Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: attaching treadle for Old Style C&P, 8 x 12

  • rpolinski@nac.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
      Actually your post was really helpful. I'm doing mostly detective work
      with this so seeing your photos was very informative. The C&P serial
      number list does have the date of your press as 1905 or 1906 and that's
      when the letter prefix started showing up in the serial number. So that
      may be further evidence that this was a transition point for modifications
      to the press. Of course, the NS presses with their more dramatic changes
      came out in 1912 and intrestingly also started with a B prefix on the
      serial number.

      If someone has a C&P catalog or a printer's supply catalog from the 1890's
      that advertised the press it might tell us a lot.

      Rich

      > I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
      > my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
      > difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
      > thanks for the correction Rich.
      >
      > The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
      > around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
      > between those years.
      >
      > Kevin.

    • autumnmichellefoote
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
        HI Rich- thank you for all of the useful information. No the treadle does not fit with in the
        width of the collars, just within the width if the press. I think it is great to see everyone's
        photos and see the differences in the years. I am so disheartened at the whole process. I
        just want to print. I guess I am learning a lot with all the stuff in between. For a wile I
        thought I was a complete and total moron! But all my assumptions have been correct and
        Kevin I really appreciate your post because I was considering such a thing, but again
        cutting original parts seemed like a bad idea too. I think that it is time to go on back to
        the motor. Anyone want to by a treadle? ha ha ha

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hi Autumn
          Just thought I'd weigh in here with a note on my own jury-rigged treadle solution, which is a two-foot length of 2x6, a big gate-hinge, a 3/8 in. turn-buckle and a fence-post clamp (which goes around where the treadle hook would, attached with a bolt to the top of the turn-buckle)

          My press (and Old Style 10x15) sits on a plywood palette, and the gate hinge is lag-bolted to the plywood and the 2x6. I have a 3/8in stainless steel hook fitted to the 2x6 plank below the drive-shaft, and the turn-buckle hooks onto that and reaches up to the shaft, where, as I mentioned, I have attached a fence-post clamp around the offset, held with a bolt to the other end of the turn-buckle.

          I will post photos when I get back to the press, but don't give up, there's plenty of options for a treadle.

          This setup is not going to last fifty-years, but it's easy to replace the parts, even if it does sound like the old gate swingin' in the wind when I'm printing ;-)

          Here's a very rough pencil sketch, until I can get photos...

          http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2170476586&size=o

          Please excuse the clumsy drawing, my architect dad would be very disappointed if he sees it ;-)
          The hole through the 2x6 will end up closer to the far end of the plank than I've shown here.

          Cheers!

          Peter

          Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
          http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus