Framing broadsides [was Letterpress printing on Epson papers]

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 13, 2008
      Thanks so much, Michelle, for the kind offer to send me some sample
      paper. I will take you up on it if I can't get a comprehensive sample
      pack from an Epson reseller.

      I, too, have done some home tests of inkjet prints, and the results
      have been sobering. Thanks for the reference to wilhelm-research.com.
      That is an excellent site. I was especially interested to see that
      using UV glass greatly lengthens color life, since I have always
      sprung for UV glass when I've framed my watercolors.

      This brings me to another discussion topic. How do printers frame
      their broadsides? I suppose the prints would be mounted to the mat as
      watercolors are, with the print hinged only at the top to allow for
      expansion and contraction of the paper as ambient humidity changes.
      And I suppose that using the UV glass is the best way to keep the ink
      colors from fading. But letterpress-printed broadsides can have such
      breathtaking texture that putting them under glass would seem to spoil
      the effect. I would think that they could be floated with no glass,
      but then there's the fading and dust problems, and the question of how
      to affix the broadside to the backing. Any thoughts?

      Barbara
      ________________________

      > Hi Barbara,
      > I can send you some papers that I have around. If you want to email
      me directly,
      > autumnmichellefoote@... and I can sen you some samples. I know for
      sure I have
      > Epson watercolor but other than that I will have to take a look.
      Also, an experiment a
      > friend of mine did (back in college) to check the archival
      properties of paper and inks, was
      http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ they test