[PPLetterpress] Re: attaching treadle for Old Style C&P, 8 x 12

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
      Hi Autumn
      Just thought I'd weigh in here with a note on my own jury-rigged treadle solution, which is a two-foot length of 2x6, a big gate-hinge, a 3/8 in. turn-buckle and a fence-post clamp (which goes around where the treadle hook would, attached with a bolt to the top of the turn-buckle)

      My press (and Old Style 10x15) sits on a plywood palette, and the gate hinge is lag-bolted to the plywood and the 2x6. I have a 3/8in stainless steel hook fitted to the 2x6 plank below the drive-shaft, and the turn-buckle hooks onto that and reaches up to the shaft, where, as I mentioned, I have attached a fence-post clamp around the offset, held with a bolt to the other end of the turn-buckle.

      I will post photos when I get back to the press, but don't give up, there's plenty of options for a treadle.

      This setup is not going to last fifty-years, but it's easy to replace the parts, even if it does sound like the old gate swingin' in the wind when I'm printing ;-)

      Here's a very rough pencil sketch, until I can get photos...

      http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2170476586&size=o

      Please excuse the clumsy drawing, my architect dad would be very disappointed if he sees it ;-)
      The hole through the 2x6 will end up closer to the far end of the plank than I've shown here.

      Cheers!

      Peter

      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus