attaching treadle for Old Style C&P, 8 x 12

  • autumnmichellefoote
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
      Anyone, Please help! I bought a new treadle for my old style C&P. I can not figure out how
      to put this thing on. The man I bought it for said it was a simple thing. Simple, yeah right!
      The only thing I can figure is that I have to take the entire press apart. If you have any photos
      showing the treadle attached please send them to me.
      Thanks! You are all so very helpful.
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
        At first I didn't think I could help because my treadle is
        disconnected at the hook as I am using the motor, but then after
        searching and cannot find any good pictures of where the hook
        connects, I snapped some here.

        I hope this helps. I numbered each end of the disconnected hook 1 &
        2, then show the parts of the press where 1 & 2 go. There is one
        picture showing the back end of the treadle. Since it's hooked up at
        that end, this will hopefully be a good illustration.

        Yeah, I know my press isn't clean right now.

        --Scott Rubel

        On Jan 3, 2008, at 4:06 PM, autumnmichellefoote wrote:

        > Anyone, Please help! I bought a new treadle for my old style C&P.
        > I can not figure out how
        > to put this thing on. The man I bought it for said it was a simple
        > thing. Simple, yeah right!
        > The only thing I can figure is that I have to take the entire press
        > apart. If you have any photos
        > showing the treadle attached please send them to me.
        > Thanks! You are all so very helpful.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
          A google image search comes up with these.

          http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ax26.htm

          If you click on the links on that page it gives you some views, none
          of them great, but it may give you the idea.

          Boy, it sure is hard to find a good picture, though there are other
          help pages that may help with questions and answers.

          http://www.briarpress.org/4662

          --Scott

          On Jan 3, 2008, at 4:06 PM, autumnmichellefoote wrote:

          > Anyone, Please help! I bought a new treadle for my old style C&P.
          > I can not figure out how
          > to put this thing on. The man I bought it for said it was a simple
          > thing. Simple, yeah right!
          > The only thing I can figure is that I have to take the entire press
          > apart. If you have any photos
          > showing the treadle attached please send them to me.
          > Thanks! You are all so very helpful.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mike day
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
            Autumn,

            This has been discussed on Briar press and or Letpress list. I posted a
            couple of photos as did a couple of other readers. The Old Style and New
            Style treadle install differently. I have an old style and many photos in
            the assembled and disassembled state. I will send one this PM when I get
            home.

            Mike

            --
            Mike Day
            Long Day Press

          • autumnmichellefoote
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
              Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
              if any wouldn't mind taking a look. I have unscrewed the nuts from the bar I believe to be
              the attachment point. I can't seem to remove the bar. It seems to be one solid piece to serve
              the purpose of keeping the press together. I could be totally wrong. The only thing that I
              can think of is that on the interior of the (what I believe to be the) bed shaft are larger pieces
              that cold possibly unscrew. I can not tell if they are all of the same solid piece. I appreciate
              all of your comments and thoughts, again they are very helpful! Thanks!
            • parallel_imp
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
                <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

                > Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to
                http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
                > if any wouldn't mind taking a look.

                Is that really a C&P? What size?
                I am not a treadler, but I thought that the treadle mounted to the
                shaft that the bed pivots on, which on a 8x12 (or larger) C&P is very
                low on the press, just a couple inches off the floor, max. That shaft
                is much higher on your press.
                --Eric Holub, SF
              • autumnmichellefoote
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                  Eric- It is an 8 x 12 Old Style - according to the records I found she was made in 1892 -
                  so she 126 years old! I think on the new style it does mount to the area where the bed
                  pivots from. The place where my bed pivots from is actually about maybe 8 inches from
                  the floor. If you look at the manual list http://www.boxcarpress.com/flywheel/manuals/CP_PartsList.pdf it shows the new style
                  one and you can see the differences. thanks for taking a look.
                  A Foote
                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
                  > <autumnmichellefoote@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Again! So I have loaded my photos to
                  > http://homepage.mac.com/autumnmichellefoote/PhotoAlbum13.html
                  > > if any wouldn't mind taking a look.
                  >
                  > Is that really a C&P? What size?
                  > I am not a treadler, but I thought that the treadle mounted to the
                  > shaft that the bed pivots on, which on a 8x12 (or larger) C&P is very
                  > low on the press, just a couple inches off the floor, max. That shaft
                  > is much higher on your press.
                  > --Eric Holub, SF

                • a8nt2b33
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Hello my name is Tim,I hope I can help.I have a 12x18 old style C&P and
                    from your picture it look's like the same treadle.I do not think it
                    will fit the 8x12.If I remember correctly I had to drive the shaft out
                    with a piece of steel bar and sledge hammer.I do not think mine had
                    thread's and nut's.I will double check and maybe try to snap some
                    photo's.Do not start pounding until you are sure you even have the
                    correct treadle and be careful not to mushroom the threads as you will
                    never get the nut's back on unles you rethread the shafts.I hope this
                    help's.
                    Tim
                  • rpolinski@nac.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                      I have to agree. It looks like the treadle is too large for an 8x12. Also,
                      all of te 8x12 treadles I've seen do not have closed journals at the rear
                      but half journals that cup the shaft like a U from underneath and the
                      sides of the journal (the U) extend above the shaft where a bolt goes
                      through to keep the treade on the shaft.

