Re: [PPLetterpress] Photopolymer-optimization thread

    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 17, 2001
      Justin

      Hadn't thought about Caslon that way. But of course anyone willing to
      "re-cut" a digital typeface in as many sizes as was the practice of the
      hand punchcutter would certainly want to see that face printed
      letterpress. Though I think that using it straight out of the can would
      only make it emboldened, which is another thing altogether than
      ink-spread.

      I have the first version of FontLab for the Mac but it doesn't work on
      my old computer. Just another real good reason to start saying my
      goodbyes to an old reliable friend. Thanks for the info on that.

      My solution regarding the variance to be made on a size basis for
      compensation is to make a range of altered widths. For the Moxon book I
      am working on I made an extreme thin (of LetterPerfects Old Claude which
      is quite point heavy) for a 16-line pica viewing! There were outline
      anomolies of course but since I was only going to use it as display I
      simply scanned the printouts and reworked the images in Photoshop, using
      the letterforms then as tiffs. Thanks for working out the percentages
      here. Wonder if one can really caculate this exactly. Perhaps on a
      specific project but not generally across the board? Presspacking,
      substrate, etc. would certainly function as factors of variance.

      So, what is the next step?

      Ger
    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 21, 2002
        From: Gerald Lange
        > Hrant's dogged pursuit is raging over at the type-design list

        Notably sans Hrant... "'I like to watch', he said."

        From: "author50401"
        > 18 micron = 0.0007086614 inch

        That's so embarassing. And to think that I have a minor
        in Math... A micron is 10^-6 *meters*, not centimeters. :-/

        This is great news. Dwiggins, Justin, and
        now that guy are all in the same ballpark.

        hhp