Letterpress printing on Epson papers

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
      I have a project in mind that involves combining inkjet and letterpress
      printing. I am considering the following papers:

      Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper
      Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper
      Epson Watercolor Radiant White

      Has anyone had experience with any of these papers for letterpress
      printing?

      Thanks,
      Barbara
    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
        Barbara--
        I haven't printed on the Epson papers, but have had excellent results with
        many of the coated sheets they carry at Atlantic Papers,
        http://www.atlanticpapers.com/

        Pavel, the owner, is quite helpful with technical questions, even about
        combining various printing techniques. He can cut paper to whatever size you
        need, plus they can duplex most of their sheets. No minimum quantity baloney
        either.

        --Jessica

        Jessica Spring
        SPRINGTIDE PRESS
        http://www.springtidepress.com
        253.627.8629

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
          Barbara

          I haven't had experience printing these papers but I've heard there are
          some problems running previously letterpress printed sheets through an
          ink jet. Something about ink degradation? Not certain about this.

          I've found that papers formulated for BOTH ink jet and laser printing
          perform fairly well for letterpress. Mohawk's 50/10 is somewhat
          astounding in this regard.

          In any case, it seems likely that you would want to run the letterpress
          printing as the last.

          Barbara Hauser wrote:
          > I have a project in mind that involves combining inkjet and letterpress
          > printing. I am considering the following papers:
          >
          > Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper
          > Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper
          > Epson Watercolor Radiant White
          >
          > Has anyone had experience with any of these papers for letterpress
          > printing?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Barbara

        • Autumn Michelle Foote
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
            HI Barbara-
            I have not tried combining inkjet and letterpress.
            But, my background is photography and digital
            printing. I would recommend considering the somerset,
            epson has put a coating on the traditional somerset
            paper. Also, in my experience I have not had much
            luck with the watercolor paper. Moab makes some
            really nice matte finish papers, oh, and Arches but it
            has a plastic type backing. Best of luck.
            Michelle
            --- Barbara Hauser <BarbHauser@...> wrote:

            > I have a project in mind that involves combining
            > inkjet and letterpress
            > printing. I am considering the following papers:
            >
            > Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper
            > Epson UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper
            > Epson Watercolor Radiant White
            >
            > Has anyone had experience with any of these papers
            > for letterpress
            > printing?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Barbara

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
              On 7 Jan 2008, at 10:19 PM, Jessica Spring wrote:

              > Barbara--
              > I haven't printed on the Epson papers, but have had excellent
              > results with
              > many of the coated sheets they carry at Atlantic Papers,
              > http://www.atlanticpapers.com/
              >
              > Pavel, the owner, is quite helpful with technical questions, even
              > about
              > combining various printing techniques. He can cut paper to whatever
              > size you
              > need, plus they can duplex most of their sheets. No minimum quantity
              > baloney
              > either.
              >
              > --Jessica

              Indeed, any of the Hahnemuhle Digital Art papers will work very nicely.

              I recently did a small calling card project using this for a
              photographer friend here:

              http://www.exquisiteletterpress.com/samples/P1020927mbeck.JPG/image_view_fullscreen

              Atlantic is a great resource indeed!

              Peter Fraterdeus
              http://ExquisiteLetterpress.com
              http://dubuquebookarts.com
            • Graham and Kathy
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
                Oh, how very nice! Wind blown sand and cool type. Looks like Perpetua, but
                not quite right, so what's the face?

                Graham Moss
                Incline Press
                36 Bow Street
                Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                http://www.inclinepress.com

              • typetom@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 7, 2008
                  In a message dated 1/7/2008, Bieler@... writes:

                  ...problems running previously letterpress printed sheets through an
                  ink jet. Something about ink degradation? Not certain about this.

                  A concern with using ink jet printing is that the normal inks are water
                  soluble.

                  I don't think there is a problem using ink jet after printing with
                  letterpress or offset inks, but there is a real problem with using a laser printer :
                  the heat of the laser printing process will melt rubber-based inks, and even
                  oil-based inks unless they are completely dried. The result is that the
                  letterpress ink then ghosts on the laser printer drum and on the paper. Van Son
                  added driers to its soy-based inks, labeled them Mega Laser inks, offering them
                  as an answer for printing letterhead stationery that might get put through a
                  laser printer. Not a problem for printed stationery that is later run through
                  an ink jet.

