Page border-ornament examples

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
      I'm working on a job that is going to require a very light, tasteful page
      border or ornament to be letterpress printed on each page of the book. It
      should be delicate but neither feminine nor masculine. Hard to explain, but
      I know I have seen examples, just can't think where. I have a few things in
      metal that might work, but most are heavier and more ornate in style than
      what I need, so I'll probably end up doing it digitally and making a plate.
      I have looked through all my books about books, printing, design, etc., and
      cannot find any examples of these types of things. Can anyone recommend
      books or other sources where I might find examples of this type of thing?

      Thanks.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
    • thronobulx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
        Plenty of offset inks work fine for letterpress. Some has lots of drier in
        them, so one has to be careful not to let them sit on press to long.

        James Shanley
      • LSeastone@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
          Hanco Inks are offered without driers and so can run longer on letterpress.
          Leonard Seastone
        • The Indian Hill Press
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
            Katie:

            William Addison Dwiggins designed some Deco-style piece ornaments, as
            well as several dozen lovely borders which he called his Caravan
            series, for Linotype. They've been digitized, I believe by Adobe. You
            can see them in the original metal if you own a late edition of the
            Linotype red specimen book or one of the supplements.

            Dan Waters
            Indian Hill Press

            >I'm working on a job that is going to require a very light, tasteful page
            >border or ornament to be letterpress printed on each page of the book. It
            >should be delicate but neither feminine nor masculine. Hard to explain, but
            >I know I have seen examples, just can't think where. I have a few things in
            >metal that might work, but most are heavier and more ornate in style than
            >what I need, so I'll probably end up doing it digitally and making a plate.
            >I have looked through all my books about books, printing, design, etc., and
            >cannot find any examples of these types of things. Can anyone recommend
            >books or other sources where I might find examples of this type of thing?
            >
            >Thanks.
            >

            >Katie Harper
            >Ars Brevis Press
            >Cincinnati, OH
            >513-233-9588
            >http://www.arsbrevispress.com
          • Bryan Hutcheson
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
              I primarily use rubber base offset inks but thought someone might have a
              company name they prefer to order from.

              Oil based inks are ok too as long as they aren¹t too thin. Since I also
              acquired a shops entire ink cabinet with my windmill, there are some old
              inks. I even found four unused cans of a German ink that came with the
              windmill when it was installed. I¹m not opening them or using them...I think
              they are cool things to have.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                I even found four unused cans of a German ink that came with the
                > windmill when it was installed. I1m not opening them or using them...I think
                > they are cool things to have.

                Bryan

                If those German inks say Mandelik on the label best not to open them.
                Probably full of known carcinogens. Once again, I offer my disposal
                facilities to you. Just send to the below address and I will take
                care of them. Oh yeah. Best to leave this kind of thing to the
                professionals. We're trained in these areas.

                Gerald Lange
                The Bieler Press
                4216-1/4 Glencoe Avenue
                Marina del Rey, CA 90292
              • typetom@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                  knharper@... writes:
                  << page border or ornament printed on each page of the book >>
                  Dan Waters' suggestion to look in the linotype specimen book is a good one --
                  many of the old specimen books have examples.

                  You might consider just a simple rule border, single or double hairline, or
                  rule with corner ornaments. The books of SF printer John Henry Nash
                  frequently had pages sub-divided and framed by rule.

                  Dover has several clip-art books that show borders. I'd also check out Bruce
                  Rogers' Paragraphs on Printing to consider the gorgeous delicate hanging
                  borders he did for The Pierrot of the Minute by Ernest Dowson. It's my
                  favorite such invention.

                  As Rogers did, you might consider subduing the border by using a muted second
                  color. A very soft color could tone down even a heavy frame to the right
                  proportions, to subdue the repeated weight of the frame, keeping it in the
                  background, while the text is present in black....
                  Tom
                • Bryan Hutcheson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 10, 2002
                    Gerald,

                    The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach

                    The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@m...> wrote:
                      > Gerald,
                      >
                      > The old German inks are K+E - Kast & Ehinger of Stuttgat-Feuerbach
                      >
                      > The black can says Prachtdruckschwarz 238

                      Bryan

                      Ah, not familiar with Kast & Ehinger

                      Superior black printing ink?

                      But to reply to your question. I've found that stone lithographic
                      inks work well. I use Handschy and Charbonnell. Loads of pigment,
                      stiff, sticky, the usual. I bought the special Midway ink offered
                      from Mr Boxcar and will be trying that out on a forthcoming project.

                      All best

                      Gerald
                    • Kathleen Whalen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                        Katie, take a look at what Theo Rehak has to offer on www.daleguild.com

                        Some nce stuff there.

                        All the best,

                        Graham Moss
                        Incline Press
                        11A Printer Street
                        Oldham OL1 1PN England
                        (44) 0161 627 1966
                        http://www.inclinepress.com
                      • LSeastone@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                          The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                          pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                          oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.
                          Leonard Seastone
                        • Katie Harper
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                            Well, now I'm really curious about why I'm getting such good results with
                            thinner, runnier offset inks than I am with the stiff letterpress inks.
                            Sounds like others are liking the stiffer inks better. Does it have to do
                            with my presses? Papers?

                            Another question: I have to replace my Microtek scanner. I don't want to buy
                            another of their products again (long story having to do with lousy
                            support). Am leaning toward HP 3570 cxi, as I have been impressed with HP's
                            support in the past, and this one has a transparency adaptor and 1200 dpi
                            optical resolution. Does anyone have experience with this or similar
                            scanners, or any other recommendations?

                          • Fontdr@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                              I have a Agfa Duoscan 1200 with transparency adapter and it has been trouble
                              free for 2 years. HP support is not that good either.
                              Bob Trogman
                              Palm Springs
                            • Harold Kyle
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                                On 9/11/02 6:35 AM, "LSeastone@..." <LSeastone@...> wrote:
                                > The midway ink is exceptional, but it is not a stock item and made only in 25
                                > pounds to order. It is very stiff and I add a drop or two of boiled linseed
                                > oil for large coverage printing, straight for type.

                                We stock 1 lbs cans of Book Black if you don't want to put in the 27 lbs
                                minimum order with Midway.

                                Harold

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                Boxcar Press
                                640 Fellows Avenue ~ Syracuse, NY 13210
                                315-473-0930 ~ phone and fax
                                www.boxcarpress.com
                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                              • LSeastone@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 11, 2002
                                  Thank-you Harold,

                                  I have a small gang-up order that someone else is putting through right now.
                                  But a large book of wood-engravings is depleting my supply very quickly so I
                                  will gratefully take you up on the offer.

                                  Is the recipe no. B-17421? If so contact me off list as to payment.

                                  Thanks again,
                                  Leonard Seastone
                                  The Tideline Press