Re: [PPLetterpress] Page border-ornament examples

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
      knharper@... writes:
      << page border or ornament printed on each page of the book >>
      Dan Waters' suggestion to look in the linotype specimen book is a good one --
      many of the old specimen books have examples.

      You might consider just a simple rule border, single or double hairline, or
      rule with corner ornaments. The books of SF printer John Henry Nash
      frequently had pages sub-divided and framed by rule.

      Dover has several clip-art books that show borders. I'd also check out Bruce
      Rogers' Paragraphs on Printing to consider the gorgeous delicate hanging
      borders he did for The Pierrot of the Minute by Ernest Dowson. It's my
      favorite such invention.

      As Rogers did, you might consider subduing the border by using a muted second
      color. A very soft color could tone down even a heavy frame to the right
      proportions, to subdue the repeated weight of the frame, keeping it in the
      background, while the text is present in black....
      Tom
    • Bryan Hutcheson
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
        Gerald,

        The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach

        The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@m...> wrote:
          > Gerald,
          >
          > The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach
          >
          > The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

          Bryan

          Ah, not familiar with Kast & Ehinger

          Superior black printing ink?

          But to reply to your question. I've found that stone lithographic
          inks work well. I use Handschy and Charbonnell. Loads of pigment,
          stiff, sticky, the usual. I bought the special Midway ink offered
          from Mr Boxcar and will be trying that out on a forthcoming project.

          All best

          Gerald
        • Kathleen Whalen
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
            Katie, take a look at what Theo Rehak has to offer on www.daleguild.com

            Some nce stuff there.

            All the best,

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            11A Printer Street
            Oldham OL1 1PN England
            (44) 0161 627 1966
            http://www.inclinepress.com
          • LSeastone@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
              The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
              pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
              oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.
              Leonard Seastone
            • Katie Harper
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                Well, now I'm really curious about why I'm getting such good results with
                thinner, runnier offset inks than I am with the stiff letterpress inks.
                Sounds like others are liking the stiffer inks better. Does it have to do
                with my presses? Papers?

                Another question: I have to replace my Microtek scanner. I don't want to buy
                another of their products again (long story having to do with lousy
                support). Am leaning toward HP 3570 cxi, as I have been impressed with HP's
                support in the past, and this one has a transparency adaptor and 1200 dpi
                optical resolution. Does anyone have experience with this or similar
                scanners, or any other recommendations?

                Thanks.

                Katie Harper
                Ars Brevis Press
                Cincinnati, OH
                513-233-9588
                http://www.arsbrevispress.com

              • Fontdr@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                  I have a Agfa Duoscan 1200 with transparency adapter and it has been trouble
                  free for 2 years. HP support is not that good either.
                  Bob Trogman
                  Palm Springs
                • Harold Kyle
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                    On 9/11/02 6:35 AM, "LSeastone@..." <LSeastone@...> wrote:
                    > The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                    > pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                    > oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.

                    We stock 1 lbs cans of Book Black if you don't want to put in the 27 lbs
                    minimum order with Midway.

                    Harold

                    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                    Boxcar Press
                    640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                    315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                    www.boxcarpress.com
                    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                  • LSeastone@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                      Thank-you Harold,

                      I have a small gang-up order that someone else is putting through right now.
                      But a large book of wood-engravings is depleting my supply very quickly so I
                      will gratefully take you up on the offer.

                      Is the recipe no. B-17421? If so contact me off list as to payment.

                      Thanks again,
                      Leonard Seastone
                      The Tideline Press