The difficulties of learning to print

  • lisa rappoport
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      Hi Bryan,
      I've been following this exchange and wanted to offer one thought toward lessening the steepness of the learning curve: reduce the variables. For example, on a C&P, which I also print on, using gudgeons instead of MERTs--I think you are already, right?--immediately eliminates six variables (that is, *assuming* your gudgeons are all the same circumference, which for years I did not realize mine weren't!). If you're a beginner at making polymer plates, for $30 you could have an expert make a couple and use those instead of the ones you've made--then you're pretty sure the plate is not the problem; that lets you concentrate on all the rest: impression, roller height, inking, etc. etc. Since you're in San Francisco, you probably already know about John Sullivan at Logos Graphics, but here's the contact info for any who might want it: 499 Alabama St. #126, San Francisco, CA 94110, 415-552-0817, john@.... He runs film & plates Tuesday & Thursday mornings usually and does beautiful work.

      As to the rollers, I've never tried printing with only two but it can't be helping the situation. If you're not ready to plunk down the $$ for a new set, contact me off-list--I have a pretty good back-up set to sell cheap.

      And you probably already know this too, but the SF Center for the Book has open print studio nights, when you can get advice & help from expert printers for $20/hour. Such a deal! The next one is tomorrow, December 13, 5-9pm; then not till January15 and about weekly thereafter.

      Best,
      Lisa Rappoport
      Littoral Press