at-tactly, so if you are doing something that goes all the way out
                            to the edges, you could have a problem in wash out.

                            It's a great machine and I'm happy with it, though I admit I've never
                            used any thing else.

                            One more tip: the loose brush hairs problem with a new processor: I
                            mostly solved this by shop vac'ing the brushes after use. That may
                            not be recommended, but it worked!

                            Elaine
                          • ausart1938
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
                              At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
                              We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
                              Arthur in Australia.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 18, 2009
                                Arthur

                                I am currently in the process of rehabilitating a photopolymer
                                platemaker (for an institution) and yes there are some things to be
                                concerned about. First off, this eBay bid-won machine came damaged in
                                shipping, nice, but nothing not cosmetic seemed damaged. After pounding
                                flat the metal sheeting smashed by the fork lift, I had to rewire the
                                machine because of some electric configuration differences, this might
                                not be uncommon.

                                As an aside I think this is funny: It's a single-phase with a big odd
                                electrical plug. The institutional electrician determined that because
                                of the plug a three-phase rewiring would cost the department $3,500,
                                internal rewiring of the walls, etc. Big tag on the back of the machine:
                                single-phase. I found a cord and smaller plug in my junk. Re-did some of
                                the connections. Problem solved. Amazingly, in this economy, that
                                electrician still has a job, eating jelly dough nuts every morning and
                                blowing off steam most of the day. Um, at one point in my life I was a
                                card carrying member of the IBEW.

                                There are going to be usual maintenance replacements: brushes, bulbs,
                                vacuum pump, odd parts. None of this is all that difficult. But it is
                                expensive. Electrical problems are usually rampant, mainly a matter of
                                replacing stuff; switches, ballasts, connections. WD-40 does wonders
                                though, try it first on switches.

                                The main problem you have is already stated, you don't have a
                                manufacturer's name. That could be real important in terms of manual,
                                parts availability, etc. I would be concerned about that.

                                There is some likely useful information for you on my weblog : digital
                                Letterpress page.

                                Best of luck.

                                ausart1938 wrote:
                                > At Gulgong pioneers Museum we are bidding on a Photopolymer Platemaker with the UV unit and the washout and drying unit all combined. Is there anything in particular to watch out for with these units, there is no manufacturers name on the unit. This is a A3 size unit. We hope with this we may get a new generation interested in what we do at the Olde Time Print Shoppe.
                                > We have 3 Linecasters working now and another goes but the pot is not set up. Our model 48 and Electron still need work. We have a second Ludlow up and running and with a Adana, C&P 8x12 and a Proof Press plus other gear we will take this to our local small farms field days next month. These are all fine now with myself and our Lino Mechanic but we need someone to learn these machines and if they can't at least they could use the platemaker. If we get this platemaker it will be a new learning curve for me.
                                > Arthur in Australia.

                              • Norman Hicks
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 10, 2010
                                  Are you sure that you need an all-in-one-box?

                                  I have seen a lot of "home made" setups.
                                  Not sure I would start out with an imagesetter and film processor.
                                  The imagesetter is easy enough but the chemistry and the film
                                  processor is another matter...
                                  To expose the plate you simply need a vacuum frame and a light source,
                                  Washing can be accomplished with a soft brush and doing it by hand. Re-
                                  exposing and baking are also simple.

                                  The platemakers are expensive, used or new. We have thought about
                                  importing a nice Japanese brand but it seems like too much work...
                                  The flexo printing world uses platemakers though theirs are solvent
                                  (nasty) wash, maybe they could be modified to be water wash.... I sure
                                  that there would be a large supply of those units...

                                  We have several platemakers from the rubber-stamp making-world, maybe
                                  they could work?

                                  Norman Hicks

                                  Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
                                  582 6th Street