Vandercook 219 Worm Gear Broken 'teeth'

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
      from the distributor roller behind the ink drum.
      I opened the roller up, as it was getting stuck at one end of the drum, and occasionally stopping altogether, which of course creates big stress on the roller through friction against the drum.

      The fragments of the 'teeth' were in the internal tracks, but removing and re-greasing is insufficient, as clearly, the brass 'rider' will regularly hit this junction square-on.

      http://picasaweb.google.com/pfraterdeus/ExquisiteLetterpress/photo#5149532658981301122

      Just wondering if this piece is available from Fritz or as salvage from some other source?

      With thanks!

      peter

      Dubuque, Iowa http://www.fraterdeus.com
      http://flickr.com/photos/pfraterdeus
      http://youtube.com/user/pfraterdeus
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
        Peter

        That gear is shot but if this is the optional roller behind the drum
        that is not part of the roller cage itself, I'm wondering if you even
        need this. On most Vandercooks that I've seen that had one of these
        distributor rollers, it is missing, and with no ill effect. On those
        that still have them, they seem to be in need of replacement, and,
        could possibly be causing problems. I suspect pursuing this further is
        a pointless expense.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
          Hi Gerald

          Yep, that's the optional "fountain" roller.
          The roller only comes in contact with the drum when the press carriage is actually away from the home position. So, it's not even turning when the form rollers are in contact.

          I believe your observation is correct, in that it won't adversely affect printing.
          Only, that I've just this summer had the damned thing recovered, so it would be nice if it worked right
          :-)
          I don't recall it behaving this way before I sent it for recovering, but I can't imagine what the roller folk might have done to break it.
          Seems like those worm teeth are going to be fragile, in any case.

          Thanks for the thoughts!
          P.

          Peter Fraterdeus * PO Box 248 * Galena, Illinois * 61036 * USA
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
            Hi again

            I think I would cut my losses. Those fountain rollers need a separate
            roller hardness (as I recall) anyway. Plus, there are likely some
            parts you can scavenge. There were a number of surprising additionals
            to Vandercooks, in the later years, that are not all that necessary.

            I basically just strip them down to their essence. And keep the parts
            thusly acquired. I especially dislike cylinder guards and those
            plastic ink roller dust covers. They just lull the operator into
            everything-is-going-to-be-alright sleep mode and actually get in the
            way of efficient maintenance.

            I like to think Vandercook put a lot of useless junk on the later
            presses just because they would benefit from their replacement. Plus
            they had the Boeing mentality in regard to parts. I broke a pin once
            on one of my Vandercooks and I was quoted $20. But Vandercook didn't
            have any in stock and suggested I go to a hardware store. Well, in
            running around, no hardware store carried anything like this, but I
            spotted an industrial steel supply store. I put the broken pin on the
            counter and the clerk said that will be $20. He brought out the box
            (containing 20 or so of them) and when I said I only need one, he said
            you have to buy the box, and I asked how much. He said, I told you, $20.

          • nagraph@ekiva.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
              It looks like a broken point on the worm?? And what about the
              crescent(rider?) that rides in those grooves? I'll have to check when I
              get home next week what we have. The worm needs to be lubricated where it
              turns in its holder and lack of lubrication often causes them to stick,
              and maybe that's why the worm teeth are damaged. both the worm and the
              crescent are hardened steel.

              Fritz

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
                Heya Gerald

                >I think I would cut my losses. Those fountain rollers need a separate
                >roller hardness (as I recall) anyway. Plus, there are likely some
                >parts you can scavenge. There were a number of surprising additionals
                >to Vandercooks, in the later years, that are not all that necessary.

                Well, I'd just like it to run smooth if possible.
                The previous roller worked well enough for the first job printed on the press, 250 two-color posters printed 2 up, 8.5 x 22
                Then as my apprentice was cleaning the press, the roller literally disintegrated under her rag.

                >I like to think Vandercook put a lot of useless junk on the later
                >presses just because they would benefit from their replacement.

                That would be classic American business practice from about 1959 forward

                >... He said, I told you, $20.

                Yep...
                Probably a ten-penny nail would work in a pinch

                :-)

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
                  Hi Fritz
                  Yes, a couple of the points were broken, opposite each other.
                  The crescent seems to be fine. I didn't see any obvious wear or damage there.

                  thx
                  pf