                      The only way to attach this tredle is for a shaft to go through the closed
                      journals on the back of the treadle. Check the measurement from the
                      outside of the two journals on the treadle against the dimension between
                      the inside sides of the press. It may be too wide to even fit between the
                      sides. Also check the diameter of the holes in the journals against the
                      shafts on the press to see if they're different.

                      The shaft on the press where you have removed the nuts, unless I'm very
                      mistaken, was milled down from a larger diameter shaft and the large
                      inside collars are actually part of the shaft, not seperate pieces. Their
                      purpose is to keep the two sides of the press at the correct distance
                      apart. The only way to remove that shaft and the others like it is to take
                      the two sides of the press apart. In other words, you cannot drive them
                      out and any attempt to do so will break something.

                      Rich

                      --
                      Richard Polinski
                      Front Room Press

                      > Hello my name is Tim,I hope I can help.I have a 12x18 old style C&P and
                      > from your picture it look's like the same treadle.I do not think it
                      > will fit the 8x12.If I remember correctly I had to drive the shaft out
                      > with a piece of steel bar and sledge hammer.I do not think mine had
                      > thread's and nut's.I will double check and maybe try to snap some
                      > photo's.Do not start pounding until you are sure you even have the
                      > correct treadle and be careful not to mushroom the threads as you will
                      > never get the nut's back on unles you rethread the shafts.I hope this
                      > help's.
                      > Tim

                    • autumnmichellefoote
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                        The treadle does fit within the width of the press, I too was a little worried at first but as
                        you can all see I now have greater worries. The people who made the treadle did charge
                        me for a treadle to fit an 8x12 but whose to say I got the right one. I think you just
                        confirmed my fear of taking the press apart. So, much for the treadle!
                        I thought attaching a treadle would be easy! HA!
                        Oh, by the way Rich I did see your pictures for attaching the motor they were very nice,
                        thank you for sharing!
                        A Foote

                      • rpolinski@nac.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                          Yes, and even if you did take the press completely apart the collars on
                          the shaft would prevent the treadle from going on. I've been looking at a
                          number of photos and drawings and it seems clear that the treadle mounts
                          to the lower shaft. Check the measurement on the treadle as before and
                          then measure between the two collars on the shaft. If it doesn't fit in
                          between the collars then that would pretty much confirm it is the wrong
                          treadle. From the your photo it just looks too large proportionately to
                          the size of the press.

                          On the other hand, I zoomed the photo and see that it's from Hern Iron
                          Works. I checked their website and they mention that for a C&P 8x12 OS a
                          "hinge pin" is needed that they can supply if necessary. Next to your
                          treadle is a shaft and I'm assuming this is the "hinge pin". I doubt this
                          was originally needed on a C&P press, at least older ones. I know my press
                          that was built in 1893 and does not have holes for this shaft in the frame
                          and neither does yours. But later model 8x12 OS presses did have some
                          small variations or "improvements" that C&P made as the years went by.
                          Perhaps the addition of a treadle shaft was one of them and perhaps the
                          treadle that Hern used as a pattern to make their's was one of these.

                          If that's the case this may be the correct treadle. Slightly above that
                          lower shaft on your press are two areas on the inside of the side frames
                          that are thicker and round in shape. As a means of attaching the treadle
                          it looks like it would be possible to bore a hole at this point on both
                          side frames the same diameter as the "hinge pin" and so mount the treadle
                          on that shaft. You would have to take care to make sure the holes in each
                          frame were alligned with each other and that there was enough clearance
                          between the journals on the treadle and the lower frame shaft once the
                          treadle was mounted.

                          Anyway, that's the way things look to me.

                          Rich

                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                            I believe you've got the correct treadle, I think that shaft on your
                            press needs to be removed. I have an C&P 8x12 OS with a Hern treadle.
                            My press didn't have any sort of rod running through those lower
                            holes when I acquired it, the hinge pin fits perfectly in there and I
                            don't have any concerns about my press falling apart with nothing but
                            that hinge pin in there.

                            Is the threaded portion of that rod the same diameter as the hinge
                            pin? I'd say cut the rod out of there and slide in the hinge pin if
                            it is.

                            I posted some photos here:
                            http://jazyrain.com/Letpress/treadle/photos.html

                            Hope that helps. Kevin.
                          • rpolinski@nac.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                              Kevin, what year was your press built? The later OS presses had a cast
                              iron brace that attached just above the bottom shaft in the back and went
                              up towards the front of the press and attached at a similar point at the
                              front of the two side frames. Your press has this as can be seen from the
                              photos you posted, bolted to either side just above where the treadle
                              shaft goes through. This might confirm the suspicion that her treadle is
                              the right size but made for models later than hers which was built in
                              1892. That additional frame would provide the support that would be
                              lacking in a press without it and with the lower shaft with the collars
                              removed. It would not surprise me to learn that earlier manufactured
                              presses had a different means of attaching the treadle to the collared
                              shaft. Hern obviously used an original treadle as a pattern but it may
                              have been one from a later model OS press.

                              If she removed the shaft with the collars and put just the pin in place it
                              would weaken the frame by allowing the two side frames to flex at that
                              lower end due to the play required to allow the treadle to oscilate on the
                              shaft. In other words, the two side frames at that point would not be
                              fixed rigidly together. Your press doesn't have that problem because that
                              additional cast iron frame provides the necessary stability to the frame
                              while allowing the treadle play on the shaft to prevent it from binding in
                              operation.

                              If it were me I wouldn't cut out any original parts.

                              Rich

                              > I believe you've got the correct treadle, I think that shaft on your
                              > press needs to be removed. I have an C&P 8x12 OS with a Hern treadle.
                              > My press didn't have any sort of rod running through those lower
                              > holes when I acquired it, the hinge pin fits perfectly in there and I
                              > don't have any concerns about my press falling apart with nothing but
                              > that hinge pin in there.
                              >
                              > Is the threaded portion of that rod the same diameter as the hinge
                              > pin? I'd say cut the rod out of there and slide in the hinge pin if
                              > it is.
                              >
                              > I posted some photos here:
                              > http://jazyrain.com/Letpress/treadle/photos.html
                              >
                              > Hope that helps. Kevin.

                            • Kevin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                                I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
                                my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
                                difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
                                thanks for the correction Rich.

                                The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
                                around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
                                between those years.

                                Kevin.
                              • rpolinski@nac.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                                  Actually your post was really helpful. I'm doing mostly detective work
                                  with this so seeing your photos was very informative. The C&P serial
                                  number list does have the date of your press as 1905 or 1906 and that's
                                  when the letter prefix started showing up in the serial number. So that
                                  may be further evidence that this was a transition point for modifications
                                  to the press. Of course, the NS presses with their more dramatic changes
                                  came out in 1912 and intrestingly also started with a B prefix on the
                                  serial number.

                                  If someone has a C&P catalog or a printer's supply catalog from the 1890's
                                  that advertised the press it might tell us a lot.

                                  Rich

                                  > I better lay off the late night posting. I assumed that the shaft on
                                  > my press had been removed before I got it, I didn't notice the
                                  > difference in the frames in the photos. Sorry for the bad advice,
                                  > thanks for the correction Rich.
                                  >
                                  > The serial# for my press is B321, I was told that put its build date
                                  > around 1905. There must have been some changes made to the press
                                  > between those years.
                                  >
                                  > Kevin.

                                • autumnmichellefoote
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                                    HI Rich- thank you for all of the useful information. No the treadle does not fit with in the
                                    width of the collars, just within the width if the press. I think it is great to see everyone's
                                    photos and see the differences in the years. I am so disheartened at the whole process. I
                                    just want to print. I guess I am learning a lot with all the stuff in between. For a wile I
                                    thought I was a complete and total moron! But all my assumptions have been correct and
                                    Kevin I really appreciate your post because I was considering such a thing, but again
                                    cutting original parts seemed like a bad idea too. I think that it is time to go on back to
                                    the motor. Anyone want to by a treadle? ha ha ha

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
                                      Hi Autumn
                                      Just thought I'd weigh in here with a note on my own jury-rigged treadle solution, which is a two-foot length of 2x6, a big gate-hinge, a 3/8 in. turn-buckle and a fence-post clamp (which goes around where the treadle hook would, attached with a bolt to the top of the turn-buckle)

                                      My press (and Old Style 10x15) sits on a plywood palette, and the gate hinge is lag-bolted to the plywood and the 2x6. I have a 3/8in stainless steel hook fitted to the 2x6 plank below the drive-shaft, and the turn-buckle hooks onto that and reaches up to the shaft, where, as I mentioned, I have attached a fence-post clamp around the offset, held with a bolt to the other end of the turn-buckle.

                                      I will post photos when I get back to the press, but don't give up, there's plenty of options for a treadle.

                                      This setup is not going to last fifty-years, but it's easy to replace the parts, even if it does sound like the old gate swingin' in the wind when I'm printing ;-)

                                      Here's a very rough pencil sketch, until I can get photos...

                                      http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2170476586&size=o

                                      Please excuse the clumsy drawing, my architect dad would be very disappointed if he sees it ;-)
                                      The hole through the 2x6 will end up closer to the far end of the plank than I've shown here.

                                      Cheers!

                                      Peter

                                      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
                                      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus