Re: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 266

  • Hrant H Papazian
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
      From: Katie Harper
      > I have to replace my Microtek scanner.

      Agfa all the way.

      hhp
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
        Thanks to those who recommended Agfa. Unfortunately, Afga is no longer in
        the consumer scanning biz. They only make drum/high end scanners now,
        according to their web site.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com

        > From: Hrant H Papazian <hrant@...>
        > Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:31:53 -0700
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 266
        >
        > From: Katie Harper
        >> I have to replace my Microtek scanner.
        >
        > Agfa all the way.
        >
        > hhp

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > ? Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > ? To unsubscribe:

      • Dan Franklin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
          Katie Harper's looking for a new scanner but:

          >Unfortunately, Afga is no longer in the consumer scanning biz. They
          >only make drum/high end scanners now, according to their web site.

          In the August 2002 issue of PC Magazine (pages 126-136), highly
          recommended are the HP ScanJet 5400c (2400 dpi, about $200) and the
          Canon CanoScan N1240U (1200 dpi, about $150).

          The HP ScanJet 7400c (about $500) is suggested in a sidebar. The
          Epson Perfection 2450 Photo (about $400) has a built-in transparency
          unit, a feature I think you had mentioned as desirable or essential.

          Perhaps the entire review, with comparison charts and sidebars, is on
          the PC Magazine website:

          http://www.pcmag.com/
        • Silver MayKitten
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
            I bought a HP ScanJet 7400c a little more than a year ago and I
            just love it for web-scans. But for going to print, I am sticking
            with my Scitex (Now Creo) EverSmart Supreme; it does the best
            colour I can produce on my Indigo presses, or going CTP on my
            Printware-M or to film for conventional platemaking on my Agfa
            Avantra 45.

            I use it for everything from t-shirts (I send screen printing out,)
            to large colour catalogs.

            http://www.creo.com/products/scanning/color_scanners/eversmart/index.asp

            MayKitten
            --- Dan Franklin <dan@...> wrote:
            > Katie Harper's looking for a new scanner but:
            >
            > >Unfortunately, Afga is no longer in the consumer scanning biz.
            > They
            > >only make drum/high end scanners now, according to their web
            > site.
            >
            > In the August 2002 issue of PC Magazine (pages 126-136), highly
            > recommended are the HP ScanJet 5400c (2400 dpi, about $200) and
            > the
            > Canon CanoScan N1240U (1200 dpi, about $150).
            >
            > The HP ScanJet 7400c (about $500) is suggested in a sidebar. The
            > Epson Perfection 2450 Photo (about $400) has a built-in
            > transparency
            > unit, a feature I think you had mentioned as desirable or
            > essential.
            >
            > Perhaps the entire review, with comparison charts and sidebars,
            > is on
            > the PC Magazine website:
            >
            > http://www.pcmag.com/

            =====
            Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

            From the book, Charge of the Goddess
            BY: Doreen Valiente

            http://finance.yahoo.com
          • Bryan Hutcheson
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13, 2002
              Scanners fall in three main categories 1. Desktop scanners for the recipe
              collector 2. Desktop Scanner for the Professional, 3. Drum Scanners for the
              high-end color and detail critical work.

              Of the three types there are quality scanners for each level of work.

              Agfa, Microtek, and HP provide good quality scanners for the amateur and
              professional alike

              In choosing a scanner there are a few things to keep in mind. But primarily
              of interest will be what your final use of a scan is going to be. Will it be
              for web? Will it be for color laser out put? will it be for scanning line
              art? will you be outputting to polymer? Will you be printing 4-color offset?
              If you are primarily planning on printing for letterpress, one of the
              midrange scanners provided by the above companies should be more than
              adequate.

              Some even come with the ability to scan slides or chromes. My rule for
              scanning any type of transparency is it should always be scanned from a
              high- end drum scanner if you are going for any serious kind of enlargement
              or color-specific quality. Abd if at all possible oil mounting is the method
              of choice. Scanning chromes or slides on a flatbed should only be done FPO.
              I am sure there are some who would argue with this... With about 9 years
              pre-press and scanning/color-correction/retouching experience I have always
              followed this rule...never use a flatbed for final scanning of any
              transparency. Period!

              With that in mind...I have a $300 Microtek sitting here next to me. With the
              correct amount of time and preparation I am able to pull of some very good
              quality scans from reflective artwork. The scans are as good as the $900
              Microtek and the $1400 Agfa.

              If you know Photoshop as a production tool (Curves, Gamma, under coating,
              highlight, mid and shadow input settings and of course sharpening) you
              should be able to get really good scans off of any good desktop scanner.
              Never go for any of the scanners in the FREE to 199 price range unless you
              really know Photoshop as a production tool, and have the ability to fix
              garbage once it¹s digital.