                  Tom Parson
                  Now It's Up To You Publications
                  157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
                  (303) 777-8951 home
                  (720) 480-5358 cell phone

                • Julie Larson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Although I have not tried to print letterpress on the Epson Watercolor stock, I have printed several hundred sheets of it through my Epson. It is thin for watercolor paper. The printing side is white and the non-printing side is more a "natural", yellower hue. If you are going to fold the stock, I do not recommend it as it is brittle and will crack. I have the impression that Epson rolls the texture into the pre-coated sheet.

                    I have not used the other Epson papers you ask about.

                    I have a Photo 2000P which uses the pigmented ink and lets me print on a wide variety of stock. I have done several projects using regular Arches watercolor paper. The ink jet image is not as crisp, but is fine for certain artistic effects.

                    If you would like a sample of the Epson watercolor stock, email me your address offline and I'll send you a sheet.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 8, 2008
                      In the US there is a high-end archival paper from Crane called Museo
                      Max suitable for printing high end archival inkjets if you're using
                      permanent inks. For double-sided printing you might try Museo Max II
                      which is made specifically to print doublesided. Beautiful stuff...
                      and costly.

                      Paul
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 8, 2008
                        Hi Graham!
                        Thanks so much for the compliment!

                        Indeed, it's "Perpetua" ala OS X, through the photopolymer sieve.
                        I think my plate was a wee bit over exposed. However, my friend is (sadly for a photographer) suffering from glaucoma (though it's under control) and I think she actually prefers the look!

                        I hope that Eric Gill will not mind too much
                        :-)

                        Of course, what I'm not sure of is whether I misread the original post.
                        Most of the responses seem to be regarding printing stationery which will eventually be fed through a digital printer...

                        All the best

                        Peter

                        At 7:12 AM +0000 8 01 08, Graham and Kathy wrote:
                        >Oh, how very nice! Wind blown sand and cool type. Looks like Perpetua, but
                        >not quite right, so what's the face?
                        >
                        >Graham Moss
                        >Incline Press
                        >36 Bow Street
                        >Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                        >http://www.inclinepress.com
                        >

                        >On 8/1/08 06:11, "Peter Fraterdeus" <peterf@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> I recently did a small calling card project using this for a
                        >> photographer friend here:
                        >>
                        >> http://www.exquisiteletterpress.com/samples/P1020927mbeck.JPG/image_view_fulls
                        >> creen
                        >>

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                        http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
                        http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
                      • David Goodrich
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 8, 2008
                          Barbara,
                          The answer to your question may depend on what you are trying to do.
                          If you are trying to print a real photograph via ink-jet plus letterpress
                          text on the same page I think you are going to have problems. I have done
                          Christmas cards using ink-jet prints and letterpress texts several times,
                          but I have always printed them on separate suitable papers and tipped (fancy
                          word for pasted) the pictures onto the cards. I have difficulty imagining a
                          paper that would make good photographs and also look good for letterpress
                          text. This why in old books the half tones were always on separate pages of
                          coated stock.
                          On the other hand if you are using the ink-jet to produce a background
                          pattern of some kind and then overprinting by letterpress (which sounds like
                          a fantastic idea!) I would think almost any printing paper could work.
                          Just adjust the settings in your printer program for non-photographic paper.
                          And experiment, experiment, experiment.
                          Let us know what you come up with.
                          David

                        • Barbara Hauser
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 9, 2008
                            Hello David and everyone,

                            Thanks so much for the advice so far. The research one must do just
                            to choose paper is one of the many hidden costs in these projects.
                            Luckily I enjoy it.

                            David, my project is a broadside that includes a watercolor painting
                            with letterpress-printed text added, though not superimposed onto the
                            painting. I had the painting scanned professionally at ArtScans in
                            Culver City, CA.

                            I've had very good results with letterpress printing on Moab Entrada
                            Rag Bright 300, so that's why I'm hopeful that printing onto photo
                            paper has possibilities. But the stability of the colors hasn't been
                            tested with the Epson inks, as it has for the Epson-recommended
                            papers. The reason I limited my original inquiry to the three papers
                            listed is that they, as well as one canvas finish paper, are the only
                            fine art papers that are engineered to provide optimum results with
                            the inks in my printer, which is an Epson R2400.

                            Since my first post on the subject, I have contacted Epson and
                            neither their representataive nor his supervisor could tell me
                            anything about how the papers might work with letterpress printing
                            using oil-based inks. Epson no longer sells sample packs, but the rep
                            did say that some of their resellers might. I'll call a few today.
                            The rep also referred me to two companies who he said made fine art
                            papers that work with the inks in my printer: Hammermill and Eastern
                            Data Paper. I left messages with both of them but they have not as
                            yet returned my calls.

                            I will look into all of the other papers that you all have so kindly
                            suggested. Thanks again for your comments, and thanks especially to
                            those who have generously offered to send me sample sheets. Peter F,
                            that business card is stunning.

                            Barbara

                            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "David Goodrich"
                            <davidgoodrich@...> wrote:

                            > Barbara,
                            > The answer to your question may depend on what you are trying to do.
                            > If you are trying to print a real photograph via ink-jet plus
                            letterpress
                            > text on the same page I think you are going to have problems. I
                            have done
                            > Christmas cards using ink-jet prints and letterpress texts several
                            times,
                            > but I have always printed them on separate suitable papers and
                            tipped (fancy
                            > word for pasted) the pictures onto the cards. I have difficulty
                            imagining a
                            > paper that would make good photographs and also look good for
                            letterpress
                            > text. This why in old books the half tones were always on separate
                            pages of
                            > coated stock.
                            > On the other hand if you are using the ink-jet to produce a
                            background
                            > pattern of some kind and then overprinting by letterpress (which
                            sounds like
                            > a fantastic idea!) I would think almost any printing paper could
                            work.
                            > Just adjust the settings in your printer program for non-
                            photographic paper.
                            > And experiment, experiment, experiment.
                            > Let us know what you come up with.
                            > David

                          • autumnmichellefoote
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
                              Hi Barbara,
                              I can send you some papers that I have around. If you want to email me directly,
                              autumnmichellefoote@... and I can sen you some samples. I know for sure I have
                              Epson watercolor but other than that I will have to take a look. Also, an experiment a
                              friend of mine did (back in college) to check the archival properties of paper and inks, was
                              to take a print and cut in half. Keep one half inside under good conditions, take the other
                              and tape it up in your car window. In the car you have the worst possible conditions, plus
                              it is constantly getting sunlight. After about a week you can check to see if there are any
                              changes. There is a a research website http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ they test
                              papers and ink, and are much more reliable than the actual manufactures. Great bit of
                              information for the ink jet printing geek! -me included
                              again best wishes with your project.
                              Michelle

                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Hauser" <BarbHauser@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > times,
                              > > but I have always printed them on separate suitable papers and
                              > tipped (fancy
                              > > word for pasted) the pictures onto the cards. I have difficulty
                              > imagining a
                              > > paper that would make good photographs and also look good for
                              > letterpress
                              > > text. This why in old books the half tones were always on separate
                              > pages of
                              > > coated stock.
                              > > On the other hand if you are using the ink-jet to produce a
                              > background
                              > > pattern of some kind and then overprinting by letterpress (which
                              > sounds like
                              > > a fantastic idea!) I would think almost any printing paper could
                              > work.
                              > > Just adjust the settings in your printer program for non-

                            • Barbara Hauser
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 13, 2008
                                Thanks so much, Michelle, for the kind offer to send me some sample
                                paper. I will take you up on it if I can't get a comprehensive sample
                                pack from an Epson reseller.

                                I, too, have done some home tests of inkjet prints, and the results
                                have been sobering. Thanks for the reference to wilhelm-research.com.
                                That is an excellent site. I was especially interested to see that
                                using UV glass greatly lengthens color life, since I have always
                                sprung for UV glass when I've framed my watercolors.

                                This brings me to another discussion topic. How do printers frame
                                their broadsides? I suppose the prints would be mounted to the mat as
                                watercolors are, with the print hinged only at the top to allow for
                                expansion and contraction of the paper as ambient humidity changes.
                                And I suppose that using the UV glass is the best way to keep the ink
                                colors from fading. But letterpress-printed broadsides can have such
                                breathtaking texture that putting them under glass would seem to spoil
                                the effect. I would think that they could be floated with no glass,
                                but then there's the fading and dust problems, and the question of how
                                to affix the broadside to the backing. Any thoughts?

                                Barbara