Re: [PPLetterpress] PPWeirdness

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hard to give any useful advice without knowing what manufacturer and
      brand of plate you are using, including the code for size/hardness. You
      can't switch plates and use the same formula, each is going to be
      different. Yellow and clear really isn't a lot of information, Peter.

      From the pics, doesn't look like you are washing them out long enough.
      Never seen anything like this before. Even the earlier plates aren't
      washed out fully. Plates should look mechanically "pretty" when you are
      done (especially if you are selling them). These look like some organic
      mess. Before and after.

      How cold is it there? If you are processing below 68 degrees room
      temperature, you can have some very strange problems.

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2008
        That grid pattern from the vacuum frame is something I have never seen
        before. Weird to see it manifesting in the plate. I think there was
        some discussion here previously, specifically related to the Interflex
        and polyester-backed plates. I thought a solution had been proffered?
        I've not experienced this with the A&V and polyester-backed plates. Is
        there something weird about the grooves? Too thick, different
        coloration or something (that might effect the UV)?

        When properly exposed and washed out, plates should look more like this:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/28027653@N00/36562226/

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hi Gerald

          >Hard to give any useful advice without knowing what manufacturer and
          >brand of plate you are using, including the code for size/hardness. You
          >can't switch plates and use the same formula, each is going to be
          >different. Yellow and clear really isn't a lot of information, Peter.

          The clear back is from Boxcar, the 67 hardness, I think, standard depth. KF95
          http://www.boxcarpress.com/photopolymer-supplies/photopolymer-plates.html

          The yellow is leftovers which arrived along with the Interflex, I think they were probably from Boxcar as well. Again, I've made perfectly good plates with both of these....

          > From the pics, doesn't look like you are washing them out long enough.

          This is after five minutes.
          But the weirdest thing is that "Grid"
          It matches the location of the vacuum grid...

          >Never seen anything like this before. Even the earlier plates aren't
          >washed out fully. Plates should look mechanically "pretty" when you are
          >done (especially if you are selling them). These look like some organic
          >mess. Before and after.

          Oh yes, it's very strange...
          They've been gorgeous before this started happening.

          >How cold is it there? If you are processing below 68 degrees room
          >temperature, you can have some very strange problems.

          Hmmm.. Maybe.
          But the platemaker is definitely warmer than that.
          The room varies between 62 and 76 due to a flaky thermostat and furnace... (that is, I am always adjusting the thermostat since it can't seem to keep a constant temp)

          Indeed, maybe I should get a new thermostat for the press-room!

          As it turns out, Amber made a very good suggestion which was to underlay the tiny spots in the plate that was otherwise perfect, which I finally did, and am now printing with fine results!
          All the plates made tonight were useless, but two nano-triangles of .002 tissue precisely placed with the ever-present x-acto(r) knive made the difference.

          Thanks very much Gerald, I deeply appreciate the input.

          Regards from west Siberia on the Mississippi....

          p.

          Peter Fraterdeus * PO Box 248 * Galena, Illinois * 61036 * USA
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
            >That grid pattern from the vacuum frame is something I have never seen
            >before. Weird to see it manifesting in the plate. I think there was
            >some discussion here previously, specifically related to the Interflex
            >and polyester-backed plates.

            Really? I'll have to dig around. Thanks for the pointer!

            > I thought a solution had been proffered?
            >I've not experienced this with the A&V and polyester-backed plates. Is
            >there something weird about the grooves? Too thick, different
            >coloration or something (that might effect the UV)?

            I don't know. It is very weird though, and disconcerting, as I can't see what has changed from one plate to the next. It's as if the film is not dense enough, or something, but unless that can change over time, it's been fine up 'til now!

            >When properly exposed and washed out, plates should look more like this:
            >http://www.flickr.com/photos/28027653@N00/36562226/

            Yes. As noted I've had plenty of good luck before Mercury retrograde started ;-)
            These little 'antelope' greeting cards were done with the 'old' yellow pp... ( dampened Lettra on the V219)
            http://www.exquisiteletterpress.com/cards/exquisitegreetingcards/archive/samples/unique-invitation-designs-by-kf/P1020933.JPG

            Maybe it's the wrong Moon sign for platemaking?

            Ciao

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
              Hi again

              Those Toyobo KF95s should wash out in 3.5 minutes max, at least, with
              the new formula. Exposure ratings depend upon what kind of lamps you
              are using. I'm running these at 3 minutes with the TLK 40W/10R lamps.
              Temp in bath at 90 degrees F, 12 minutes in the oven, 150 degrees F. 6
              minutes in post exposure. I use the same formula for the KM95s and
              have never experienced a plate problem myself or received any feedback
              from clients that would indicate a problem with this configuration.

              Note that a lot of the old formula KF/KM95 lingers about among
              distributors and it did require longer exposure and washout times, and
              this can cause some confusion.

              You really should NOT have to screw around cutting into the plates and
              inserting interlay. Something is quite wrong when and if that is the
              only solution.

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                Probably. I still have demon catchers hanging from the ceiling, though
                I have taken down all the tribute images of Moloch.

                Dampened Lettra!!! Interesting.

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                  At 9:02 AM +0000 2 02 08, Gerald Lange wrote:
                  >At 3:51 AM -0600 2 02 08, Peter Fraterdeus wrote:
                  >> Maybe it's the wrong Moon sign for platemaking?
                  >>>
                  >>> Ciao
                  >Probably. I still have demon catchers hanging from the ceiling, though
                  >I have taken down all the tribute images of Moloch.
                  >
                  >Dampened Lettra!!! Interesting.

                  Hey, it can't hurt to stay on the right side of the powers that be.
                  Mercury, after all being the patron of scribes, and communication...

                  The Lettra was dampened by leaving it for a day in a Rubbermaid storage box between blotters with some big sponges. Just damp enough for that nice flat impression...

                  Well, 4am approaches, and thank goodness, phase one of the bilingual, two-sided, double-paneled, seven piece invitation set is done. I think I'll take tomorrow off!
                  :-)

                  Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                  http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                  http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                • Harold Kyle
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Peter:

                    This happens when either the film you're using doesn't have enough
                    density or else the plate was exposed to too much ambient light prior to
                    exposure.

                    I don't think it's the film because the unwashed areas are different on
                    each plate. To test the film, hold the black part of the film over your
                    eyes and look toward a light bulb. If the film has enough density,
                    chances are you won't be able to see the light bulb through the film.

                    Could you have left your black bag unsealed, or left the plate on a
                    light table or in ambient light for fifteen minutes or more? This would
                    result. If you feel the plates arrived in this condition, and we
                    supplied these to you, you should speak with Cathy on Monday to discuss
                    replacement plates. All our stock is arrives fresh every quarter and is
                    a newer formulation of KF95 material. Although unusual, if there was any
                    mis-handling on our end, we will certainly replace your plates.

                    Thanks,
                    Harold
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Harold
                      Thanks very much for the thoughts on this.
                      Well, the same film had been used for plates which were aok earlier.
                      However they do seem a bit light to me, but then I'm in a very bright room, which leads to...

                      How much ambient light is too much?
                      I'm in a shop which is "well" lit (if any such adjective can be applied to 16 banks of 4 florescent bulbs)

                      I suppose it's very possible that the small pieces I've been using are the ends of larger pieces which have been pulled out of the bag a number of times. I will review my handling procedures!

                      However, I still don't understand the grid marks from the vacuum frame!

                      Thanks very much for your thoughts!

                      peter

                      At 10:58 AM -0500 2 02 08, Harold Kyle wrote:
                      >Peter:
                      >
                      >This happens when either the film you're using doesn't have enough
                      >density or else the plate was exposed to too much ambient light prior to
                      >exposure.
                      >
                      >I don't think it's the film because the unwashed areas are different on
                      >each plate. To test the film, hold the black part of the film over your
                      >eyes and look toward a light bulb. If the film has enough density,
                      >chances are you won't be able to see the light bulb through the film.
                      >
                      >Could you have left your black bag unsealed, or left the plate on a
                      >light table or in ambient light for fifteen minutes or more? This would
                      >result. If you feel the plates arrived in this condition, and we
                      >supplied these to you, you should speak with Cathy on Monday to discuss
                      >replacement plates. All our stock is arrives fresh every quarter and is
                      >a newer formulation of KF95 material. Although unusual, if there was any
                      >mis-handling on our end, we will certainly replace your plates.
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >Harold
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                      http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                    • parallel_imp
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008

                        > Up until this last one, the clear had been ok, but now it is also
                        showing what seems to be the grid pattern of the vacuum frame, which
                        is also embossed to a degree in the krene.

                        Peter, if that pattern is caused somehow by the vaccum grooves, I can
                        think of two possible correctives. If it is caused by light being
                        reflected back from the groove, you could put yellow or masking paper
                        or rubylith behind the plate when exposing. If it somehow a mechanical
                        artifact, which is hard to imagine, try putting a stiffener behind the
                        plate, like a piece of blank steel-backed photopolymer plate.
                        But it still depends on stray light getting into the non-image area,
                        and the other problems do look a bit like either fogging or thin
                        negatives. Either condition causes overexposure of non-image area.
                        --Eric Holub, SF
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                          > But it still depends on stray light getting into the non-image area,
                          >and the other problems do look a bit like either fogging or thin
                          >negatives. Either condition causes overexposure of non-image area.
                          > --Eric Holub, SF

                          Eric

                          Thanks for the observations.
                          I will talk to my film processor, although, as noted, previous plates from the same film were ok

                          Fogging makes sense, although I was (incorrectly, I see) under the impression that since the polymer requires high intensity short UV (the dangerous kind, no?) that typical ambient light during handling, ie, removal from the bag to cut to size, wouldn't be a problem.
                          Hmm.

                          Just a lazy question: where can one find data sheets on the photopolymers, ie handling policies, exposure, etc?

                          Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                          http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                          http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                        • Lisa Davidson
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                            Peter,

                            As you probably know, fluorescent light bulbs put out a lot of UV,
                            so much that you can make a perfectly good contact print onto a
                            platinum emulsion from a close-up bank of fluorescent bulbs in 24
                            hours. If you change them all to tungsten, it will cost more in
                            electricity, but the light will be safer.

                            Lisa

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 2, 2008
                              On 2 Feb 2008, at 2:36 PM, Lisa Davidson wrote:
                              > Peter,
                              >
                              > As you probably know, fluorescent light bulbs put out a lot of UV,
                              > so much that you can make a perfectly good contact print onto a
                              > platinum emulsion from a close-up bank of fluorescent bulbs in 24
                              > hours. If you change them all to tungsten, it will cost more in
                              > electricity, but the light will be safer.
                              >
                              > Lisa

                              Hi Lisa

                              Yes, safer... Sadly, it's not really an option as these are in 'drop
                              ceiling' installed fixtures. I'm trying to come up with some kind of
                              options, but not much comes to mind...

                              Wish I could just jump all the way to LEDs ;-)

                              Ciao

                              Peter Fraterdeus
                              http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
                              http://dubuquebookarts.com
                            • lokkenprint
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2008
                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote: > > On 2 Feb 2008, at 2:36 PM, Lisa Davidson wrote: > > Peter, > > > > As you probably know, fluorescent light bulbs put out a lot of UV, > > so much that you can make a perfectly good contact print onto a > > platinum emulsion from a close-up bank of fluorescent bulbs in 24 > > hours. If you change them all to tungsten, it will cost more in > > electricity, but the light will be safer. > > > > Lisa > > > Hi Lisa > > Yes, safer... Sadly, it's not really an option as these are in 'drop > ceiling' installed fixtures. I'm trying to come up with some kind of > options, but not much comes to mind... > > Wish I could just jump all the way to LEDs ;-) > > Ciao > p > > > Peter Fraterdeus > http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com > http://dubuquebookarts.com > In my platemaking area, I have amber tubes that cover my flourescent bulbs. They block the UV spectrum. They should still be available through Xpedx or Valley Litho. I would not recommend these tubes in a press area as they would affect color perception. Sumner
                              • Russ Wiecking - Wood and Metal Craft
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  It might be useful to keep in mind that the amount of light on the
                                  plate is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the
                                  source. This benefits in that doubling the distance from plate to light
                                  source decreases the light to 1/4 of the original, quadrupling the
                                  distance decreases it to 1/16 of the original, and so on. What might
                                  currently be a 24 hour exposure time, would become a 96 hour exposure
                                  time if the distance is doubled. You may only need bulb covers in the
                                  immediate vicinity so that the remaining bulbs are an acceptable
                                  distance. Maybe there could be a horizontal shade just below a few
                                  lights that you could pull when you handle film. Or re-wire to switch
                                  them off...It would be good to know the distance and number of bulbs
                                  referenced in Lisa's note so you can get a feel for how likely it is
                                  that your lights are really an issue.

                                  Russ

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    Hi Russ

                                    The room is about 15x35 with an eight foot drop-ceiling in which are 16 four-tube fixtures, each lamp being, what, 25W so 100W in each fixture?
                                    pretty much anywhere in the room will be within 10 feet line-of-sight from a bulb.
                                    Your suggestion confirms what I was thinking which is to put the filters on the fixtures in the immediate vicinity of the platemaker, and where I'm cutting the material.

