Re: attaching treadle for Old Style C&P, 8 x 12

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
      <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

      > Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to
      http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
      > if any wouldn't mind taking a look.

      Is that really a C&P? What size?
      I am not a treadler, but I thought that the treadle mounted to the
      shaft that the bed pivots on, which on a 8x12 (or larger) C&P is very
      low on the press, just a couple inches off the floor, max. That shaft
      is much higher on your press.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • autumnmichellefoote
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
        Eric- It is an 8 x 12 Old Style - according to the records I found she was made in 1892 -
        so she 126 years old! I think on the new style it does mount to the area where the bed
        pivots from. The place where my bed pivots from is actually about maybe 8 inches from
        the floor. If you look at the manual list http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/manuals/CP_PartsList.pdf it shows the new style
        one and you can see the differences. thanks for taking a look.
        A Foote
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
        > <autumnmichellefoote@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to
        > http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
        > > if any wouldn't mind taking a look.
        >
        > Is that really a C&P? What size?
        > I am not a treadler, but I thought that the treadle mounted to the
        > shaft that the bed pivots on, which on a 8x12 (or larger) C&P is very
        > low on the press, just a couple inches off the floor, max. That shaft
        > is much higher on your press.
        > --Eric Holub, SF

      • a8nt2b33
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
          Hello my name is Tim,I hope I can help.I have a 12x18 old style C&P and
          from your picture it look's like the same treadle.I do not think it
          will fit the 8x12.If I remember correctly I had to drive the shaft out
          with a piece of steel bar and sledge hammer.I do not think mine had
          thread's and nut's.I will double check and maybe try to snap some
          photo's.Do not start pounding until you are sure you even have the
          correct treadle and be careful not to mushroom the threads as you will
          never get the nut's back on unles you rethread the shafts.I hope this
          help's.
          Tim
        • rpolinski@nac.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
            I have to agree. It looks like the treadle is too large for an 8x12. Also,
            all of te 8x12 treadles I've seen do not have closed journals at the rear
            but half journals that cup the shaft like a U from underneath and the
            sides of the journal (the U) extend above the shaft where a bolt goes
            through to keep the treade on the shaft.

            The only way to attach this tredle is for a shaft to go through the closed
            journals on the back of the treadle. Check the measurement from the
            outside of the two journals on the treadle against the dimension between
            the inside sides of the press. It may be too wide to even fit between the
            sides. Also check the diameter of the holes in the journals against the
            shafts on the press to see if they're different.

            The shaft on the press where you have removed the nuts, unless I'm very
            mistaken, was milled down from a larger diameter shaft and the large
            inside collars are actually part of the shaft, not seperate pieces. Their
            purpose is to keep the two sides of the press at the correct distance
            apart. The only way to remove that shaft and the others like it is to take
            the two sides of the press apart. In other words, you cannot drive them
            out and any attempt to do so will break something.

            Rich

            --
            Richard Polinski
            Front Room Press

            > Hello my name is Tim,I hope I can help.I have a 12x18 old style C&P and
            > from your picture it look's like the same treadle.I do not think it
            > will fit the 8x12.If I remember correctly I had to drive the shaft out
            > with a piece of steel bar and sledge hammer.I do not think mine had
            > thread's and nut's.I will double check and maybe try to snap some
            > photo's.Do not start pounding until you are sure you even have the
            > correct treadle and be careful not to mushroom the threads as you will
            > never get the nut's back on unles you rethread the shafts.I hope this
            > help's.
            > Tim

          • autumnmichellefoote
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
              The treadle does fit within the width of the press, I too was a little worried at first but as
              you can all see I now have greater worries. The people who made the treadle did charge
              me for a treadle to fit an 8x12 but whose to say I got the right one. I think you just
              confirmed my fear of taking the press apart. So, much for the treadle!
              I thought attaching a treadle would be easy! HA!
              Oh, by the way Rich I did see your pictures for attaching the motor they were very nice,
              thank you for sharing!
              A Foote

            • rpolinski@nac.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                Yes, and even if you did take the press completely apart the collars on
                the shaft would prevent the treadle from going on. I've been looking at a
                number of photos and drawings and it seems clear that the treadle mounts
                to the lower shaft. Check the measurement on the treadle as before and
                then measure between the two collars on the shaft. If it doesn't fit in
                between the collars then that would pretty much confirm it is the wrong
                treadle. From the your photo it just looks too large proportionately to
                the size of the press.

                On the other hand, I zoomed the photo and see that it's from Hern Iron
                Works. I checked their website and they mention that for a C&P 8x12 OS a
                "hinge pin" is needed that they can supply if necessary. Next to your
                treadle is a shaft and I'm assuming this is the "hinge pin". I doubt this
                was originally needed on a C&P press, at least older ones. I know my press
                that was built in 1893 and does not have holes for this shaft in the frame
                and neither does yours. But later model 8x12 OS presses did have some
                small variations or "improvements" that C&P made as the years went by.
                Perhaps the addition of a treadle shaft was one of them and perhaps the
                treadle that Hern used as a pattern to make their's was one of these.

                If that's the case this may be the correct treadle. Slightly above that
                lower shaft on your press are two areas on the inside of the side frames
                that are thicker and round in shape. As a means of attaching the treadle
                it looks like it would be possible to bore a hole at this point on both
                side frames the same diameter as the "hinge pin" and so mount the treadle
                on that shaft. You would have to take care to make sure the holes in each
                frame were alligned with each other and that there was enough clearance
                between the journals on the treadle and the lower frame shaft once the
                treadle was mounted.

                Anyway, that's the way things look to me.

                Rich

              • Kevin
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                  I believe you've got the correct treadle, I think that shaft on your
                  press needs to be removed. I have an C&P 8x12 OS with a Hern treadle.
                  My press didn't have any sort of rod running through those lower
                  holes when I acquired it, the hinge pin fits perfectly in there and I
                  don't have any concerns about my press falling apart with nothing but
                  that hinge pin in there.

                  Is the threaded portion of that rod the same diameter as the hinge
                  pin? I'd say cut the rod out of there and slide in the hinge pin if
                  it is.

                  I posted some photos here:
                  http://jazyrain.com/Letpress/treadle/photos.html

                  Hope that helps. Kevin.
                • rpolinski@nac.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                    Kevin, what year was your press built? The later OS presses had a cast
                    iron brace that attached just above the bottom shaft in the back and went
                    up towards the front of the press and attached at a similar point at the
                    front of the two side frames. Your press has this as can be seen from the
                    photos you posted, bolted to either side just above where the treadle
                    shaft goes through. This might confirm the suspicion that her treadle is
                    the right size but made for models later than hers which was built in
                    1892. That additional frame would provide the support that would be
                    lacking in a press without it and with the lower shaft with the collars
                    removed. It would not surprise me to learn that earlier manufactured
                    presses had a different means of attaching the treadle to the collared
                    shaft. Hern obviously used an original treadle as a pattern but it may
                    have been one from a later model OS press.

                    If she removed the shaft with the collars and put just the pin in place it
                    would weaken the frame by allowing the two side frames to flex at that
                    lower end due to the play required to allow the treadle to oscilate on the
                    shaft. In other words, the two side frames at that point would not be
                    fixed rigidly together. Your press doesn't have that problem because that
                    additional cast iron frame provides the necessary stability to the frame
                    while allowing the treadle play on the shaft to prevent it from binding in
                    operation.

                    If it were me I wouldn't cut out any original parts.

                    Rich

                    > I believe you've got the correct treadle, I think that shaft on your
                    > press needs to be removed. I have an C&P 8x12 OS with a Hern treadle.
                    > My press didn't have any sort of rod running through those lower
                    > holes when I acquired it, the hinge pin fits perfectly in there and I
                    > don't have any concerns about my press falling apart with nothing but
                    > that hinge pin in there.
                    >
                    > Is the threaded portion of that rod the same diameter as the hinge
                    > pin? I'd say cut the rod out of there and slide in the hinge pin if
                    > it is.
                    >
                    > I posted some photos here:
                    > http://jazyrain.com/Letpress/treadle/photos.html
                    >
                    > Hope that helps. Kevin.

                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                      I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
                      my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
                      difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
                      thanks for the correction Rich.

                      The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
                      around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
                      between those years.

                      Kevin.
                    • rpolinski@nac.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                        Actually your post was really helpful. I'm doing mostly detective work
                        with this so seeing your photos was very informative. The C&P serial
                        number list does have the date of your press as 1905 or 1906 and that's
                        when the letter prefix started showing up in the serial number. So that
                        may be further evidence that this was a transition point for modifications
                        to the press. Of course, the NS presses with their more dramatic changes
                        came out in 1912 and intrestingly also started with a B prefix on the
                        serial number.

                        If someone has a C&P catalog or a printer's supply catalog from the 1890's
                        that advertised the press it might tell us a lot.

                        Rich

                        > I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
                        > my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
                        > difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
                        > thanks for the correction Rich.
                        >
                        > The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
                        > around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
                        > between those years.
                        >
                        > Kevin.

                      • autumnmichellefoote
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                          HI Rich- thank you for all of the useful information. No the treadle does not fit with in the
                          width of the collars, just within the width if the press. I think it is great to see everyone's
                          photos and see the differences in the years. I am so disheartened at the whole process. I
                          just want to print. I guess I am learning a lot with all the stuff in between. For a wile I
                          thought I was a complete and total moron! But all my assumptions have been correct and
                          Kevin I really appreciate your post because I was considering such a thing, but again
                          cutting original parts seemed like a bad idea too. I think that it is time to go on back to
                          the motor. Anyone want to by a treadle? ha ha ha

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                            Hi Autumn
                            Just thought I'd weigh in here with a note on my own jury-rigged treadle solution, which is a two-foot length of 2x6, a big gate-hinge, a 3/8 in. turn-buckle and a fence-post clamp (which goes around where the treadle hook would, attached with a bolt to the top of the turn-buckle)

                            My press (and Old Style 10x15) sits on a plywood palette, and the gate hinge is lag-bolted to the plywood and the 2x6. I have a 3/8in stainless steel hook fitted to the 2x6 plank below the drive-shaft, and the turn-buckle hooks onto that and reaches up to the shaft, where, as I mentioned, I have attached a fence-post clamp around the offset, held with a bolt to the other end of the turn-buckle.

                            I will post photos when I get back to the press, but don't give up, there's plenty of options for a treadle.

                            This setup is not going to last fifty-years, but it's easy to replace the parts, even if it does sound like the old gate swingin' in the wind when I'm printing ;-)

                            Here's a very rough pencil sketch, until I can get photos...

                            http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2170476586&size=o

                            Please excuse the clumsy drawing, my architect dad would be very disappointed if he sees it ;-)
                            The hole through the 2x6 will end up closer to the far end of the plank than I've shown here.

                            Cheers!

                            Peter

                            Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                            http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus