Typography: Space Craft (was [PPLetterpress] Re: My type has legs)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2008
      On 29 Jan 2008, at 11:32 AM, Jamison Hiner wrote:

      > Thank you all for the advice the tape alone has help considerably. Im
      > going to try the Formica today.
      >
      > As for the jobs im doing...... Michael.... everything I have done for
      > now has been for friends at cost just for the fact that I have not
      > learned everything and its not perfect, but to tell you the truth
      > people like the hand fed not perfect quality.

      Hi Jamie

      Hmm. I'm glad you're asking for pointers in spite of that ;-)
      Letterpress can be the most "perfect" of all typographic processes if
      it's done with the same degree of craft that a violin maker or
      ceramicist takes over their work.

      Nice photos on your site, by the way.

      Coming from a hand-set background, there's one thing I'd note for all
      Photopolymer users, by the way: If you are setting your type on the
      computer, take the time to pay very close attention to the letters
      themselves.

      Or more precisely, to the spaces in between them.
      I'm seeing some very nicely printed work out there which has really
      pretty awful letterspacing.

      This is particularly true when using all caps (or small caps, which
      are, after all, still caps!)

      It's all about rhythm. Unless there's some specific intention behind
      making a staccato rhythm, it should be even and regular.

      Personally, I also spend a LOT of time doing things which would be
      next to impossible in metal, like kerning the period under the www in
      web addresses ;-)

      But I'm stuck with seeing it -- hundreds of times -- in the final
      printed pieces if I don't fix it in Illustrator, or InDesign or
      whatever before going to press (ie, to PDF>Film>Plate>Press)

      Highly recommended, but only if you use it to learn so you don't need
      it:
      Robert Bringhurst's Elements of Typgraphic Style

      http://www.typebooks.org/i-r_bringhurst.htm

      By 'don't need it' I mean, you learn to see the spaces instead of the
      letters.

      And THEN we can talk about the impression itself, inking, roller slur,
      etc.

      > The reason I ask questions on PPLetterpress is because there is no
      > one in Omaha that
      > knows these things, so I learn by trial

      No students of Harry Duncan's out that way?

      Is Neal Shaver still working in Council Bluffs?
      http://www.unomaha.edu/~nbac/ybphome.html

      I know Bonnie O'Connell was UNebraska-Omaha for a long time, but seem
      to recall she was heading back towards the lakes last time I heard
      from her.

      Also http://www.collegeletterpress.org/members.html#nebraska
      Not sure how current this info is, but I know there are folks out
      there ;-)

      Peter Fraterdeus
      http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
      http://dubuquebookarts.com