                                    Regards

                                    At 8:53 AM -0800 4 02 08, Russ Wiecking - Wood and Metal Craft wrote:
                                    >.... You may only need bulb covers in the
                                    >immediate vicinity so that the remaining bulbs are an acceptable
                                    >distance. Maybe there could be a horizontal shade just below a few
                                    >lights that you could pull when you handle film. Or re-wire to switch
                                    >them off...It would be good to know the distance and number of bulbs
                                    >referenced in Lisa's note so you can get a feel for how likely it is
                                    >that your lights are really an issue.
                                    >
                                    >Russ

                                    Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                                    http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                                    http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                                  • John G. Henry
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 5, 2008
                                      I'd have to think that there is not enough density in the negatives
                                      you are using. There should be no way that exposure occurs in the non-
                                      image areas of the plate (evidenced by the reprodcution of the vaccum
                                      channels, and long wash-out times). The image of the vacuum channels
                                      is most likely produced by reflection of the channels into the plate
                                      from the back. You will probably notice that the milled channels are
                                      shiny metal while the bed is more matte or subdued. I have not seen
                                      this happen in my own plates, but is simply conjecture on my part.

                                      If you hold the negative up to a bright light source (bare bulb), and
                                      pass something behind the film, can you detect the object moving and
                                      see an outline of it in the dark negative areas? If so, you probably
                                      do not have high enough density in the film. Check some other
                                      negatives which have worked well for you and see if there appears to
                                      be a difference in density.

                                      Density in negatives can vary a bit, but the whole process depends on
                                      the contrast between the dark and clear areas on the film. Another
                                      potential problem can be that there is some denisty in the clear
                                      areas which can cause your exposures to increase, which increases the
                                      likelihood that variance in black density can be a problem.

                                      John Henry
                                      Cedar Creek Press
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 5, 2008
                                        Hi John

                                        Thanks for the thoughts.
                                        I'm investigating a number of concerns with this issue.
                                        I do think the negs are a little thin, but they are from a loca offset printer who uses the same machine for his negatives. So, not likely to change, anyway.
                                        However, I've had perfect results with the same negatives, so I don't think that's the problem

                                        The vacuum grid is the weirdest thing, since the "exposure" passes right through both clear and black areas on the negative. It's as if it's exposed from underneath. Yet, the channels themselves are black, not metallic...

                                        Anyway, it does seem the most likely culprit is fogging, which I put down to the excessively bright florescent lighting in the shop. I'm looking into options to manage that a bit...

                                        Best
                                        Peter

                                        >I'd have to think that there is not enough density in the negatives
                                        >you are using. There should be no way that exposure occurs in the non-
                                        >image areas of the plate (evidenced by the reprodcution of the vaccum
                                        >channels, and long wash-out times). The image of the vacuum channels
                                        >is most likely produced by reflection of the channels into the plate
                                        >from the back. You will probably notice that the milled channels are
                                        >shiny metal while the bed is more matte or subdued. I have not seen
                                        >this happen in my own plates, but is simply conjecture on my part.
                                        >
                                        >If you hold the negative up to a bright light source (bare bulb), and
                                        >pass something behind the film, can you detect the object moving and
                                        >see an outline of it in the dark negative areas? If so, you probably
                                        >do not have high enough density in the film. Check some other
                                        >negatives which have worked well for you and see if there appears to
                                        >be a difference in density.
                                        >
                                        >Density in negatives can vary a bit, but the whole process depends on
                                        >the contrast between the dark and clear areas on the film. Another
                                        >potential problem can be that there is some denisty in the clear
                                        >areas which can cause your exposures to increase, which increases the
                                        >likelihood that variance in black density can be a problem.
                                        >
                                        >John Henry
                                        >Cedar Creek Press

                                        Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                                        http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                                        http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                                      • kringds
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 8, 2008
                                          Hi Gerald,

                                          I was browsing the archives on dampening paper and came across your post below in
                                          which you seem suprised at the dampening of Lettra. Could you tell me why you were
                                          supprised?

                                          I am getting ready to print a job on 32# lettra and am debating if I should dampen the
                                          paper. I will be printing on polymer plates with primarily line art with black ink.

                                          I have dampened heavier weight paper before with good results but I am wondering if it
                                          makes sense for a lighter weight paper. I assume it does. Could you or anyone with
                                          experience let me know their opinion on this?

                                          As always, thanks for the help and advice.

                                          bryan kring

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 9, 2008
                                            Hi Bryan

                                            My thinking is that commercial grade papers tend not to respond well to
                                            dampening. Primarily because of dominant grain direction and external
                                            sizing.

                                            I think the only commercial grade that I dampen is Curtis Flannel but my
                                            suspicion, is that it might actually have been a mouldmade, coming from
                                            the Scottish mills that Curtis owned. We had it tested once and the
                                            report came back that it consisted of tobacco leaves. I believe it was
                                            engine sized. Great printing paper no longer with us.

                                            One of my students had some double ply Lettra last semester. A very
                                            thick sheet that she was attempting to print on the Vandercook. Not only
                                            did the layers split apart but the entire back ply was warped throughout
                                            the heap. Might have been a bad lot or badly stored. Not a big fan.

                                            I don't know that you need to dampen on thinner stock. Most of the text
                                            weight mouldmades print well without dampening, though they do respond
                                            well when dampened. I guess I'd suggest dampening only when you really
                                            need to do it.

                                            An aside, but it does relate to the old thread you encountered. I
                                            believe some was asking about the bulging between letters that they were
                                            experiencing when printing on Cranes Lettra with the "deep relief"
                                            plate. I occurred to me the other day that the problem arises from
                                            relief depth. Subtract the relief thickness of a plate from the plate
                                            thickness and you get its relief depth. A Toyobo 95 mm K series plate
                                            has a 65 mm relief thickness. A Toyobo 1.52 mm K series plate has a 1.22
                                            mm relief thickness. Thus, surprise, surprise, they both have a relief
                                            depth of .30 mm. While the 152 is deeper (thicker) from surface to
                                            floor, material in close proximity at the surface (small text,
                                            letterform counters, etc) however, is limited to the relief depth.
                                            That's just the way the formation process works. Any other ratio in
                                            regard to relief depth would make the plate unstable. Thus you will get
                                            the bulging effect when you over impress as you are extending beyond the
                                            capability of the plate. The paper has to do something under the forced
                                            pressure so it bulges out where it can or even cracks. This would also
                                            account for the loss of isolated dots, fine lines, etc, on these plates
                                            under severe impression as they simply have no support.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 9, 2008
                                              Bryan, Gerald,

                                              Dampening worked well on the 300gsm Lettra
                                              Assuming one is doing single color work, variation in grain doesn't
                                              really come into it.
                                              Also, even with multiple colors, keeping the stock lightly wrapped
                                              between impressions will minimize dimensional variation.

                                              Double ply, 600gsm, I can imagine may be a problem on the cylinder,
                                              yes...

                                              As far as the other concern that Gerald alludes to, the plate in
                                              question was neither of the Toyobos, but a leftover that was acquired
                                              previously. I've had none of these problems with the Toyobo 152. One
                                              thing is that I've found that keeping the washout to the absolute
                                              minimum is critical, and often pull the plate while there are still
                                              small amounts of material adhering to the backing. (about 4.5 minutes)
                                              With this, I get lovely shoulders on even isolated thin rules and
                                              dots...

                                              My concern had nothing to do with "bulging" between the letters, but
                                              the fact that there was so little definition between the letters, so
                                              that the whole line of type appeared to be surrounded by a slight
                                              depression caused by very shallow shoulders. With the Toyobo (either
                                              95 or 152) I've not had this problem. While the impression was not
                                              wimpy, neither was it excessive. There is never embossing on the verso.

                                              Cheers

                                              On 8 May 2008, at 6:43 PM, kringds wrote:
                                              > Hi Gerald,
                                              >
                                              > I was browsing the archives on dampening paper and came across your
                                              > post below in
                                              > which you seem suprised at the dampening of Lettra. Could you tell
                                              > me why you were
                                              > supprised?
                                              >
                                              > I am getting ready to print a job on 32# lettra and am debating if I
                                              > should dampen the
                                              > paper. I will be printing on polymer plates with primarily line art
                                              > with black ink.
                                              >
                                              > I have dampened heavier weight paper before with good results but I
                                              > am wondering if it
                                              > makes sense for a lighter weight paper. I assume it does. Could you
                                              > or anyone with
                                              > experience let me know their opinion on this?
                                              >
                                              > As always, thanks for the help and advice.
                                              >
                                              > bryan kring

                                              Peter Fraterdeus
                                              Exquisite Letterpress
                                              http://slowprint.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 9, 2008
                                                Peter

                                                Don't know that the other concern was in reference to you, but you
                                                might even want to back down to 4 minutes on washout for the Toyobo
                                                152s. It 'll leave a bit of residue and not look as nice as one might
                                                hope, but it will definitely prevent undercutting and ensure support.
                                                These are steel-backs. Don't know about the polyester-backed 152s.

                                                The Toybobo 95s are a dream plate. Perfectly clean at 3.5 minute
                                                washout, no residue, no undercutting, steel- or polyester-backed.