Re: [PPLetterpress] attaching treadle for Old Style C&P, 8 x 1

  • mike day
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
      Autumn,

      This has been discussed on Briar press and or Letpress list. I posted a
      couple of photos as did a couple of other readers. The Old Style and New
      Style treadle install differently. I have an old style and many photos in
      the assembled and disassembled state. I will send one this PM when I get
      home.

      Mike

      --
      Mike Day
      Long Day Press

    • autumnmichellefoote
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
        Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
        if any wouldn't mind taking a look. I have unscrewed the nuts from the bar I believe to be
        the attachment point. I can't seem to remove the bar. It seems to be one solid piece to serve
        the purpose of keeping the press together. I could be totally wrong. The only thing that I
        can think of is that on the interior of the (what I believe to be the) bed shaft are larger pieces
        that cold possibly unscrew. I can not tell if they are all of the same solid piece. I appreciate
        all of your comments and thoughts, again they are very helpful! Thanks!
      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
          <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

          > Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to
          http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
          > if any wouldn't mind taking a look.

          Is that really a C&P? What size?
          I am not a treadler, but I thought that the treadle mounted to the
          shaft that the bed pivots on, which on a 8x12 (or larger) C&P is very
          low on the press, just a couple inches off the floor, max. That shaft
          is much higher on your press.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • autumnmichellefoote
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
            Eric- It is an 8 x 12 Old Style - according to the records I found she was made in 1892 -
            so she 126 years old! I think on the new style it does mount to the area where the bed
            pivots from. The place where my bed pivots from is actually about maybe 8 inches from
            the floor. If you look at the manual list http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/manuals/CP_PartsList.pdf it shows the new style
            one and you can see the differences. thanks for taking a look.
            A Foote
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
            > <autumnmichellefoote@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to
            > http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
            > > if any wouldn't mind taking a look.
            >
            > Is that really a C&P? What size?
            > I am not a treadler, but I thought that the treadle mounted to the
            > shaft that the bed pivots on, which on a 8x12 (or larger) C&P is very
            > low on the press, just a couple inches off the floor, max. That shaft
            > is much higher on your press.
            > --Eric Holub, SF

          • a8nt2b33
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
              Hello my name is Tim,I hope I can help.I have a 12x18 old style C&P and
              from your picture it look's like the same treadle.I do not think it
              will fit the 8x12.If I remember correctly I had to drive the shaft out
              with a piece of steel bar and sledge hammer.I do not think mine had
              thread's and nut's.I will double check and maybe try to snap some
              photo's.Do not start pounding until you are sure you even have the
              correct treadle and be careful not to mushroom the threads as you will
              never get the nut's back on unles you rethread the shafts.I hope this
              help's.
              Tim
            • rpolinski@nac.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                I have to agree. It looks like the treadle is too large for an 8x12. Also,
                all of te 8x12 treadles I've seen do not have closed journals at the rear
                but half journals that cup the shaft like a U from underneath and the
                sides of the journal (the U) extend above the shaft where a bolt goes
                through to keep the treade on the shaft.

                The only way to attach this tredle is for a shaft to go through the closed
                journals on the back of the treadle. Check the measurement from the
                outside of the two journals on the treadle against the dimension between
                the inside sides of the press. It may be too wide to even fit between the
                sides. Also check the diameter of the holes in the journals against the
                shafts on the press to see if they're different.

                The shaft on the press where you have removed the nuts, unless I'm very
                mistaken, was milled down from a larger diameter shaft and the large
                inside collars are actually part of the shaft, not seperate pieces. Their
                purpose is to keep the two sides of the press at the correct distance
                apart. The only way to remove that shaft and the others like it is to take
                the two sides of the press apart. In other words, you cannot drive them
                out and any attempt to do so will break something.

                Rich

                --
                Richard Polinski
                Front Room Press

                > Hello my name is Tim,I hope I can help.I have a 12x18 old style C&P and
                > from your picture it look's like the same treadle.I do not think it
                > will fit the 8x12.If I remember correctly I had to drive the shaft out
                > with a piece of steel bar and sledge hammer.I do not think mine had
                > thread's and nut's.I will double check and maybe try to snap some
                > photo's.Do not start pounding until you are sure you even have the
                > correct treadle and be careful not to mushroom the threads as you will
                > never get the nut's back on unles you rethread the shafts.I hope this
                > help's.
                > Tim

              • autumnmichellefoote
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                  The treadle does fit within the width of the press, I too was a little worried at first but as
                  you can all see I now have greater worries. The people who made the treadle did charge
                  me for a treadle to fit an 8x12 but whose to say I got the right one. I think you just
                  confirmed my fear of taking the press apart. So, much for the treadle!
                  I thought attaching a treadle would be easy! HA!
                  Oh, by the way Rich I did see your pictures for attaching the motor they were very nice,
                  thank you for sharing!
                  A Foote

                • rpolinski@nac.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Yes, and even if you did take the press completely apart the collars on
                    the shaft would prevent the treadle from going on. I've been looking at a
                    number of photos and drawings and it seems clear that the treadle mounts
                    to the lower shaft. Check the measurement on the treadle as before and
                    then measure between the two collars on the shaft. If it doesn't fit in
                    between the collars then that would pretty much confirm it is the wrong
                    treadle. From the your photo it just looks too large proportionately to
                    the size of the press.

                    On the other hand, I zoomed the photo and see that it's from Hern Iron
                    Works. I checked their website and they mention that for a C&P 8x12 OS a
                    "hinge pin" is needed that they can supply if necessary. Next to your
                    treadle is a shaft and I'm assuming this is the "hinge pin". I doubt this
                    was originally needed on a C&P press, at least older ones. I know my press
                    that was built in 1893 and does not have holes for this shaft in the frame
                    and neither does yours. But later model 8x12 OS presses did have some
                    small variations or "improvements" that C&P made as the years went by.
                    Perhaps the addition of a treadle shaft was one of them and perhaps the
                    treadle that Hern used as a pattern to make their's was one of these.

                    If that's the case this may be the correct treadle. Slightly above that
                    lower shaft on your press are two areas on the inside of the side frames
                    that are thicker and round in shape. As a means of attaching the treadle
                    it looks like it would be possible to bore a hole at this point on both
                    side frames the same diameter as the "hinge pin" and so mount the treadle
                    on that shaft. You would have to take care to make sure the holes in each
                    frame were alligned with each other and that there was enough clearance
                    between the journals on the treadle and the lower frame shaft once the
                    treadle was mounted.

                    Anyway, that's the way things look to me.

                    Rich

                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                      I believe you've got the correct treadle, I think that shaft on your
                      press needs to be removed. I have an C&P 8x12 OS with a Hern treadle.
                      My press didn't have any sort of rod running through those lower
                      holes when I acquired it, the hinge pin fits perfectly in there and I
                      don't have any concerns about my press falling apart with nothing but
                      that hinge pin in there.

                      Is the threaded portion of that rod the same diameter as the hinge
                      pin? I'd say cut the rod out of there and slide in the hinge pin if
                      it is.

                      I posted some photos here:
                      http://jazyrain.com/Letpress/treadle/photos.html

                      Hope that helps. Kevin.
                    • rpolinski@nac.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                        Kevin, what year was your press built? The later OS presses had a cast
                        iron brace that attached just above the bottom shaft in the back and went
                        up towards the front of the press and attached at a similar point at the
                        front of the two side frames. Your press has this as can be seen from the
                        photos you posted, bolted to either side just above where the treadle
                        shaft goes through. This might confirm the suspicion that her treadle is
                        the right size but made for models later than hers which was built in
                        1892. That additional frame would provide the support that would be
                        lacking in a press without it and with the lower shaft with the collars
                        removed. It would not surprise me to learn that earlier manufactured
                        presses had a different means of attaching the treadle to the collared
                        shaft. Hern obviously used an original treadle as a pattern but it may
                        have been one from a later model OS press.

                        If she removed the shaft with the collars and put just the pin in place it
                        would weaken the frame by allowing the two side frames to flex at that
                        lower end due to the play required to allow the treadle to oscilate on the
                        shaft. In other words, the two side frames at that point would not be
                        fixed rigidly together. Your press doesn't have that problem because that
                        additional cast iron frame provides the necessary stability to the frame
                        while allowing the treadle play on the shaft to prevent it from binding in
                        operation.

                        If it were me I wouldn't cut out any original parts.

                        Rich

                        > I believe you've got the correct treadle, I think that shaft on your
                        > press needs to be removed. I have an C&P 8x12 OS with a Hern treadle.
                        > My press didn't have any sort of rod running through those lower
                        > holes when I acquired it, the hinge pin fits perfectly in there and I
                        > don't have any concerns about my press falling apart with nothing but
                        > that hinge pin in there.
                        >
                        > Is the threaded portion of that rod the same diameter as the hinge
                        > pin? I'd say cut the rod out of there and slide in the hinge pin if
                        > it is.
                        >
                        > I posted some photos here:
                        > http://jazyrain.com/Letpress/treadle/photos.html
                        >
                        > Hope that helps. Kevin.

                      • Kevin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                          I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
                          my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
                          difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
                          thanks for the correction Rich.

                          The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
                          around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
                          between those years.

                          Kevin.
                        • rpolinski@nac.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                            Actually your post was really helpful. I'm doing mostly detective work
                            with this so seeing your photos was very informative. The C&P serial
                            number list does have the date of your press as 1905 or 1906 and that's
                            when the letter prefix started showing up in the serial number. So that
                            may be further evidence that this was a transition point for modifications
                            to the press. Of course, the NS presses with their more dramatic changes
                            came out in 1912 and intrestingly also started with a B prefix on the
                            serial number.

                            If someone has a C&P catalog or a printer's supply catalog from the 1890's
                            that advertised the press it might tell us a lot.

                            Rich

                            > I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
                            > my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
                            > difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
                            > thanks for the correction Rich.
                            >
                            > The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
                            > around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
                            > between those years.
                            >
                            > Kevin.

                          • autumnmichellefoote
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                              HI Rich- thank you for all of the useful information. No the treadle does not fit with in the
                              width of the collars, just within the width if the press. I think it is great to see everyone's
                              photos and see the differences in the years. I am so disheartened at the whole process. I
                              just want to print. I guess I am learning a lot with all the stuff in between. For a wile I
                              thought I was a complete and total moron! But all my assumptions have been correct and
                              Kevin I really appreciate your post because I was considering such a thing, but again
                              cutting original parts seemed like a bad idea too. I think that it is time to go on back to
                              the motor. Anyone want to by a treadle? ha ha ha

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                                Hi Autumn
                                Just thought I'd weigh in here with a note on my own jury-rigged treadle solution, which is a two-foot length of 2x6, a big gate-hinge, a 3/8 in. turn-buckle and a fence-post clamp (which goes around where the treadle hook would, attached with a bolt to the top of the turn-buckle)

                                My press (and Old Style 10x15) sits on a plywood palette, and the gate hinge is lag-bolted to the plywood and the 2x6. I have a 3/8in stainless steel hook fitted to the 2x6 plank below the drive-shaft, and the turn-buckle hooks onto that and reaches up to the shaft, where, as I mentioned, I have attached a fence-post clamp around the offset, held with a bolt to the other end of the turn-buckle.

                                I will post photos when I get back to the press, but don't give up, there's plenty of options for a treadle.

                                This setup is not going to last fifty-years, but it's easy to replace the parts, even if it does sound like the old gate swingin' in the wind when I'm printing ;-)

                                Here's a very rough pencil sketch, until I can get photos...

                                http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2170476586&size=o

                                Please excuse the clumsy drawing, my architect dad would be very disappointed if he sees it ;-)
                                The hole through the 2x6 will end up closer to the far end of the plank than I've shown here.

                                Cheers!

                                Peter

                                Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                                http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus